TLS350 Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
OK, everyone, what options are a must. What about boots? Turbo Soles or Rock Boots, and why? Also any suggestions on the best place to buy one (my LDS does not carry them). And no, before you ask, I can't make it to a DOG days this year :)

We went with Rockboots, kevlar knee pads and a thigh pocket.

The Rockboots are great because not only do they give you very secure footing getting in/out of the water, but they act like gaitors to keep air out of your feet.

Seals: our preference was for neoprene. But that is a VERY personal choice. :wink:

Bonne chance,

kent_1848:
OK, everyone, what options are a must. What about boots? Turbo Soles or Rock Boots, and why? Also any suggestions on the best place to buy one (my LDS does not carry them). And no, before you ask, I can't make it to a DOG days this year :)

I definatly recomend the Kevlar but pads. Midwest diving you are always siting on splintered wooden docks, and these will really reduce the repairs you need to make to your suit. I also went the the Kevlar Kneepads too, a big asset if you do any wreck diving.

Pockets are nice as well, I went with one large zippered, and one large bellows pocket.

I like the rock boots because of the stability when walking, but I know others like the turbo soles because it is easier to fit fins to them, and I do have to admit it is a pain in the butt to get my fins off over my rock boots on a rocking boat.

I am not 100% sold on my zip seals, they do have their advantages, particularly if you dive somewhere where dry gloves are appropriate frequently. If you are wanting to save $$ though this is the option I'd skip.

hope this helps,

Polly

Pockets are nice as well, I went with one large zippered, and one large bellows pocket.
We went with Rockboots, kevlar knee pads and a thigh pocket.
Sorry to ask stupid questions, but what do you all put in your pockets? Car Keys? Just wondering, it seems that everyone loves them, I just can't figure out why :06:

kent_1848:
Sorry to ask stupid questions, but what do you all put in your pockets? Car Keys? Just wondering, it seems that everyone loves them, I just can't figure out why
06.gif

First off, I dive with a Backplate and Wing style BC. By my choice, I do not have any pockets or pouches on the webbing harness. I do have "D" rings, and I carry my cutting devices (2) and all of my lights (3) on the harness, but the lights are clipped to the "D" rings and the cutting devices are in their own sheaths, slid over the webbing. I also carry reels, marker bouys, wrist slate, computers, again these items are worn on the outside, not stowed in a pocket

On a cave dive in the pockets on my outer thigh I carry...

One Wet Notes Pad
Dive Tables
A spare Mask

If I am diving in the ocean I add...

A folding Snorkel
A finger spool for an inflatable marker bouy
A mirror
A small Strobe light / Flashlight
A whistle

If I am bringing along my small underwater camera it will live in one of the pockets.

The use of the pockets for most people is because they do not have pockets on the BC or the pockets that are on the BC are not really suited to carrying the gear they want, but only carry as a backup. Often the pockets on a BC are less than ideal because if the BC is weight integrated the space left for your gear is either too small or the gear needs to be curved around you waist.. Additionally with a weight integrated BC that does have pockets by the time you put weight in and then fill your pockets, assuming you can get all of what you want in them, the pockets may stick out in front of you making you look pregnant. The integrated pockets on the outer thigh are quite streamlined and easy to reach, because the pockets are often large it is easier to retrieve only the item you seek without spilling the rest of the contents into the ocean, never to be seen again. Often the pockets have a loop of bungee cord or an internal D ring so you can individually clip each of the items in. This means that when you want a particular item you reach into the pocket, grab that item, then pull it out while uncliping only that item, keeping the rest of the items safely in the pocket.

I hope that this rather long winded answer helps.

Mark Vlahos

kent_1848:
Sorry to ask stupid questions, but what do you all put in your pockets? Car Keys? Just wondering, it seems that everyone loves them, I just can't figure out why :06:

As Instructors/Instructor Trainers we find the big bellows pocket perfect for the various sized slates we need when teaching. Plus reels, or cameras, or... ??? As Mark indicated, there are literally hundreds of different things you can put in them that are useful u/w.

I also like the fact that there are grommets on the bottom of the bellows pocket so that the water drains out quickly. :thumb:

Many thanks on the pocket thing. I wasn't thinking BP/W. As you can imagine when I started diving, this option was not even offered. I imagine if I went to my LDS and mentioned it, they would laugh, or not have any idea what I was talking about. I wish I would have done more research before I bought my BC, I probably would have went with BP/W. DIR really intrigues me.

Thoughts on TLS350 options -- here's what I have:

- Rock boots if you are doing shore diving -- as others have mentioned, great with stability and footing if frequently clambering over uneven ground with weight belt & tank(s) on

- Pockets -- I have a velcro bellows on the right and a velcro flat on the left -- very handy. I personally don't like zippered pockets since I dive with heavy gloves....YMMV. I am a BP&W user as well.

- P-valve -- also very handy...actually, hands free...;-)

- Tough duck overlay material -- more durable, although it is in a location that doesn't benefit you that much (i.e., not on knees/legs). Still, if ordering a signature series, may be worth considering, especially if wreck diving. One other thought on the signature series -- you can choose your overlay pattern...may be important to you if you are fashion conscious...;-) Check the DUI web-site for pictures of the overlay patterns -- there is a helpful page on the site where you can mix and match suit, overlay and trim colors. I bought a TLS 350, but I have the 450 overlay pattern with the tough duck material on the overlay. The tough duck is similar to Cordura -- more durable tham the tri-lam that the rest of the TLS350 is made of.

- Kevlar knee pads

- Dump valve -- I requested a Si-Tech. You can look on various message boards and see many opinions on this...I choose the Si-Tech since it seems to be recommended by many folks. My buddy bought his TLS 350 at the same time (off the shelf) and had some leaking problems with his valve (I believe it was an Apeks valve) -- he just had this replaced with a Si-Tech. My valve is in the "standard" location (upper left forearm).

- Zipper -- DUI reconfigured their zippers within the last few years -- some prefer the old style vs. the new style, for various reasons. I have the old style and it seems to work for me.

Note that some of these choices are only available if ordering a signature series (custom) suit.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

i went with the 450 with rockboots and just received it last week.
i ordered through Dans Dive Shop in canada www.dansdiveshop.ca and HIGHLY recommend them.

great operation, great pricing. they receive product from DUI to a US address so you dont get gouged on shipping.

I just ordered from Dan's about two weeks ago. Can't wait to get it.

I went with SiTech valves, zip seals, a cordura overlay in the CLX450 style, large bellows pockets with velcro on each side, the old style zipper, turbo soles, cordura butt pad, cordura overlays on the knees with CF200 knee pads, pee valve, and a CF200 crotch pad (for scootering). I also had them relocate the exhaust valve to the right shoulder instead of standard left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom