To dive the UK or not... input appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I find myself in a bit of a dilemma here... A bunch of us, more than a dozen (family, in-laws) are heading to over to spend a week in Ireland and a week in the UK come Sept 1. Me and the wife are the only divers of the bunch and my wife won't dive cold water so here I am trying to make a decision on whether to dive or not to...

Normally, I would be chomping at the bit to dive the wrecks off the coast but with keeping others in mind not sure its possible. If I do decide to dive I would have little to no gear with me. Have to travel lite due to space otherwise I would be hauling all of my gear, still may carry some!!!

Am I going to regret not taking the plunge... I believe I will... so I am here asking those of you in the know, is there a spot that I absolutely need to dive while I am in the area (cause I know there is) or should I keep the regrets to myself and spend time with the family...?

Just a little fyi, I have been lucky and have traveled to many places in the world with the exception of southeast Asia but spent 3 months in India... Extensive travel in Europe as I lived and worked in the area for @ 5 years (non military) but was not diving at the time (oh, how I wished I started diving so much younger) The UK and Ireland have always been a special spot for me and I wanted to take some time to visit both countries (not the token 3 days in London) so with the two weeks coming up I will at least get a taste of both...

I would really appreciate some input with this as I have been going back and forth in my mind for a couple of months now on what to do!!!

Thanks again for any suggestions on how to handle this situation!!! Anyone looking for a non technical buddy??? :wink:

lee

where in the uk will you be.

the water is warm in september but you will need a drysuit and a bit of good luck with the weather.

Yea, we have the same problem with weather off shore here in North Carolina... As far as the UK goes, 7 days and its an open book with 2 days or so in London. I know were flying out of Dublin to Edinburgh and from there were flying out of London. Other than that, not a whole lot of plans set in stone or that could not be altered one way or the other...

I had assumed a drysuit was the normal setup over there but if I start hauling my dry gear then I would start looking at hauling the rest of my gear as well and that would be getting expensive in both cost of flying with em' and space... Really not looking to be hauling 2 or 3 bags through the country BUT; I may just get it all packed and see where I stand... Was not sure if Drysuits would be something you could rent over their or what but like I said, wondering if I should take advantage of the time...

I know I have options as I could take only the dry gear, the dry gear, regs, mask, and fins and leave the bp/w and rent locally, or haul it all... It would be sad to haul it all over just to find out you got a hard blow going on and never make it in...!!!

One more question, Rental tanks over in the area... DIN or yoke?

all tanks are din.
they have valve inserts for anyone using the older stuff.

if you are in west scotland the sound of mull is nice.
east scotland you have the farne islands.
anywhere around cornwall is good.
english channel.
wrecks everywhere.
bring drysuit and mask/fins.
rest is easily rented.

I wouldn't bother. Chances of the entire group having a good time with the boat, weather and rentals all cooperating is fairly slim. UK diving is great if you have your own gear, you have a few weekends to tweak it and a season to spend getting a few good dives in. A a recreational level, I reckon you would have more fun sightseeing in London. Unless you are a tech diver or can get somewhere like the Farne islands it won't compare to NC with those sand tigers and subs!

You have to remember that most diving in the UK is club diving. Accordingly as well as renting the gear, you are probably going to have to tag along with a local dive club. Two other things to remember are: (i) diving, especially in September, is going to be highly weather dependent, and (ii) UK diving is dominated by tides - make sure you understand the significance of starting and finishing your dive during slack tide.

Can't speak for Dublin or London, but my humble opinion is that the diving around Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth is pretty sucky.

all tanks are din.
they have valve inserts for anyone using the older stuff.

if you are in west scotland the sound of mull is nice.
east scotland you have the farne islands.
anywhere around cornwall is good.
english channel.
wrecks everywhere.
bring drysuit and mask/fins.
rest is easily rented.

Mala, thanks for taking the time and sharing your thoughts and insight...

I wouldn't bother. Chances of the entire group having a good time with the boat, weather and rentals all cooperating is fairly slim. UK diving is great if you have your own gear, you have a few weekends to tweak it and a season to spend getting a few good dives in. A a recreational level, I reckon you would have more fun sightseeing in London. Unless you are a tech diver or can get somewhere like the Farne islands it won't compare to NC with those sand tigers and subs!

Chris, two things, 1, It would be just myself heading out for the dive while the others gallivanted out and about and 2, are you saying the NC/SC wrecks have more to offer than those of the UK and Ireland??? Please tell me your kidding... We do have some good wreck dives but I have to imagine the wrecks over in the UK have got to be superb... Perhaps non technical diving has little to offer where as technical diving opens another world of wrecks...?

You have to remember that most diving in the UK is club diving. Accordingly as well as renting the gear, you are probably going to have to tag along with a local dive club. Two other things to remember are: (i) diving, especially in September, is going to be highly weather dependent, and (ii) UK diving is dominated by tides - make sure you understand the significance of starting and finishing your dive during slack tide.

Can't speak for Dublin or London, but my humble opinion is that the diving around Edinburgh and the Firth of Forth is pretty sucky.

Rhone, I was not aware of the diving clubs... So this has caught me totally off guard as I had made some assumptions as to liken it to the states or many other area of diving...

Thanks again to all... lee

There's plenty of PADI dive centers around the UK, it's not just BSAC clubs.

Diving will be dictated by where you are going to be/can get to in the UK.

I used to dive Plymouth - was always easy to arrange.. and lots to do in the surrounding area (Devon/Cornwall). I highly recommend Aquanauts, if you are in that area. Wonderful diving - both wreck and temperate reef from there.

If you want to arrange direct out of London, you might want to contact London School of Diving.

September in the English Channel is quite do-able in a wetsuit.

If you can get that far, I really reccommend Scubadive west (www.scubadivewest.com). It's in the far west of Ireland, great diving, at its warmest in September. The island safaris that they run go to some of the best sites around. Their pet wreck is a bit tame though.

If you can get that far, I really reccommend Scubadive west (www.scubadivewest.com). It's in the far west of Ireland, great diving, at its warmest in September. The island safaris that they run go to some of the best sites around. Their pet wreck is a bit tame though.

I dived with them along time ago and it is a great spot, and nice guys

Back
Top Bottom