Tired and unhappy :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello people im cat. And im new.

I just had my first pool session and completely freaked :( so that explains the unhappiness (and those heavy tanks probably explain the tiredness). As soon as we went underwater i didnt feel good, everything was so constricting and i stated feeling really hot. I kept on going for a bit but then i was fully shaking and i just didnt want to go back underwater. I also had trouble clearing my mask- i wear contact lenses and wasn't told to close my eyes so they got all stuffed up, and then my mask kept on filling up even after i had emptied it (apparently it was too high on my face). In the end i had to give up. I honestly felt like i was going to pass out. I talked to my instructer (well more the guy who was training to be an instructor- who was a huge help) and they said i can come back and finish the pool session another time. My cousin is fully qualified (does rescue stuff) and is going to help me get comfortable with it all one on one in my pool.

I really want to get the qualification, because my boyfriend dives and he is always going on about how cool it is, and i was so excited before today, but now im not so sure. The main thing thats really kepping me going is i dont want to waste four hundred bucks (im a student- i was really scraping to get that money). Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare myself before the next (official) pool session???
I think maybe putting on all the stuff and swimming around for a while just breathing might help. I wasn't even comfortable with the whole breathing thing in the pool when we started doing the excercises, and i think moving around might keep my mind off it. Any other ideas??? I feel pretty dejected with the whole thing right now- all i can think is im glad i didn't buy the wetsuit yet.

Anyway that the end of my rambles. Any help would be much appreciated.

Don't give up. When I started scuba diving class, I couldn't swim that well and failure was just on the horizon. But I pulled through and continued. Just remember, you're doing this to see the underwater ocean, not for your bf, mom, dad, or who else. :) I believe you'll make it!

Cat,

You're on the right track and in the right place. People here can help you, but ultimately you will have to become comfortable yourself.

A couple of things may help.

With the mask, go into the pool without gear and with your mask off. Drop it in the shallow water, drop down, pick it up, put it on and clear it. Repeat as necessary. You've been swimming for years without a mask, right? So, now just practice putting it on and clearning it.

After that, do what your instincts suggest; put on your gear and just swim around with it on until you feel comfortable. Then begin adding exercises.

Stand by for additional suggestions and keep us posted on your progress.

Jeff

I'm sure you'll get some great help and advice on here. I just wanted to say not to give up too soon. What you are describing is not uncommon at all, and there are many other posts just like yours. Diving is totally different than anything you have done before, and it is unnatural for most people. I struggled alot when I was going through certification, so much so that I almost didn't pass. After 15-20 dives it was amazing how much more comfortable I was.
Try not to burden yourself with unreasonable expectations or by trying to "keep up with" anyone else. Just recognize that you are starting and that it is going to take some practice, but it will get much much better.

Good Luck,
Jason

cat, you might get a kick out of reading my journal of my open water class which is linked to in my signature line.

I did about everything wrong; I spent a full day in my own pool trying to learn how to clear my mask without choking myself. I couldn't master buoyancy control at all (and finished the class and got my c-card without ever solving that problem!) And I wasn't even sure I wanted to learn how to dive in the first place.

That was two years and over 300 dives ago. I become completely hooked on the sport, and found out that determination and practice, combined with a liberal dose of good mentoring and instruction, can overcome even the biggest lack of talent. And the wonders of the underwater world are well worth it. I just got back from my first taste of cave diving, and it was beyond breathtaking.

Relax, take advantage of your one-on-one instruction, and have at it again. And maybe spend some time reading THIS wonderful post on a training sequence to learn to manage a flooded mask.

Good luck!

Welcome to the boards, you've some to the right place.

I have to tell you...you're not alone. Many, many students have exactly the troubles you mention. It's really just a mental issue, most likely not a physical thing.

Understand, you CAN push through it, if you really want to. It’s a totally new world, it takes time for us to wrap our brain around the whole idea of actually breathing underwater.

I say try again, but nice and slow, at your own pace. Let the Inst/DM know of the previous issues and ask them to watch you. Sometimes it’s easier knowing you have someone right there to help if needed.

I will throw one caution out there; Most often, I see wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/S.O.’s, (take your pick), jump into this, urged on by their partner. They usually are the ones who have troubles. Not too sure why, other than it may be something they weren’t interested in, in the first place. To put it bluntly, diving isn’t for everyone. I know people who tried it and don’t care to ever try it again. Not a big deal, they aren’t any less of a person, they just prefer terra-firma.

I’m lucky in the respect that my wife and I made the decision together and we enjoy diving together still today.

Try it again, then make a choice. You still have to go through the checkout dives anyway, you have time to make up your mind. The money, however may not be refundable. Something to talk to the Inst about if it doesn't work out.

Good luck, and again, welcome. Let us know how it works out.

Darin

Hi Cat,

Keep trying!!! You can do it! Maybe you should swim around with a mask and snorkel on your own to get used to breathing underwater. And now that you know the mask clearing drill, you can practice that at your own pace. Good luck and remember to have fun. That's what this is all about.
:)
Chris

:D

catroundtheworld:
I really want to get the qualification, because my boyfriend dives and he is always going on about how cool it is, and i was so excited before today, but now im not so sure.

ok, first ... you need to do this for yourself, not your boyfriend.

and it may not be your thing. it's not a lot of people's things. my wife will fly with me in small planes and jump out of perfectly good planes, but won't dive

go figure

i'd suggest taking it easy and just trying out to see whether you get used to the whole experience (it is a LOT to get used to). if after a few sessions you still hate it (sounds like you do), then perhaps scuba is not for you

no shame in that, btw.... you will NEVER get me to bungee jump. you can't pay me enough

but if you really want to do it (if YOU really want to do it) then don't worry ... a lot of people go through initial stress, and they do get comfortable in the water and go on to a lot of fun scuba diving

after all, you are adapting to a whole new world ... you need to take it easy on yoruself and give yourself time =)

Hey Cat,

Lot's of people here with good advice and compassion. As many have said you are not alone... here is a thread that just popped up:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=183507title=

Not knowing your history, it is hard to say what is going on. If you suffer from any anxiety condition, it may preclude you from diving. As stated above, this sport is not for everyone, you have to choose to do it for the right reasons.

With that being said, I think your instructor/s have a responsibility to help you out as much as possible. There are tricks and techniques that can be used to ease you into it and get you comfortable.

BC's can be very uncomfortable if not fitted properly. Not only that, if you don't know what to expect they can feel confining. Then, I don't know if you were poorly weighted . Many instructors will overweight beginning students. Next, your mask should have been fitted properly, prior to going in the water. A lot is going on and it is the instructors responsibility to make sure the students are following along.

If all of the above felt uncomfortable, the wetsuit is going to compound that.

My suggestion is hang in there, ask a lot of questions and for assistance from the instructors.

There is so much potential for enjoyment from Scuba diving. I hope you get through it and discover the joy that most people here on ScubaBoard have found.

Thankyou for the help so far everyone. Its so good to read this board and realise that im not a failure (or at least the only one lol). And i will try again, but im going to work it out with my cousin rather than in a giant class. I do love the ocean Darin (im a bit of a beach bum), only im used to swimming in bathers, and i think all the constrictive stuff was more what freaked me out, not the water. I love swimming and whenever im at the beach i open my eyes under water and just swim around through the waves. For some reason i dont have a problem with my contacts in the seawater (must be the chlorine in the pool). With the mask its more having something over my nose i didnt like, but ive also had a cold the past week which probably didnt help (they said it was fine though coz my open water dives aren't until next weekend). I will practise that mask thing like you said jtoorishb and ill keep everyone up to date i promise. I must say though i hope this is the biggest hurdle though, seems like everyone has a lot of problems, and i wasn't even in the water for very long!!!

By the way any ideas on why i was so hot?? just nerves? everyone else said they were cold, but then i go swimming in cold water all the time, and i used to do ice-skating. Maybe im cold blooded lol

Back
Top Bottom