tips for swimming underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmblack58:
I ask this honestly with no hidden agenda. Is a shallow water black out from a lack of O2 really an issue in a 25 meter underwater swim in a pool? I can see it being an issue if it was a longer swim but not for such a short run in a confined environment.

If you are out of shape, can not swim well, and takes forever to cross 25 yards, hyperventilation to the point of depleting your co2 can certainly affect you before you reach 25 yards.. It might never happen to you, but for another person (with only 1 arm and 1 leg :wink: it could be an issue...

SparticleBrane:
Not a problem. I work with 20-40 new students every semester so I see lots of underwater swims...you're not the first to be dense. :D Personally I prefer being dense, I wear less weight that way. :eyebrow:

I'll assume this is for your GUE courses?
Without the pushoff, you lose the momentum, but you gain a bit of realism. There are no sides in the ocean...
To do it without the pushoff, personally I'd drop down, do an arm pull to get a bit of momentum going, and do exactly what I said above.

As to exhalation drills--I'd do them first, even in the cenote. Helps get you nice and relaxed in the water...I'll be honest, I didn't believe in them when I took my basic scuba course. Then as I started volunteering, it was expected that all the volunteers would do the whenever we go in the water as a good example for new students. I did them out at the quarry in cool water while helping with new student checkouts, and only then did I realize how well they work. At first it's hard to breathe (especially if the water is chilly), but after a few forced breaths off your regs with your face in cool water, you feel completely relaxed and breathing is now totally natural...it probably means a lower SAC rate as well, although I haven't conclusively proved that.
This would also probably be a good thing to do before your Tech 1/2/3 courses since they apparently do lots of maskless ascents/mask-off drills...

This is for GUE courses, and I have so far managed them for DIR-F, Tech1 and cave1, although just barely for cave1, and I had to have 3 goes at DIR-F

However, I am trying to work on my swimming both above and below water in the pool, and not seeming to make too much progress.

Maskless no longer frightens me :) (as does exiting a cave with one light bewteen three, no lights between three, sharing gas etc. etc. -- losing the line or getting turned around and lost though continues to dominate my nightmares!)

I have also heard getting your head in the water for 3-5 mins can lower SAC rate too (Bradycardia ?)

Thanks for the tips.

hlsooner:
If you really want to improve your swimming efficiency, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of the book "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier" by Terry Laughlin. This book is filled with drills and techniques that will make you much more efficient in everything you do in the water.

I actually do have this book, but also have to admit that due to my laziness, I have not yet really put it into action. Don't you really need a swim coach to make the best of it though?

Just jumping in with my 2 cents, and it's 5 friggin pages, so gimme a break if something's been covered, but I think something hasn't.....

DO NOT PRACTICE THIS ALONE. Yes, I am yelling. yes, probably wouldn't have an issue with SWB in a 25 yard pool. But it does, and might, happen. Wouldn't we hate to read about you in Accidents and Incidents. You should never do any type of breath hold exercises by yourself.

I am also a masters swimmer and an OW swimmer, and agree wholeheartedly with (1) joining a masters program and (2) reading Total Immersion and (3) better yet, get a coach for an hour or two. Swimming is 95% technique, 4% strength and 1% not peeing in the pool.

Chris

SparticleBrane:
:lol:
Not peeing in the pool is definitely important.

If pointed in the right direction, peeing in the pool can give you an advantage - Jet propulsion of sort...

Concerning the risk of blackout, this is for anyone interested:
SHALLOW WATER BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by carbon dioxide retention. Unconsciousness strikes most commonly within 15 feet (five meters) of the surface. This is generally what happens to the person that swims long horizontal distances as the CO2 builds up in the body.

BREATH-HOLD BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by the gradual onset of hypoxia; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. Generally occurs to those that are practicing static breath holds.

ASCENT BLACKOUT -- a state of unconsciousness preceded by sudden onset of hypoxia during ascent; risk is compounded by hyperventilation or increased (shallow) underwater activity. This is what most refer to as Shallow Water Blackout. It is actually termed Ascent Blackout as the diver ascends and , upon expansion of the lungs, vital O2 is taken away from the brain and utilized by the lungs.

Blackout certainly doesn't discriminate as to the length of the pool so a 25 yard pool could be as much of a risk as any other for a person who does not exercise caution.

I learned long ago in swimming if it doesn't help you in your streamlining or propulsion then get rid of it. With that being said, I agree with the critical aspect of technique. I will also add that the way in which you draw your breath is important. Make sure the diaphragm is utilized to incorporate the parts of your lungs that don't get as much use. If you want a little "cheat", take a bowl of ice water with you to the pool and place your face in it for a little bit. This will help induce the mammalian dive reflex ( heart rate slows, respiration rate slows), it's kinda neat! Good luck!

Am i the only one having trouble accessing the videos?

Crab-Girl take heart, this mountain isn't as big as it looks. The best advice i read here is to get in the pool and swim. I'm not saying don't try the other tips or even instruction, just don't let them become prerequisites.

I just started swimming a few weeks ago because i need to get my 51 year old carcass in shape for dive season and swimming seems more like fun than exercise. The first time out i was stunned that not only couldn't do the 25 yards underwater but that i barely made it halfway. It was so easy back in 1977, but i digress. Yesterday was my 4th day in the pool and i was able to muscle out the whole 25.

Believe in yourself, you can do this and may even come to enjoy it. It's okay to talk back to voice in your head. No matter what it says, you say - just one more pull.

The videos work fine for me. You'll need realplayer. Right-click "save as"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom