Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It always surprises me to see people getting off the boat without tipping. Happens too often, IMHO.

I stick with the $10 per tank model. And I always bring beef jerky and chocolate for the shop.
I suppose that those who do not tip are simply Europeans. We hate the American "tipping culture"...

I suppose that those who do not tip are simply Europeans. We hate the American "tipping culture"...
Mostly. There could be Aussies visiting Mexico, too, but not many. We should keep in mind that this thread is about Cozumel, and Cozumel is pretty thoroughly Americanized. When in North America I tip as we do here. I try to follow the local custom wherever I am. Unfortunately, the American custom gets spread far and wide with traveling Americans.

Also, I can understand a very new diver not being aware that tipping the boat crew in the US and Mexico is customary. I was once such a diver. I felt a little guilty when I was finally made aware of the custom and realized I had been on several trips and not left tips.

Assuming $100.00 for a 2 tank boat dive, that's a 40% tip. That seems high to me. I tip my Coz dive op staff 20% and some times 25% on special occasions, and they don't seem to be insulted by that.

We have never been on the same boat. I know that because I've never seen anyone tip $20/tank.
I have been on a boat were someone tipped 50 dollars a tank and he does it most times.

Simply or simple?

Just because you guys have a fair working wage for everyone, universal healthcare, free universities, actual time for vacation, family leave, and better cheese doesn't mean you should hate any part of our culture.

You should just pity us.

I used to feel bad for Italians because of your politicians. Now I envy you. Sigh.

Simply or simple?

Just because you guys have a fair working wage for everyone, universal healthcare, free universities, actual time for vacation, family leave, and better cheese doesn't mean you should hate any part of our culture.

You should just pity us.

I used to feel bad for Italians because of your politicians. Now I envy you. Sigh.
Of course hating the American tipping culture does not mean that we hate Americans.
I love USA. I spent some of the best moments of my life while being in US.
We love most parts of American culture.
I actually hate just the tipping and the fact that money is considered a measure of the value of everything (humans included).
I also discovered recently another nasty thing, the existence of HOAs in many residential areas.
About Italian politics, better not to say anything. We are going worse at every change...
Luckily they have much less power than in US. So despite a bad political class, they cannot make too much damage.
Sorry for going off topic.
Back to tipping.
An international destination such as Cozumel should find the way of accomodating properly both tipping and not-tipping tourists.
This means increasing the wages, so workers can live without relying on tips.
So I think that Americans, when abroad, should also evaluate the option of stopping tipping entirely, or reduce it substantially, and only when getting an out of ordinary service.
You are not in US. When you go to Rome, behave as Romans.
Exporting your nasty tipping culture to other countries do nothing good to locals. It is way better to get a good, guaranteed wage from your employer, which comes in also when your are ill or in paternity/maternity leave, or during your holidays.
If your earnings come mostly from tips, you do not earn when not working, for any reason.
This is terribly unfair, people do not choose to be ill, and getting a good amount of paid holidays is very healthy.
Exporting your tipping culture destroys the salary protection of workers.
Stopping tipping will have a short-term bad effect, but in the long term the working conditions will improve, aligning with our European standards, which provide good protection to all workers.

I actually hate just the tipping and the fact that money is considered a measure of the value of everything (humans included).
:wavesmiley:
So I think that Americans, when abroad, should also evaluate the option of stopping tipping entirely, or reduce it substantially
I wish I had known before I made those two trips.
Exporting your nasty tipping culture to other countries do nothing good to locals.
It was actually imported to the US from Europe in the 1800s, then stopped in Europe with reforms.
Stopping tipping will have a short-term bad effect,
Not going to happen. I wish. :lftarrow:

Money is great for valuing labor.

What would anyone suggest that would be a better/more efficient currency?

I know this is the Cozumel forum and, as often happens, we're off into the territory of tipping in general, but Angelo's diatribe made me recall a restaurant meal in Europe with my then-fiancee, a native of the country we were dining in, where I tried to leave an American-sized tip, and she was aghast at my insensitivity to local custom. It's that memory, seared in my mind, that keeps me chiming in on threads like this.

When you go to Rome, behave as Romans.

Money is great for valuing labor.

What would anyone suggest that would be a better/more efficient currency?
Time is more valuable than money. If I do a good work I expect to be given more free time, not more money.
Money is very important for covering monthly expenses. But having reached that goal, getting more money has little value for me. I prefer to get more free time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom