to have fun....or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a non-DIR I can say it seems to take the fun out of diving. Everyone I've seen wearing a DIR config around the quarry and such always seems serious to the point of grouchy and dedicated to the point of eliteism. I know, 'eliteism' is applied way too often to way too many things, not the least of which is the whole DIR thing... but these fellas all seem so comited to their little mission to the bottom of the quarry that they are never receptive to so much as a "Hello" much less a little joke about the water or weather.

So, as I said, it seems like they aren't having a hell of alot of fun. But, that said, it also seems like the type of diving DIR is designed for leaves very little room for error. Caving, wreck penetration, etc. is where your skills need to be spot on or you won't be having any fun at all, you'll just be running out of air and dying.

It's the people that advocate DIR rigs and training for even people who dive exclusively 50', 80 degree reefs that worry me. I think there is such a thing as overtraining.

In the very end fun is defined by the person. If someone would rather be practicing swimming with only one fin while they are masklessly sharing air, even when they're in the Bahamas... well, that's fun for them, so let them do it. It's the dicks that say, "You have to be doing what I'm doing," whether they be DIR, non-DIR, anti-DIR, KGB, MFS, whomever. If you're a missionary you suck and you're ruining the world.

I say to each their own. From a newbie's standpoint..the sport seems to be diverse. Full of wonder for someone like myself who still can't believe that I can actually breathe underwater. Raising the bar is a natural progression in any sport. There is plenty to offer here for every interest and level. That is what draws me to diving and will keep me here for years to come. HNO (humble newbie opinion). DIR vs. non-Dir should never be an issue.

Dive-on!
~C

Dyno Bill once bubbled...
Wendy, it sounds like there's hope for you.

I've just learned that there is a time to train and a time to have fun (and still be safe) and it can all be done while still being DIR.

I also hope that I am a postitive image of a diver being DIR. We all aren't rude, overbearing, elitist, arrogant, and snobby. The majority aren't any of those things, at least all the DIR divers I know aren't. Just like anything, a grou is often stereotyped by the actions of a few.

Well Finnatic type person, you have I believe hit the nail on the proverbial head. I hope you have as long and wonderful a love affair with the ocean as I have.
Bill

oh, i don't know in some ways DIR puts fun back into diving. i really like to watch some dufus struggle with a doubles rig that weighs more than they do - particularly on a shallow simple dive.
it's also fun to here the old "once you go doubles y'll never go back" line from the same people - my responce is 'once you go doubles y'll never have a back'.
that good 7 ft hoseing is funny to!

James connell once bubbled...
oh, i don't know in some ways DIR puts fun back into diving. i really like to watch some dufus struggle with a doubles rig that weighs more than they do - particularly on a shallow simple dive.
it's also fun to here the old "once you go doubles y'll never go back" line from the same people - my responce is 'once you go doubles y'll never have a back'.
that good 7 ft hoseing is funny to!

lol, if they are struggling i guess they are new to doubles, i hope...

yea, i love my doubles and yea my back doesnt :D

but ya know, that wheelchair sure looks good after a dive :wacko: :D i am saving up for an electric one.....with 4 wheel drive :wink:

Finnatic once bubbled...
DIR vs. non-Dir should never be an issue.

LOL

You really are new!

... when I'm not struggling. I don't DIR in the GUE sense, but strive on every dive to improve something over the last dive, sometimes it's equipment adjustment, sometimes attitude, sometimes air consumption, whatever. No, I don't practice skills on EVERY dive, but frequently I do. Sometimes people I'm diving with ask me if I'm OK 'cause they see me reaching back practicing closing and opening my valves. OOPS! forgot to tell him/her that sometimes I practice stuff while I'm swimmin' along. There's one instructor dude (PADI, SSI, TDI, NAUI?) I dive with sometimes that just got back from FL for full cave certification. He's almost always up for skill practice dives and I've learned a lot from him. He seems surprised that I'm actually interested in boring skills dives, since most people just want to do the fun stuff :rolleyes: Guess I'm weird, but I'm more and more seriously looking to do the cave thing this winter, so I figure the more familiar and comfortable I am with my equipment and the more comfortable I am with my skills, the better off I'll be....

From my personal experience, I have a lot of fun diving DIR. A lot more than I had before, for sure. MikeF nailed me perfectly; I'm one of those new divers for whom raising the bar also raised the fun factor.

Drills are still fun for me, though I can imagine that skills-only dives could eventually get tiresome. One of my buddies trains for Tech 1 constantly, and I finally had to talk him into doing some 'just dives'.

I think DIR is threatening to alot of people, who resent looking at their own skills in relation to their experience and having to consider the possibility that there might be some things they could, and maybe should, learn. But I think that's just part of staying open. It's hard to do.

Margaret

Back
Top Bottom