Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An extremely rich and entitled private society where they do extreme rich people stuff.
Next will be private rich people trips to the moon to bounce around like bunnies or kangaroos. What will those tragedies be like, and will they be calling up NASA to come rescue them?
So, rich privateers/profiteers run these trips, then when something goes wrong the taxpayer has to spend millions to bail them out or at least try?
If they’re that rich then they need to have their own personal rescue squad available and ready.
No. They just need to die.

Just like they did.

Who cares. The money spend on that search was peanuts considering the budget for the US armed forces. Probably not even peanuts but a tiny part of half a peanut.

It is less about the cost, but the idea that the Explorers Club using their connections to get access to resources that normal joe six pack wouldn't get, and then they turning around bragging about it it for positive press.

It is less about the cost, but the idea that the Explorers Club using their connections to get access to resources that normal joe six pack wouldn't get, and then they turned bragging about it into a positive press.
As divers, we generally have DAN insurance in case of medical treatment and evacuation; tourists typically buy travel insurance policies; these guys have friends in the White House situation room.

Who cares. The money spend on that search was peanuts considering the budget for the US armed forces. Probably not even peanuts but a tiny part of half a peanut.
As an American citizen, I care. Are you an American citizen? If not, your opinion on how our government spends money is worthless - worry about your own country’s budget.

The cost associated with the rescue mission has been reported to be around $1,200,000, and will likely climb a little higher than that. The US military budget in 2022 is $766,000,000,000.

If you graphed these on the same scale, and gave 1 pixel to the rescue mission, it would take 247 iphone 11 Pro Maxes to graph the military budget. I think calling it peanuts is pretty fair

I don't see why the US military budget is relevant.

A better discussion is how much does the USCG spend on rescues every year and also training. Does conducting rescues replace (or supplement) training, etc.? I would hope that there are post mortems for every incident that are reviewed and helps the USCG carry out its mission. How this incident will impact future explorations remains to be seen. I hope those who will conduct deep dives with submersibles will heed the lessons learned from the Titan.

And I think @Manatee Diver nailed it.

The cost associated with the rescue mission has been reported to be around $1,200,000, and will likely climb a little higher than that. The US military budget in 2022 is $766,000,000,000.

If you graphed these on the same scale, and gave 1 pixel to the rescue mission, it would take 247 iphone 11 Pro Maxes to graph the military budget. I think calling it peanuts is pretty fair
Regardless, that is money that could be used for much better purposes than playing cleanup for a poorly thought-out private venture like this. These operations should be required have insurance or to reimburse the assets expended by any country that they needed to drag in to help.

It's hard to understand how you can truly calculate the cost of an operation that involves organizations like the coast guard. The people being paid for the work they did on that rescue would be paid for whatever they were doing during that time.

It's hard to understand how you can truly calculate the cost of an operation that involves organizations like the coast guard. The people being paid for the work they did on that rescue would be paid for whatever they were doing during that time.
Indeed, and the air assets are already paid for, the fuel is in some budget we can’t even fathom.

And the Coast Guard is DHS, not DOD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom