Tips on doing PADI DM Mapping Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just remember that it is not an excercise to test you computer graphics skills.

Ask your instructor what they expect.

You'll find that different instructors interpret the exercise in different ways. Some are looking for exact detail depth measurements and dimensions.

Personally, I am looking for a usable map that helps people become oriented to a dive site from the surface.

Make sure that your own Nav skills are above average! Preferably way above, since average is pretty poor these days from what I've seen. And I'm with Andy, you should be able to hand that map to me and I should have no trouble finding anything on it. Headings, depths, landmarks, features, and a legible key that makes sense. I;d also like to see it done over a number of dives to insure accuracy.

I'm with Andy on this one. Ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?" And perhaps more importantly, "Why is it that my instructor wants from this exercise?" Remember, it IS an exercise required by PADI:
In this exercise candidates survey a dive site and draw a map from it. Besides the obvious function of giving candidates experience in creating maps for use by divers and as a briefing aid, the exercise has another important educational role. Candidates learn to combine several skills – dive planning, underwater navigation, search patterns, and data recording – to achieve the goal. In effect, mapping is a problem-solving exercise that relies on effective dive organization and management.

2. Emphasize the importance of dive planning as the primary ingredient in successful mapping.

What I ended up as the take away from the exercise, from the instructor's POV, was that the MAP itself is a mere byproduct of the exercise.

Ask your instructor what they expect.

Yup.

My instructor was pretty clear that what he was looking for was a map sufficiently detailed in order to be able to orient and brief a group of certified divers who were not familiar with the site in question, such that they would be able to successfully plan and execute a series of enjoyable, safe repetitive dives on the site.

Knowing that, the type of information necessary and the level of detail required became pretty clear. (Keep in mind what things would increase/decrease enjoyment and what things might increase/decrease safety along the way as a guide to developing your map.)

Good thing too, because the next step in my internship progression was to use my map to lead several divers on a "Discover Local Diving" program, using my map for site orientation, dive briefing, and dive planning.

As Peter points out, the map itself is not the exercise, but merely "proof" that you've sufficiently processed what goes into evaluating a dive site and considered what info is necessary - not just for YOU to know - but for you to be able to convey to others so that along with them you can plan a fun, safe dive that is within the training, experience, and comfort zone of all the divers in the group... sort of like what a DM should be able to do, no?

Ray

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom