To buy equipment on-line or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexgottz

Registered
Reaction score
Hey fellow scubaboarders

I just finished my advanced open water classes and want to buy my own equipment, cant stand renting anymore. Do you think its ok to buy equipment off the internet, if so what is a good site, or should I buy it from a dive shop???

Thanks,
AlexGottZ

Larry at ScubaToys.com Try to contact him by PM or phone, not through email.

No, you should not buy from the internet. You will have to waste a lot of time on sites like this doing research and then you will probably have to waste even more time finding ways to spend the $$$ you will likely save.

But to be fair, it shouldn't hurt to do a little research (on prices) and then talk to the shops in your area to see if they can be competative. But be tactful and sensetive as some shops may try to punish you for even bringing up the subject.

Alex, I do not know what part of the country or world you live in, but internet purchasing can be quite helpful. Many people are not lucky enough to have good local shops with lots of variety and good service.

I would say it would be helpful to support your local shops if they have fair prices and good service. I buy plenty of my stuff locally. But sometimes, you can get just what you want online, at a better price. Usually, if my local shop can come within 10-15% of the price, I buy locally. I am interested in them being there over the long run, but I am trying to get a fair deal as well.

LOTS of threads on this very topic, and they can get very heated. try searches for topic titles with leisurepro, scubatoys, lds* (you need the wildcard for three letters to be searchable), online, internet. once you get one, look at the bottom of your screen for the 'similar threads' field & see if there are any there you'd like to read.

now, go make some popcorn & sit back...you've uncaged a monster!

I buy a lot from the internet, not just scuba gear. It's a great way to get deals and special, hard to get items. I've recently bought 2 used pairs of ScubaPro jetfins on EBay that were never used (well, you can't tell if they were) and one was $25 and the other $45. There's one dealer in town who sells SP and he doesn't carry the jetfins. Wanted a lot more to order them, too.

I bought my regulator, computer, and BC from a LDS, but I bought my wetsuit at an online place because that same local guy (again the only store in town) had a 100% + markup on the suit from the MSRP and from what every other local shop I asked in the lower 48. I knew my size so that was easy.

What I do is decide what I want and then go the manufacturer to see if they have an MSRP. Then I check the prices at brick and morter stores outside my state for prices. I only have 3 shops available here and they have small inventories and are not distributors for everything that I've been interested in. With those prices in hand I visit my LDS and see what they offer. They don't give discounts or try to match any shop anywhere--ever. So basically at that point I decide if the savings the other places offer PLUS shipping are still cheaper than locally. Almost always is in my case. By over $50. Stuff like dive booties it's more like $5 so that I would buy locally. Same goes for surface marker buoys and masks.

The process only takes about 30 minutes on the internet and I always use the same sites so I don't have to hunt around for online places. I would recommend Scubatoys. They offer a discount to scubaboard members and that offsets a lot of the cost for shipping (depending on what you get). I also occassionally buy stuff from LeisurePro but the savings has to be substantial as their shipping options are a bit more limited and thus cost more. diversdirect.com has a limited inventory in each category, but I just bought my O'Neill Reactor wetsuit from them and the price, shipping, and customer service was great.

Research the prices, check online, check your local shops. Eventually you will see which is the best way for you to go. If you do it well you will save hundreds of dollars. Just don't buy life support equipment from places that don't offer the manufacturer's warranty.

That's my .2 cents

We've had this discussion how many times? But seriously I'm posting because my opinion has changed. Originally I would have said buy from wherever you get the best price.

But I have found that there is a compromise and it is worth it. If you purchase from an authorized dealer I think that manufacturers are willing to go beyond their official warranty when it comes to supporting you. I've had two experiences like this and both with Oceanic.

First time, they sent me a new spinner knife sheath because the first one wouldn't hold the knife properly. Second time, they're replacing an air cell on a two year old BC. Air cells aren't even covered under the warranty.

So, for me, it's more important to buy from an authorized dealer than from your LDS. Even if the authorized dealer happens to sell products on-line (which is allowed by some manufacturers). Scubatoys is one example and dolphinscuba is another.

P

Its a matter of choices. If your LDS is a good one( mine is ), has inventory, does service, is competative with the internet, and does custom air fills, then your lucky. Otherwise the internet offers options and its not all about price, availibilty is important and proximity to your LDS comes into play with $3 a gallon gas. I've had decent luck with ordering on line, it depends on the items. Size does matters like tanks for instance. Does your discount get eaten up by shipping? Your LDS can help you set up your rig, but many times the only sell their products. And then there is that waranty thing, like just before your scuba outing the b#$ch breaks. I'd pay $5 more if I can pick it up today and return it if it fails. But it does pay to shop.

www.northeastscubasupply.com

As soon as my LDS become competative with the online dealers, I'll be happy to support them. Untill then, LeisurePro and Scubatoys..........yeah! Now, what am I going to do with all this money I saved, oh that's right, pay my divorce lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom