Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, US citizens need a visa to enter Egypt.
The good news is that you can get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days at every airport (*).
It's a very smooth process: have 25 USD and your passport(**) at hand, in cash (no credit cards accepted until now), notes on good condition and head to the bank counter with the VISA sign. Even if there is a queue, you will be done before your luggage is on the belt.
There is another option to apply for the visa online and get it sent by email. The only official site is https://visa2egypt.gov.eg (as you found out). All other sites will charge more than 25 USD. The official site is quite clumpsy and there are a lot of reports from people getting their application rejected for unclear reasons. I would not recommend trying as it is not worth the time and the effort.
(*) Note that is you arrive at SSH and do not intend to leave the Sinai, you can get a "Sinai Only" visa which is free.
(**) Valid 6 more months from date of arrival
I read that for liveaboards, the Sinai only visa is no good. Can you confirm?

I read that for liveaboards, the Sinai only visa is no good. Can you confirm?
Yes, unless you are going on a short "mini-safari" that only dives in Tiran and local sites, a paid visa will be necessary. Effectively, this applies to 99% of liveaboards cruising the Egyptian Red Sea.

Any recommendations for day trips in Hurghada? I've done a liveaboard already. Dolphin House was the highlight for me. Are day trips for Dolphin House more for snorkeling?

I believe the Giftun islands are a popular day or half-day trip destination from Hurghada. I've dived a couple of sites there and they were nice (Police Station springs to mind), BUT it was very busy with snorkellers. So I'm not sure if that would be your thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom