TNF Base Camp Duffel as a dive bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech3324

Lionfish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone use The North Face Base Camp duffel as a dive bag for boat diving? I'm looking at the XL size, 19"x19"x32". The North Face Base Camp Duffel - X Large at REI.com

Couple of features I really like, it has backpack straps on the front for carrying to and from the car. And it has a waterproof body so it doesn't leak in the car after the dive.

Anyone use The North Face Base Camp duffel as a dive bag for boat diving? I'm looking at the XL size, 19"x19"x32". The North Face Base Camp Duffel - X Large at REI.com

Couple of features I really like, it has backpack straps on the front for carrying to and from the car. And it has a waterproof body so it doesn't leak in the car after the dive.

Did you end up getting this bag? If so, how do you like it as a dive bag? I saw it on clearance at Sport Authority for $60 USD.

Buy it, regardless of whether you want to use it as a dive bag. They're great duffels and will hold up to most any abuse. I have a bunch of the older ones with the more rubbery coating, which is unsurprisingly better than the newer, stiffer, more planet friendly coating (which is still decent but doesn't like getting smashed between a hard surface like a steel tank neck and another hard surface like a tarmac), and they work well for hauling all your worldly possessions around the globe. You can fit two reasonably large adults into one of the biggest duffles with a little work and some tools.

They don't make the best dive bags only because they hold in water and moist air (however, the seams and zipper are not sealed, so not truely waterproof either), but they do put up with the abuse of salt water very well and unlike mesh bags they're not prone to tearing apart easily.

Did you end up getting this bag? If so, how do you like it as a dive bag? I saw it on clearance at Sport Authority for $60 USD.
Yes, I bought it in yellow, and it is my go to dive bag. I love being able to wear it as a backpack when going to and from the dive boat. The other great feature is that it rolls up small when empty to store on the dive boats. I dive out of a collapsable crate at my dive station, so I empty the bag into the crate and store the bag away. Much more convenient than the big roller bags.

$60 is an incredible price, mine was probably double that. I recommend you buy it.

I have a bunch of the older ones with the more rubbery coating, which is unsurprisingly better than the newer, stiffer, more planet friendly coating (which is still decent but doesn't like getting smashed between a hard surface like a steel tank neck and another hard surface like a tarmac), and they work well for hauling all your worldly possessions around the globe.

I've got to agree with this - the quality/ruggedness of newer generation bags does seem to have declined. I used a TNF duffle for many years (hence my earlier post in the thread), and it was literally dragged around the globe, strapped to the side of a Land Rover for weeks on the Belize/Guatamalan border, piled on a Land Cruiser roof in the Rub' al Khali, kicked unceremoniously from the tail ramps of countless C-130s, humped and dumped around rat infested pits across Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam..

It remains, to this day, intact and proud.

Shortly after my initial post here (2010), I tried my luck with a different bag.. a Mountain Hardware duffle/expedition bag. I thought it'd be the same, but it wasn't. Like the newer TNF bag, it was a thinner, stiffer material. Needless to say, I was disappointed in the performance - especially the durability. After a year in the Philippines, it was a wreck. Not the most expeditionary demands, but it was humped and dumped on jeepneys, moto-tricyles and buses on a regular basis. It suffered pin-hole punctures, then splits and then the base material just crumbled away in places.

I've noticed a similar trend; from ruggedness to light-weight/portability across the market with climbing/expeditionary kit. I've been looking around for a serious backpack for the last 6 months, but found nothing that'd cope with the necessary abuses. Even the military surplus stuff seems flimsy compared to what I used in the 80/90/00's.

I've noticed a similar trend; from ruggedness to light-weight/portability across the market with climbing/expeditionary kit. I've been looking around for a serious backpack for the last 6 months, but found nothing that'd cope with the necessary abuses. Even the military surplus stuff seems flimsy compared to what I used in the 80/90/00's.

If you can find an Arcteryx pack (not the crap they churned out for USMC, either) made in Canada and not outrageously priced you'll probably get both lightweight and durability, but what you really need is anything made by Mystery Ranch. I have their 3 day assault, a SATL, and a Tactiplane in case I want to carry a huge amount of weight... all are incredibly well built and supported by the guy who used to run Dana Design before Kelty bought him out.

TNF base camp duffel bags are awesome as has been stated. I use the base camp duffel for my non dive gear on the trip. I have a wheeled pelican case for gear and an armor wheeled mesh duffle for on and off boat and am very satisfied with this arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom