To Buy Tanks or Not to Buy Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful, this is that path that leads to asking the same question with the word "compressor" in place of the word "tank".

Ike

That's what's been going through my mind lately!! I have managed to get somethings under control tho, I'm down to 15 tanks, and am trying to sell a few more :D

Seriously tho, owning a tank or two is nice. Makes life really easy to just hop out for a dive or two when the moment strikes you.

It all depends. If you shore dive, it might be a very smart move. If you dive exclusively on boats which provide tanks and weights, it may not be. Personally, I can't imagine being that regular a diver and not owning tanks. At one time I had six of them but I'm down to two now.

I just bought my first tank, steel hp100 and as pricey as it was, I don't regret it at all! Most of my LDS's close at 6pm and I don't get out of work till around after that. I usually ended going to sports chalet, and they only rent AL80s, no other options... plus it takes awhile sometimes. Anyways, I'm diving about as frequently as you and it's just so much easier to drop off my tank to get a fill, pick it up whenever and know that on a whim I can just pack up and go on a night dive or whatever. Also, it's nice to always have the same tank and therefore the same weight.. and no adjustments to the BC (okay, so that's just being lazy!).

For my first tanks I found two Faber LP 95's in great condition for $200/each. I felt I couldn't pass them up. Now I love the flexibility I have. Just keep them filled and ready.

I go diving about 2-3 weekends per month and am considering buying tanks to save on the rental costs (tanks are the only piece of scuba gear that I do not own). Is it really worth the money you will save on rental costs to invest in a pair of aluminum tanks and keep them in current hydro/vis? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Rather than looking at costs, you should look at what effect owning tanks would have on your diving. For many people, owning a couple of tanks and having them sitting filled out in the garage makes it easier for them to go diving.

The relative costs are secondary, although I have heard divers moan about the high indirect cost of owning tanks --- all the extra gear they end up buying while waiting around for their tanks to be filled. :)

Yet another benefit to owning your tanks is that your choice in tanks for purchase is often much greater than the choices available for rent.

Back
Top Bottom