To buy equipment on-line or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface:
You may not get a warranty with it, or who knows if it was discontinued and sitting around on a shelf somewhere.

The same thing can happen to you if you buy from an LDS. And if you buy from an authorized online dealer, you ARE getting the manufacturer's warranty.

The whole LDS/online issue seems pretty ridiculous to me when you think about the fact that most online stores ARE an LDS to someone.

You got your LDS in my internet store! No, you got your internet store in my LDS! Two great tastes that taste great together.

or you live 10 minutes away from ScubaToys and have your cake and eat it too! sorry folks...

You know, every now and then I hear that "On line - stuff sitting around for years... blah, blah..."

Our turn rate on gear is probably 3-4 times any of my friends local shops. They will have items that are a year or two old. We rotate our stock... much like milk, and for example, popular regs or computers, I doubt they are in the shop for more than 3-4 weeks. Doesn't higher volume dictate that?? So I don't get where that argument comes from, unless they are talking about some eBay sale of old stuff sitting around.

rickdds:
or you live 10 minutes away from ScubaToys and have your cake and eat it too! sorry folks...
Dude, that is just wrong! Don't flaunt your fortunes. :05: :07: :05:

Penopolypants:
You got your LDS in my internet store! No, you got your internet store in my LDS! Two great tastes that taste great together.

Scuba equipment shopping never sounded so tasty!

pnut_cup350.jpg

I just don't understand the "Don't buy life support equipment online" argument. If you are buying online from and authorized and knowledgeable dealer (ScubaToys for example) why would buying online be any different than buying local?

John

jpsexton:
I just don't understand the "Don't buy life support equipment online" argument. If you are buying online from and authorized and knowledgeable dealer (ScubaToys for example) why would buying online be any different than buying local?

John

jp,

There really is no difference with a LDS online seller, except perhaps a minor shipping time to exchange or service gear.

In the past, some mail order stores often sold gear without checking it out, or assembling anything.

Manufactureres get approached all the time by individuals that want to open an online only store... without any service station, air station, or instructional department. It amazes me that they think nobody else ever thought of that idea.
Would you want to buy from such an operation?

Chad

Chad Carney:
jp,

Manufactureres get approached all the time by individuals that want to open an online only store... without any service station, air station, or instructional department. It amazes me that they think nobody else ever thought of that idea.
Would you want to buy from such an operation?

Chad

I'd rather buy from the guy who does not charge me an extra $100 for "dealer prep" unless I want it. I'm fully capable of doing those kinds of things myself. If I run into a problem, I'll either fix it myself or seek to invoke whatever warrenty came with it.

Were we talking cars or regulators? Oh, I guess it doesn't much matter. My response seem to fit either one.

rapidiver:
Scuba equipment shopping never sounded so tasty!

pnut_cup350.jpg

:lol:

Dang, now I'm hungry.:05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom