To Auto White Balance or Not to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnpat1982

Contributor
Reaction score
Beaumont, Texas "The Right Side of Texas"
# of dives
25 - 49
Being new to UW photography and the DC1400, I have a question that probably has been asked many times. Is it best to manually white balance or to use Auto white balance with the DC1400? I am tired of all of my shots coming out with a blue tint unlike the nice photos that wrench posted. This photo was taken at 40'-60', no flash, used all Auto settings. Clear Skies.

Attachments

• Dive Parrot Fish.jpg
    Dive Parrot Fish.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 267
A strobe would do you wonders. I'm not Familiar with that camera, I use a canon s100 with a sea and sea ys-d1, but I don't auto balance. I shoot in manual or aperture/shutter priority and use the strobe to add light. Since you don't have a strobe you will need to manually adjust your white balance every picture to compensate for depth and lighting changes.

If you're sick of the blue there's a few things you can do:

1. Stay shallow. 50' is too deep to get decent colour. Your best depth is within the 0-40' range.
2. Get close- really tricky with some fish.
3. Get the sun at your back.
4. Shoot at eye-level or slightly from underneath.

If your camera can white-balance- definitely use it! Auto-WB usually works only when adding an external light source such as a strobe. Internal flash can help but you need to be within a couple of feet of the subject- 12 inches is better... (she said).

I think the most important tip is staying really shallow- or leaving the camera alone until you ascend to the shallows. You will see a big difference at 10-15'.

See here for tips on getting shots without strobes:
Great Underwater Photos Without a Strobe|Underwater Photography Guide

My buddy dives Faber Blue Steel tanks so I always set my white balance to his tanks. Keep in mind that any significant changes in depth will change what your camera sees and you could end up with some very odd colors.

But the biggest thing that will do you good at those depths is a decent strobe.

Yes it does have a manual white balance. And I use my white Nova Seawing fins for the manual white balance.:D

I use custom white balance on my camera and set it using the white of my slate once I am at depth.

I don't think sea life does custom white balance.

Yes it does have a manual white balance. And I use my white Nova Seawing fins for the manual white balance.:D

Well then, There is the answer to the OP. Use manual white balance. If you don't have something white to make a white balance shot then use the sandy bottom to set white balance.

I just use the palm of my hand- works a treat. The 'white' doesn't need to be 'snow white'- even something grey will normally do the trick. At depths below 3ata, you'll struggle without a decent flash.

I've been looking for a reason to justify white Seawing Novas... thank you!!! :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom