Tips for Glueing Inner Tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I thought this question would be an easy old-topic search, but haven't found anything, so:

I've been putting together some gear rigging to make my recreational BC work a little better for me. I saw keeper bands made of bicycle inner tube rubber on another diver's kit, and the ones I've made seem to work well to keep my spare light mounted on my right BC strap.

But I'm not sure whether I should be using something more heavy-duty than bicycle-store tube repair glue. I've stitched across the joins for a little more peace of mind.

Is anyone use some other glue or method that affords better security?

Thanks!
Bryan

Why don't you just use bungee insted of the inner tube. Generally inner tube is placed on in one piece, not glued back together.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the tip.

I'd read that bungee cord tends to stretch over time, rendering it less secure. Is that your experience?

Bryan

I have had no problem with it, and besides it easily replaceable.

You can also use surgical tubing, which is easier to cut if needed. You can get it in black or clear, from most hardware stores. Zap strap (cable ties) are an easy way to secure it, and custom design the size. And bungee does work just as well..

Bryan St.Germain:
I thought this question would be an easy old-topic search, but haven't found anything, so:

I've been putting together some gear rigging to make my recreational BC work a little better for me. I saw keeper bands made of bicycle inner tube rubber on another diver's kit, and the ones I've made seem to work well to keep my spare light mounted on my right BC strap.

But I'm not sure whether I should be using something more heavy-duty than bicycle-store tube repair glue. I've stitched across the joins for a little more peace of mind.

Is anyone use some other glue or method that affords better security?

Thanks!
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom