tips on setting up halcyon BP/wings pls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stokes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased a halcyon rig - SS plate, 27lbs pioneer (the one supposedly w/o need of the STA), & harness, from the official distributor of halcyon in the Philippines. The owner of the shop gave alot of tips and instructions, but i was to excited to pay much attention.

I tested it yesterday and was quite happy, despite the fact that it was probably set-up wrong and the fit was really bad. help.

how snug should it be around the shoulders? waist? crotch?
how should the plate be positioned in my back?
positioning of D-rings?
any other practical tips on getting the proper fit?

Any tips on webbing maintenance?
any practical tips on the halcyon rig maintenance?

1) Snugness=comfortable... not overly tight & not overly loose... the shoulder straps should become loose enough to get out of easily when the crotch strap is released from the waist strap.

2) You should be able to reach back and touch the top of the plate... but the location will be determined by your waist strap location on your body.

3) Shoulder D-rings should be a clavical level... fiddle with the rest... start by having the left waist D-ring further forward and move it back as you get used to snapping and unsnapping your SPG.

4) Maintenance = rinsing and storing out of sunlight and with good ventilation... expect to replace webbing when chaffed... perhaps yearly if you dive as much as some of us.

thanks Uncle Pug!

i was told that wrapping bicycle inner tubing around portions of the webbing that scrape against the BP can extend the life of the webbing.

know any instructional website were this process is shown? it seems like a logical thing to do.

Originally posted by stokes
i was told that wrapping bicycle inner tubing around portions of the webbing that scrape against the BP can extend the life of the webbing.
Somebody told me I could extend the life of my chop sticks by using tool dip.... but since they give me a new set each time I order dinner... Shoot, I just toss 'em...

Webbing is cheap and lasts long enough for you to save up the cash to replace it... sock away $.50 each month if you dive singles... $1.00 if you dive as much as we do using doubles...

point well taken UP.

cost of webbing is not really a problem, but i think availability in the Philippines is a problem, at least i assume that. then again, its possible that i just don't know where to get any here that's why i am trying to find ways to make the original one i got to last longer.

what made me more intent on trying to protect the webbing was that the local shop here mentioned it. i figured if they thought it was worth mentioning, i readily assumed that webbing is either hard to get here or expensive.

as a back grounder, when i ordered my halcyon rig from the local distributor here in manila, it took a little less that 2 months before i got it. they owner of the shop even said that he ordered pockets from halcyon more than 2 months ago and he hasn't gotten it.

again, thanks for all the info. nice to have more experienced people help out!

Originally posted by stokes
cost of webbing is not really a problem, but i think availability in the Philippines is a problem, at least i assume that.
Stokes my apologies... I hadn't looked at your location and your situation is obviously different. If it is an availability issue then by all means protect the webbing as that is the only thing that wears. Rubber bicycle inner tube cut into bands should suffice to forstall early replacement. Slip them onto the webbing so that they protect it at the top slots in the plate. The problem will be in using them at the bottom of the plate as there should be a ss weight belt retainer position on the back side of the plate between the slots to maintain adjustment. It is the top slots that do the most damage so you could just omit protection for the bottom slots.

Back
Top Bottom