To Blue Hole or not Blue Hole...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know, Peter. And I understand that you don't really approve of the dives that are being done, too, even though you may not find them as awful as DCBC and I seem to think they are.

I do think that having some tech training and experience tends to make one much more aware of risks and possible problems than the average person with just OW/AOW training. And my acceptable endpoint isn't that everybody survives unscathed -- to me, if people run out of gas or get heavily narced and have to be helped to the surface on a regular basis, that dive shouldn't be run, or at least run the way it is.

But it is, and the OP asked about it, and he's heard all our various feelings, so I think the thread has served its purpose.

I have reported to PADI what I regarded as dangerous practices here (in Belize but not locally here in San Pedro), which in one case actually resulted in a fatality, and I know of no case where effective action was taken. We have a barrier reef to traverse before and after a dive - what do you think of a dive operation that three times in one week (twice in one day) has boats that run out of fuel? I take it you understand the significance of the barrier reef?

Yes I do understand and I appreciate your clarification. As it has all been said, I won't bore anyone further. It doesn't say much though for the state of Belize diving. Your support of standards is appreciated.

It doesn't say much though for the state of Belize diving

Not really true - it doesn't say much for enforcement of standards. Several operators here operate to the highest international standards.

Not really true - it doesn't say much for enforcement of standards. Several operators here operate to the highest international standards.

While others obviously don't.

I have done the Blue Hole twice...once with a land based operator (Big Fish from Caye Caulker) and once with Nekton. Big Fish split a relatively small group into two...more experienced with one DM and the less experienced with another DM with a smaller ratio. Regardless of the group they were constantly checking air and the deepest part of the dive was very short. Hang tanks were at the surface. Nekton, by the time we did the dive, knew each of the diver's skill sets but still the DM's kept close by. While it may not be a dive for everyone, it is not so overwhelming to exclude anyone but AOW.

As to whether or not the dive was worth it....it's kind of like sleeping with the Head Cheerleader or the Captain of the Football Team...probably not very good but at least something to brag about.

As noted the other two dives on the three dive trip are outstanding.

Anyway, I'm endorsing a commercial venture here to give free up-market air-conditioned accommodation to people who book a week's diving, and I can assure you that that diving will be with an operator that as well as is possible DOES comply with accepted standards.

Not sure i or Pedro would call Pedros Hotel up market Peter, but for sure excellent value for money for someone looking for a clean no frills inexpensive accomodation on Ambergris Caye.

Pedros is also home to Pedros bar which is the islands local hang out bar offering Pool and Poker nights. Pedro is an island character not to everyones taste but once you get to know him you know his self inflicted nickname Ass%%$$ is not really true, I particulary like his t shirt which says My Mom Said I could be anything I want when I grow up so I chose to be an ******* :)

classic

He has a great offer for the summer 4 days of 2 tank local dives, 1 day at the Blue Hole and also 1 Night dive for $640 US per person including hotel which is a real steal I believe he uses Amigos Del Mar for the diving which is a good op.

His hotel is not on the beach but its only 5 minutes from the Beach and has a pool onsite check out his site at www.Pedroshotel.com

Gaz Cooper

Last edited:
- it doesn't say much for enforcement of standards. Several operators here operate to the highest international standards.

Many destinations feature a well known dive that will violate one or more rules laid out by training agencies.

The attraction of the Blue Hole has always amazed me- it really isn't all that much. Consider the fact that the picture that you see of it is ALWAYS the one taken from 15,000 feet... No-one "markets" the dive with an u/w picture. Think about that.

Picture10-6.png

It's a "get your ticket punched" kind of log-book dive. Go do it if you must. Maybe if you haven't yet seen that Whale Shark that you've just been dying to "get", maybe this will help? It fulfills other needs, as in the common question you get asked at the office: "How deep do you go?" Now, you have a story to tell.

Belize has a thousand other, better dives. But the marketing behind this dive, the snappy picture from the airplane, the Cousteau mystique, all that- combines to be the (literal) poster dive of Belize.

It's just marketing. And, as with many things, those who "buy it" are compelled to rave about it. This helps to solidify their decision in doing it in the first place. Besides, for many newer divers, they need to see big things in order to have a memory.

So the "answer" will always remain elusive.

One thing that nobody ever mentions- it's a damned long, long way away from a chamber. Many hours.

Your right in a sense Doc but to get a good underwater picture in the Blue Hole is extremely difficult as most dives are conducted early morning and the light for photography tends to be not good so early in the morning. I do have a couple of underwater pics on my site but again diffcult to get a good one.

Belize has a thousand other, better dives. But the marketing behind this dive, the snappy picture from the airplane, the Cousteau mystique, all that- combines to be the (literal) poster dive of Belize
Cant argue with that comment

It's just marketing. And, as with many things, those who "buy it" are compelled to rave about it. This helps to solidify their decision in doing it in the first place. Besides, for many newer divers, they need to see big things in order to have a memory.
I disgree slighly with this after taking literally hundreds and hundreds of divers to the Blue Hole in the past and overall, with the exception of experienced divers, the divers loved the Hole, its something completely different for a lot of divers to experience, the eerie feeling the odd shark silouette as they look up, the stalagtites etc

The next 2 dives on the trip are awesome and anyone that did not particulary like the hole certianly can only rave about the other 2 dives.

There is a big demand for the Blue hole trip, it was tried a few years back to just do a trip excluding the Blue Hole and just dive the walls which would be an awesome trip but it could not be filled without including the Hole.

One thing that nobody ever mentions- it's a damned long, long way away from a chamber. Many hours.]
cant argue again your right, however we now have a helicopter which can be used in bad emergencys and also theres an airstrip which has been used in the past to evac divers from that area. which makes travel time 15 minutes to the chamber, but your right if by boat its at least 2 hours and a half.

Gaz Cooper

It should be noted that there is but one helicopter and it often isn't available to go out to Lighthouse. DIVE CONSERVATIVELY!

Peter

I have read all your postings here and I have a questions for you

Have you ever taken paying divers to the Blue Hole and dove below 200ft on a regular tank of Air ??

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom