To Blue Hole or not Blue Hole...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I remember right, I think it's part of the music from the movie "The twilight Zone" and not the series show.

I'll have to check.

Good job on the video. I recognize DM Brad from his diving style.

Thanks!

Yep!

That was him! Great folks at Turneffe Island Lodge!

My wife and I were going to dive the BH last year when we were at TIF. I'm a newbie and she is AOW, but still with only 50 or so dives. Both of us were very comfortable diving that week, no bouancy issues, etc. However, after discussing the dive with the DM on the way to the BH, we pulled the plug on going down. The DM installed no confidence in us that he would be there if the **** hit the fan (I know that we are responsible for ourselves, not the DM) and I didn't feel comfortable that I would be able to assist my wife at that depth if something went wrong. The BH will likely be there the next time we go to Belize if we choose to dive it.

We did dive around the edge which was somewhat interesting. I think my max depth was around 70 ft.

I think there are two types of divers who choose to skip the Blue Hole: those without much experience and those with a ton of experience.

Generally speaking, of course.

If you're interested in geology, it's a great dive. If not....zzzzzzzz.

Everyone I can find who is a credible diver tells me the Blue Hole can be completely skipped and you will miss very little. Good viz, bad viz, current or whatever. It just isn't much to see. Better off spending valuable dive days where they count... (like maybe a reef).

I will always refer people to the article i wrote which explains in detail this mentality about divers and there opinions on the Blue Hole. If you wish to read it its located at

Belize's GREAT BLUE HOLE Is it Really Worth Diving and will explain this dive in detail and will allow you to make an informed decision whether to include it when you visit Belize.

All I can say is in the 15 years of selling and taking divers to the Blue Hole I can honestly say i have never ever had a diver come back and say that was crap and a complete waste of a day.

Some say glad I did it but wont do it again but never had a complaint about the trip

Gaz

Well...if you went all that way and ONLY did the Blue Hole, you might get a few mild complaints. The next two dives are world class.

Your right Hank the overall day is a great day out and a great contrast to the diving along the Barrier Reef especially the 2 wall dives which are truly world class.

As I mention in the article its normally the experienced active divers that are not that impressed the average vacation diver likes the dive.

On the message boards it tend to be the active divers that are the regular posters hense the lack of enthusiasm for the dive.

Gaz

Back
Top Bottom