To dive the UK or not... input appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have nowhere near the experience of some of the posters but I'd say that you could easily hook-up with a good dive centre and enjoy some diving.

If you're PADI certified, then a quick check of their website will bring up a list of the centres and it's simply a case of calling around and seeing if they have any interesting dives going during your stay.

For info on UK dive sites, wrecks and marine life : UK Diving - Divernet

With regards to gear, most dive centres will rent you everything you need.... including a dry suit.

Plenty of diving around here. Just depends on the weather really. If you're looking for a day trip, Swanage, Brighton, Newhaven,and Eastbourne are all do-able from London. The farther west you go, the better the vis. Plymouth has some great diving as well. I'd be up for a day of diving while you're here. I can probably get a group together as well. Hopefully, I'll have passed my driving test by then and can actually get to the coast. Lugging kit by train sucks. I'm southwest London based, and a drysuit is a must!

Hi Lee,

As your landing in Edinburgh there are commercial operators in the area, but the East coast of weather dependant.

An alternate suggestion is come over to the West coast and dive the sea Lochs.

A bit of a journey, but Lochaline Dive Centre is both a PADI and BSAC Centre. You then get to dive some of the wrecks in the Sound of Mull.

Kind regards

Can't speak for Dublin or London, but my humble opinion is that the diving around Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth is pretty sucky.

Well, this is an old video by someone else but it pretty much sums up the dive I had on the U12 in the Forth last Sunday although I would have said the light and visibility I had were better than in this vid;

[video=youtube;8ZRiWhHzors]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRiWhHzors[/video]

Here's a repost of mine from a similar thread;

Bear in mind that in the UK in general dive charters don’t operate as they do in the US. There won’t be a DM employed by the boat leading a group of divers. If you book on a boat yourself you’ll have to sort yourself out with a buddy or dive alone (if the skipper permits solo diving).

Diving from a UK charter is your own responsibility; no-one is going to query whether you’re using tables or a computer or how you use them. I’ve never been asked to show my qualifications on a UK dive boat. Generally you fill out a Next of Kin details form, so they know who to contact in an emergency and give a note of your expected dive time, so they know if you’re overdue. Dive boats are almost invariably operated as live boats (if wreck diving a descent line will deployed) and either have a lift or a dive ladder, in either case you get back onto the boat fully kitted (no taking fins off to climb a ladder). Don’t worry about this, Skippers are always very good at bringing the boat alongside you. Diving from a RIB you will remove all your kit except fins and pass it up before finning/hauling back aboard. Deployment of a dsmb from around 6 metres is pretty much expected nowadays unless you come back up the descent line.

If you want to go on an organized trip with a DM to lead you round then you’ll need to book through a shop onto one of their scheduled trips (or they might arrange one just for you, especially if you just want to shore dive). A trip like this will look at your qualifications and be much more active in looking after you but computer diving is pretty much standard here.

I suggest contacting Edinburgh Diving Centre – they’ll be able to hire you cylinders etc. and put you on one of their trips or arrange one for you.
Edinburgh Diving Centre

Alternatively, log on to Finstrokes and ask on the forum if anyone is diving when/where you want to dive:
Finstrokes

You’ll probably find someone who’ll help you, possibly lend you a cylinder etc. and the dive guide map is extremely useful in deciding where you’d like to go.

On the east coast the water temperatures are a little bit cooler but generally there is slightly better visibility. However, the east coast is much more exposed and weather dependent. The west coast sea lochs (Loch Long and Loch Fyne) are an easy drive though and you will be able to dive there regardless of the weather. Water temperature is slightly higher but visibility generally poorer in the west.
Driving to Oban from Edinburgh and back is possible in a long day and Puffin Dive Centre do offer a shuttle RIB service and you can hire a dive guide or they can buddy you with another customer. It’s not cheap and they’re not my taste but they might suit you;

Puffin Dive Centre - Scuba Diving, Commercial Diver Training

Edinburgh to Scapa and back in a day just wouldn’t be possible. It’s a five hour drive to the ferry ports. However, if you had a weekend then it is a practical proposition. Scapa Scuba would be your best bet as an individual diver rather than the usual group of 12 chartering one of the boats.

Dive Scapa Flow Orkneys - Scapa Scuba

There's plenty of PADI dive centers around the UK, it's not just BSAC clubs.

Diving will be dictated by where you are going to be/can get to in the UK.

I used to dive Plymouth - was always easy to arrange.. and lots to do in the surrounding area (Devon/Cornwall). I highly recommend Aquanauts, if you are in that area. Wonderful diving - both wreck and temperate reef from there.

If you want to arrange direct out of London, you might want to contact London School of Diving.

September in the English Channel is quite do-able in a wetsuit.
DevonDiver, thanks for the input and I looked into Aquanauts. Following up on your recommendation, I found many positive reviews on Aquanauts and seriously considering them. Thanks again for you time and experiences in the area.
If you can get that far, I really reccommend Scubadive west (www.scubadivewest.com). It's in the far west of Ireland, great diving, at its warmest in September. The island safaris that they run go to some of the best sites around. Their pet wreck is a bit tame though.
brianthediver and Dave, Ireland might be off limits for diving as the wife plans Ireland and I get the UK... but thanks again to taking the time to reply...
I have nowhere near the experience of some of the posters but I'd say that you could easily hook-up with a good dive centre and enjoy some diving.

If you're PADI certified, then a quick check of their website will bring up a list of the centres and it's simply a case of calling around and seeing if they have any interesting dives going during your stay.

For info on UK dive sites, wrecks and marine life : UK Diving - Divernet

With regards to gear, most dive centres will rent you everything you need.... including a dry suit.
RichWilx, thanks for chiming in and the Divernet has a lot of information that is quite helpful... Thanks again, lee
Plenty of diving around here. Just depends on the weather really. If you're looking for a day trip, Swanage, Brighton, Newhaven,and Eastbourne are all do-able from London. The farther west you go, the better the vis. Plymouth has some great diving as well. I'd be up for a day of diving while you're here. I can probably get a group together as well. Hopefully, I'll have passed my driving test by then and can actually get to the coast. Lugging kit by train sucks. I'm southwest London based, and a drysuit is a must!
rivers, Thanks so much for the invite... Those of us out here really appreciate such an offer. DevonDiver pointed me to Aquanauts over in Plymouth and I may very well be heading that way... I will chat with you later if I find myself heading that way. Thanks again, lee
Hi Lee,

As your landing in Edinburgh there are commercial operators in the area, but the East coast of weather dependant.

An alternate suggestion is come over to the West coast and dive the sea Lochs.

A bit of a journey, but Lochaline Dive Centre is both a PADI and BSAC Centre. You then get to dive some of the wrecks in the Sound of Mull.

Kind regards
Edward, I am hearing good things about diving this area... Looking at the map, I can see where this can be a bit troublesome to get to but if the payoff outweighs the time spent well, I am sure it has to be a beautiful drive so maybe a win/win situation! Thanks, lee

---------- Post Merged at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Well, this is an old video by someone else but it pretty much sums up the dive I had on the U12 in the Forth last Sunday although I would have said the light and visibility I had were better than in this vid;

Hickdive, you have given me some homework to do... Looks like a nice dive and I was looking into the history of the sub it self. Pretty interesting and after watching the video you provided, I found a few more videos and thinking hard about it... I have not looked into the dive centers you provided but since I was out diving this weekend, I wanted to reply to the many that have taken the time and provide me with information regarding diving the UK... Hope I can repay the favor some day! lee

Hi there... another recommendation for Aquanauts... Gr8 boat and really nice folks.. only issue might be its 6hrs drive from London... not sure about public transport... Plymouth has lots of good dive sites though. ... Another option there is Indeep over at the Mountbatten Centre which has good accommodation also.. Another idea is if you want to dive closer to London, then at Portsmouth... Try Adventure College ( aka Wight Diver).. nice friendly outfit..
John

Hi there - if your ever in Scotland and on the West Coast - we run a company called http://www.just-dive.co.uk/ - and we offer scuba diving guided dives locally! Our waters are cold - but to be honest, the visibility can be spectacular and we have at the moment got both Basking Sharks and Orca's doing the rounds off the west coast! Not to mention the seals, sea-lions, lobsters the size of your head, scallops - you name it - it's there! We provide BCD's, tanks, regs and weights and would only require you to bring your own Drysuit and undersuit! Bear it in mind if your keen! Many thanks for reading - Best Fishes! Laura

John, thanks for the input as it is always good to get more than one opinion regarding shops and areas...

Laura, Now I am very intrigued by the thought of seeing Killer Whales... I have dove with Tiger Sharks, Whale Sharks, Sand Tigers, White tip, Hammerheads, Galapagos sharks but never a Whale... This has gotten my attention!!! This just may be the dive...!

Mala, thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts and insight...

Chris, two things, 1, It would be just myself heading out for the dive while the others gallivanted out and about and 2, are you saying the NC/SC wrecks have more to offer than those of the UK and Ireland??? Please tell me your kidding... We do have some good wreck dives but I have to imagine the wrecks over in the UK have got to be superb... Perhaps non technical diving has little to offer where as technical diving opens another world of wrecks...?

Thanks again to all... lee
Unfortunately, yes I'm serious. NC has better viz, more fish on the wrecks, warmer water, and of course raggies. You won't see anything like that in the channel

[video=youtube;8ZRiWhHzors]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRiWhHzors[/vide

Is that the one in about 45m off the May Isle? - which boat did you use to get there? - or is it near enough to be ok just taking a rib out?

Edinburgh to Scapa and back in a day just wouldn’t be possible. It’s a five hour drive to the ferry ports. However, if you had a weekend then it is a practical proposition. Scapa Scuba would be your best bet as an individual diver rather than the usual group of 12 chartering one of the boats.

Dive Scapa Flow Orkneys - Scapa Scuba

Most of the boats in Orkney tend not to go out on Saturdays, unless it's the winter - we jumped on the jean Elaine for a day a couple of weeks ago - an easy day on the karlsruhe and F2 - a good 15m vis on both, the fish were a positive pest getting in the way of pictures - and all in enough time to get the late boat home to Gills. Visiblity in the Far North is sitting anywhere between 10-20m at the moment

---------- Post Merged at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Unfortunately, yes I'm serious. NC has better viz, more fish on the wrecks, warmer water, and of course raggies. You won't see anything like that in the channel

No-one is saying it's the same as NC - it's just different. The wrecks are superb, no, we don't get raggies here, but there can be huge shoals of fish, especially late in the summer, we see seals almost every dive locally ( N Scotland, not the channel) and often see dolphins, porpoises with occasional basking sharks and orca. If you look at Caithness Dive club on facebook page, not sure what we've got posted on open bit, but it is very clear at the moment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom