tips for swimming underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ask this honestly with no hidden agenda. Is a shallow water black out from a lack of O2 really an issue in a 25 meter underwater swim in a pool? I can see it being an issue if it was a longer swim but not for such a short run in a confined environment.

SparticleBrane:
...did either of you two read my post? Everything you addressed was already talked about. :wink:

Best avatar. Ever.

I smell a poll coming along anytime now....:popcorn:

fisherdvm:
I think this can set you up for a black out and possible drowning. From what I understand, no more than 4 full breath is recommended, otherwise you get excessive co2 wash out...

You can practice this breath holding on land, and walk as you hold your breath. If you pass out, you might hit your head, but will not drown.

Nobody ever answered the question, what agency requires a 75 foot underwater swim for a certification? I know of several certifications that require a 50 foot underwater swim, but not 75 ft. However, 25 yards underwater on a breath should be pretty easy for just about anyone with a bit of practice.

hlsooner:
Nobody ever answered the question, what agency requires a 75 foot underwater swim for a certification? I know of several certifications that require a 50 foot underwater swim, but not 75 ft. However, 25 yards underwater on a breath should be pretty easy for just about anyone with a bit of practice.

Sorry, my bad, I didn’t mean “advanced” as in Advanced OW. Its for a scientific diving cert (AAUS). I’ve had more than a bit of practice now and it hasn’t been getting easier (only more frustrating), but now I realize things I’ve been doing wrong so hopefully that will help.

I swim in a 25 yard pool almost every night, and usually make a lap or two underwater. My only tips, try to relax beforehand and get the heart rate as low as possible. Take 3-4 deep breaths, and then go. Try to pull with your arms in long strokes and glide as far as possible. Kick, but don't do the majority of propulsion with your legs. I was once given this tip because the leg muscles are the largest in the body, and using them builds up CO2 faster.

hlsooner:

NAUI master diver and some DM programs require this.

hlsooner:
I swim in a 25 yard pool almost every night, and usually make a lap or two underwater. My only tips, try to relax beforehand and get the heart rate as low as possible. Take 3-4 deep breaths, and then go. Try to pull with your arms in long strokes and glide as far as possible. Kick, but don't do the majority of propulsion with your legs. I was once given this tip because the leg muscles are the largest in the body, and using them builds up CO2 faster.
*sigh*
Once again...does anyone read prior posts before posting? Just as above...everything you mentioned was already addressed. :eyebrow:

Shallow water blackout probably wouldn't be an issue for a 25 yard swim. HOWEVER, hyperventilating for something that doesn't need it just builds bad habits! You have to nip bad habits in the butt from the start, lest they become big problems later. Law of Primacy--if someone learns something and does something incorrectly first, it's quite difficult to break them of that habit later on down the road when it's an issue. Attention to detail is quite important--if you can't get the small stuff, you won't be able to get the big stuff later.

Who cares which agency or certification this is for? She asked a question, she had it answered. :)

victor:
Swim very close to the bottom.
Use your push from 1 side to glide down to the bottom then keep your nose about 6 inches off the bottom.

The down side to this trick is that the bottom will cause drag and slow you down. If you are having trouble going 25 yards then chances are that your stroke is not very efficient. The psychological speed trick may be over shadowed by the real drag.

Can you try it and post back? I'd be very interested to know which one wins.

SparticleBrane:
Apparently you also didn't listen in class, either. Hyperventilating is a great way to kill yourself from shallow water blackout when skin diving or doing underwater swims. crab_girl, under no circumstances should you ever hyperventilate before any skin diving skill. Skin diving and swimming are both about good technique, not "how to do the minimum to scrape by"...hyperventilation is dangerous, period.
"Relaxation breathing, yoga breathing" etc, are all forms of hyperventilation to lower your CO2 levels. You should be able to do an underwater swim easily without any of this mess. :shakehead I see people recommending 3-4 breaths beforehand...again, this is useless. If you can't do an underwater swim without hyperventilating first, you

A great way to start working on this skills is to slowly add the pieces together. Start with just the pushoff--see how far you can go. Remember, you should be able to get 1/4 to 1/3 of the way across on the pushoff. Glide as far as you can, letting yourself rise to the surface while still in your streamlined form. Do this several times and see how far you get. If you do it exactly as described above, I believe you'll be presently surprised compared to how far you might currently be going.
Now add in one arm pull. Do the pushoff + one arm pull--glide as far as you can. Let yourself come to the surface and see how far you went.
Start over--pushoff + 2 arm pulls (with one kick inbetween). Again, see how far you get. Soon you'll make it across the pool, easily, before you realize it.

Too many people jump into the pool and try to power their way across as fast as they can, thrashing around because they aren't relaxed and comfortable. This is an easy skill that can be accomplished perfectly fine without any form of hyperventilation, "practice breaths" or any of that nonsense. Underwater swimming and skin diving are about technique and being completely relaxed in the water.

Hopefully this helped. :)

Sorry to be so dense here, but I am trying to work on this also.

So hyperventilation is bad, OK. So I should "relaxation breathe" first, and then just take in one huge breath before starting the swim?

For my swimtests (all of which I have somehow passed so far), a pushoff is not allowed. Doing this in a cenote where you can just about touch ground helps ensure that :)

Back
Top Bottom