Tips and Techniques Forum

Is a Tips and Techniques Forum a Good Idea?

• Yes

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I haven’t read all 39,000 posts, but I am sure there is a lot good information (spread throughout a thousand threads) that falls into the Tips and Techniques category. Such a forum would allow members to post Tips as they occur to them instead of in response to a question. Once it is filled up with tips, the forum would be especially helpful to new divers, although even old salts can learn new tricks.

For example, I read some posts that mentioned alternatives to store-bought gauge protectors. Great tips, but what if I don’t remember the forum or thread (or I’m new and the thread is 2 months old)? Those tips could be posted as a response to a question, but also in the Tips forum.

Any comments?

Stone,

Despite the two 'no' responses above I think this is a great idea. I am sure if CaptDave were here and he liked the idea he'd call the two people who said no Communists or something, but I don't need to stoop to that!

I have quite a few tips on my site that I got from several well seasoned divers, one of which had 6700+ logged dives (he is a professional underwater welder that works on oil rigs and stuff like the) and I found them to be very helpful.

It seems that some divers don't think that sharing their wisdom with the new crowd is a good idea. But I think it helps to make the new divers better and safer divers so I am all for it!

Way to go!

Go ahead -- call me a communist. I voted no ;-)

I just worry about the board developing a new section for every topic..........

Perhaps tips already fit logically into the "basic scuba discussions" or "general equipment discussions" section.....?

Originally posted by large_diver
Go ahead -- call me a communist. I voted no ;-)

I just worry about the board developing a new section for every topic..........

Perhaps tips already fit logically into the "basic scuba discussions" or "general equipment discussions" section.....?

Large_Diver I cannot call you a communist. If CaptDave found out I had used his phrase he'd either sue me for all that I am not worth, or make me walk the plank and get a good dunking.

I suppose I see your point, but I think it is still a good idea!

L-D,

you're a communist! But it does not have quite the same effect as it would if CaptDave wrote it...maybe if I misspelled it...

Joewr...wondering why L-D wanted to be called a communist...maybe I should have read his post? Do you think this will reduce the rental value of this spot?

Joewr

It depends.....how much are you paying others to advertising in it at the moment ?! :wink:

Somewhow I think Joe wants his own thread so he could rent or sell it... Did you spend too much on that last trip Joe???

:tease:

I'm so broke, I can't even pay attention!

I posted a thread not too long ago-within the past two weeks-asking others about tricks of the trade. Spyder tec was the ONLY one that came forward with anything. Bob replied with a tip of his own for Spyder tec's reply. My point is, out of a gagillion members, only two people came forward wanting to help another diver make their next dive go smoother. I think it is a great idea, but apparently there are just under half-a-dozen people now that think the same thing. Maybe we are ahead of our time.:idea:

Back
Top Bottom