Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If not, your opinion on how our government spends money is worthless - worry about your own country’s budget.
Feel free to worry about Germany's government spending. Your opinion is going to have as much impact on it as mine.

Regardless, that is money that could be used for much better purposes than playing cleanup for a poorly thought-out private venture like this.
What Wookie and John said. It's not like the planes and ships and personnal would have been free if they hadn't been out at sea. I reckon CG ships are out at sea most time anyways.
They got training out of it... which is probably what they wanted. As I said, they must have known that this thing had imploded.

The cost associated with the rescue mission has been reported to be around $1,200,000, and will likely climb a little higher than that. The US military budget in 2022 is $766,000,000,000.

If you graphed these on the same scale, and gave 1 pixel to the rescue mission, it would take 247 iphone 11 Pro Maxes to graph the military budget. I think calling it peanuts is pretty fair
I was just watching a YouTube of Mike Rowe on an aircraft carrier. They were pulling a missile off an airplane. 3 people cradling it in there arms. Reported cost of that missile was a million dollars.

Now add in this value gained by using this as a training mission. So much stuff can be simulated or mock missions made. If nothing else they can compare there training missions to what an actual one went like and learn what flaws they have in the training that need to be corrected.

How may resources were put into recovering Kennedy after he sank his plane on the way to Martha's Vineyard?

Feel free to worry about Germany's government spending. Your opinion is going to have as much impact on it as mine.
Why would I care about or comment on Germany’s government spending? I am not a German citizen and, other than driving a German car, I have no interests (financial or otherwise) in Germany. What Germany does is none of my business.
What Wookie and John said. It's not like the planes and ships and personnal would have been free if they hadn't been out at sea. I reckon CG ships are out at sea most time anyways.
They got training out of it... which is probably what they wanted. As I said, they must have known that this thing had imploded.
Even if true (just conjecture on your part, of course), it doesn’t change my opinion on requiring these private ventures to have insurance to reimburse taxpayers for costs incurred due to their their ill-engineered “expedtions”.

Everyone gets to play with their new toys, everyone gets experience, learn what to do and what not to do.

It's like doctors, you want the best person when you have knee or hip surgery,, but the new doctors have to practice on the real thing to be any good, so as crude as it is, they work on an old person, and if it's not perfect well live with it, sometime they die a week, month later of other reasons and you think was that really worth it????
YES training, experience, and you never know, they may recover.

Then some kid comes in, the doctor has a clue what he is doing and will do a better job.

And it's the right thing to do.

With all the money at Stockton Rush's disposal, why not charter onto existing subs instead of a haphazard build? Or hire people in the field to assist his own endeavor?
Some people, and I've worked for a few of them, consider themselves Mazters of the Universe(R) and nobody else can conceptualize - or do - anything better than them. Becasue they're the smartest guys in the room.

I would guess, if I had to.

Even if true (just conjecture on your part, of course), it doesn’t change my opinion on requiring these private ventures to have insurance to reimburse taxpayers for costs incurred due to their their ill-engineered “expedtions”.
The cost of the search/rescue/recovery, for the most part, would have already been spent ... The USN and USCG didn't go out and buy new boats or sonars or planes or hire more sailors or coasties. Those assets and resources had already been paid for. No real variable cost. So, I don't get really worked up over that. We already agreed to share those costs. Guess what? We'd all share the cost of the coverage the proposed "coverage". And taxes wouldn't come down anyway.

Some folks just want to pay higher insurance rates on everything, I guess.

Because insurance settlements aren't free money. They cost EVERYBODY.

Where could you draw the line? A couple of tourists renting an outboard open boat? Commercial fisherman on a multimillion dollar fishing boat (which is not a very big boat)? Crew of a huge container ship? Recreational divers on the Andrea Doria? Billionaires taking a joy ride on the Titanic?

IMO, everyone deserves the same life saving effort and is a shared expense for the common good.

Regardless, that is money that could be used for much better purposes than playing cleanup for a poorly thought-out private venture like this. These operations should be required have insurance or to reimburse the assets expended by any country that they needed to drag in to help.
Who is going to write a policy for that folly? It would take an actuary about as much time as the “explorers” had when their toy imploded to turn down that risk.

Some people, and I've worked for a few of them, consider themselves Mazters of the Universe(R) and nobody else can conceptualize - or do - anything better than them. Becasue they're the smartest guys in the room.

I would guess, if I had to.
Well that, and also there aren't a lot of options - I believe the list of DSVs that can reach the Titanic is Alvin, Sea Cliff (if it's still operational; I haven't seen an update since 2005), Nautile, Mir 1 (out of service), Mir 2 (out of service), Konsul, Rus, Shinkai 6500, three or four Chinese submersibles, Deespea Challenger, and Limiting Factor. Of those, none carry more than two passengers (with Deepsea Challenger being a single-occupant craft and Limiting Factor only carrying one observer) and only those last two are privately owned and not controlled by a government agency, military, or oceanographic institute. I believe the Mir submersibles and Nautile were the only ones that were ever "hired out" for private endeavors on the Titanic wreck.

The other issue Rush was trying to get around is that a submersible built around a steel or titanium sphere is heavy, thus requiring a large mothership with an A-frame capable of lifting it. Titan came in at about half the weight of the Mir submersibles, which allowed OceanGate to launch it from a small submerging barge carried or towed by a considerably smaller mothership.

How many lost solo around the world trips get cut short with a broken mast from a rouge wave and they are picked up by the coat guard? Didn't make the news. If the hunt, and now recovery, of a sub was the only thing the coast guard did all year that would be pretty sad. But it is probably the only multi-day national news story that will be remembered for the whole year. That is more a deal with the press than it is any agency.

When world affairs are slow enough that the big news is the hunt for a lost tourist sub. Nice day in the world. The economy crashing, Russia invading, and what ever else is bad in the world can just take a back seat to a couple of tourists that are in trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom