Question Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kokanee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering what the current rate is for a 2 tank dive. Haven't been there for 6 years and leaving tomorrow (yay!).

$10 per tank so a 2 tanker is $20.
But if you see a shark/eagle ray/whale shark/warm muffins/funny jokes then it's a good reason to double that .

I do10-20% of the total dive cost depending on service.
A 10% tip was fine in the 1950s to 1960s on any full-service experience like restaurant dining, but it's crept since. Nowadays drivers expect 20-25% just for delivering food already sacked to go. I'd just go pick it up myself. And drive-thru pick-up orders have tablets that include suggested tips, but those are easy to ignore. Waitress work is not supposed to be a good income like it is these days.
$10 per tank so a 2 tanker is $20.
Now you're talking 25% which seems like too much creep to me. Except that I require more work than most so I'll go with $15-20.
If you dive with the same Dive Op for your entire Coz dive trip, the DM and crew will know real quick who the cheap bastiches are who don't tip...
I do tip every trip, rather than waiting until the end of the trip as is encouraged in other locations.

I tip my regular/favorite DM/instructor a 500 peso note. He is very kind, friendly, and helpful with instruction on how to be a better diver. He seems to enjoy being there with us. My wife snorkels, so if the captain is attentive, he’ll get 200. I am happy to tip this much for a fun and pleasant trip.

If I feel like I’m just a routine diver on a routine trip, then tips are less than that, maybe half those amounts.

It always surprises me to see people getting off the boat without tipping. Happens too often, IMHO.

I stick with the $10 per tank model. And I always bring beef jerky and chocolate for the shop.

I will say that when I asked this question amongst those at the local shop the answer was a per day not a per tank total. There was also a U.S.A. number and a Mexico number whether that is right or wrong.

Tipping very much seems to be a personal choice in general and there are both ends of the spectrum, those who tip well, and those who don't tip well.

It's never easy to let go of habit, so maybe sometimes it is also a bit generational? "Why back in my day (insert % here) was right.

In my opinion, tipping anywhere started out with the best of intents and then once employers noticed it, they likely started a downward payment trend. Totally guessing and simply sharing opinion.

It's unfortunate that in many places it has come to be expected especially when some of those in those places suck. If you suck, you shouldn't be rewarded. Perhaps given some help to suck less or increase skills, but not allowed to simply continue performing poorly. This training onus shouldn't fall on the customers.

To put all of this into perspective, I say most of what I have from the viewpoint of the U.S.A. and the restaurant industry. I get that in some places it could be an insult, and suggest researching before travel.

It always surprises me to see people getting off the boat without tipping. Happens too often, IMHO.
Don't be so quick to judge. I tip at the end of my trip and after 3 solid weeks of diving it works out to a good tip. I have asked my shop if it would be better if I tipped everyday but they said no. The reason is they divide tips with the ground crew as well as the DM's/captain. My guess is that many of the guys loading tanks, boats, gear miss out on tips if tips are paid on the boat. Now if I was only diving for a few days or with an unfamiliar Dive Operator I'd tip $10-$15 per tank.

I'm going to take this opportunity to vent a bit on tipping. I believe the USA tipping thing has gotten way out of hand and it is contaminating places like Cozumel. Seems like some of the nicer Coz restaurants 'expect' a 20-25% tip for less than 5 minutes of service. I'll go to the cheap places and give them a good tip but I'll be on the cheap side for tipping the fancy places.

Back
Top Bottom