tips for swimming underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa:
I agree - sound advice.
I disagree--this is bad advice. You shouldn't ever have to hyperventilate, no matter the number of breaths, for an underwater swim or skin diving skill. Period.

Originally Posted by stevead
... however, a minute of hyperventilation is excessive and potentially dangerous. ... keep the hyperventilation to 3-4 breaths, it will help. and keep your swim stroke slow and powerful as opposed to trying for speed.

You dissagree? Did I miss-read this post?

Dave

I disagree about the hyperventilation parts, but I agree that being slow and relaxed with good technique is the best way to go. There's no use (or need!) for hyperventilation on skin diving skills, even if it's "only a few breaths."
Good technique is the answer...not hyperventilation.

OK, we are basically on the same page. I don't think taking 3-4 deep breaths along with complete exaltations constitutes hyperventilation. It just aids in CO2 removal and puts you in the mind-set for the task at hand.

Dave

Just because you get away with something 99 times doesn't mean it'll work for the 100th. :wink: Doing 3-4 deep breaths before the skill constitutes hyperventilation, plain and simple. It also tells me that the person doing the skill is uncomfortable in the water, and they probably lack technique for the skill at hand.

Thanks everyone, especially SparticleBrane for the technique tips. I've heard controversial things about hyperventiation and would much much rather rely on better technique to reach my goal. I'm not even going to say how many arm pulls it currently takes me to make it 3/4 of the way (a lot!!). Unfortunately I only have Windows Media Player so I haven't viewed the videos yet but I'll have to see if I can download Real Player.

www.real.com
You want the free player.
Sorry about the videos being in Realplayer format. I unfortunately can't do much about that...

dmblack58:
Hyperventilate yourself for about a minute before you go under. If I remember back to my human anatomy courses, the desire to breathe doesn't come from the need for O2, instead it comes from the body's need to expel CO2. Hyperventilating for a minute before your dive will help blow up more CO2 than normal which will repress your need to breathe until you finish the 25 yard swim.

Good luck

PS - I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV

I think this can set you up for a black out and possible drowning. From what I understand, no more than 4 full breath is recommended, otherwise you get excessive co2 wash out...

You can practice this breath holding on land, and walk as you hold your breath. If you pass out, you might hit your head, but will not drown.

Agreed, to NOT over breath before doing this. Taking too many breaths can trick your body into thinking you're ok when your not and in the water it's called Shallow Water Blackout!

Second thing is to exhale, slowly, smally spurts of bubbles. Exhaling also helps fight that urge to surface and buys you some extra time before you need to surface.

Lastly is you can do it, you really can. Part of the skills around diving, especially for leadership certifications (DM, Instructor) are designed around actually showing you, you can do it. Snorkel-ditch and don is a perfect example of this. It really sounds very hard, and it is but it CAN be done.

It is hard but don't think about it. Look at the end of the pool and just do it. Chances are you're only about 5 more seconds from the end and actually doing it.

Good luck with it, and the suggestion to practice holding your breath is a good one and its something you can do anywhere.

...did either of you two read my post? Everything you addressed was already talked about. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom