Tipping your instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefRaf- I am totally in support of everything you just said! 100% got it bang on! Its all fine and dandy to say that instructors are doing it cuz we love it so why tip them, and to say that all instructors knew how much money they were gonna make, but that doesnt mean its ever enough to keep going no matter how much we love it! heh well put! all of it! you're cool. :wink:

Tipping is a personal matter. I have received a $20 tip from two brothers from NYC who were 1 1/2 hours late for the first of two dive days. They also bought there equipment from a bargain bin at a dive retailer in NYC....I had to assemble it for them lake side. I also have received a T-shirt from a father and two sons they bought for me while on the dive vacation they got certified for.

I always tip boat crews myself. It is something that is always appreciated.

It is nice to recieve a tip, but it isn't required. If the instructor has helped and gone out of his/her way to make your dive special a tip is always appreciated. So is a very heart felt thanks. Many instructors teach more for the fun than for the money, so any tip is appreciated, whether money or somethig else.

I have received a $20 tip from two brothers from NYC who were 1 1/2 hours late for the first of two dive days.
I'm not sure what your hourly rate is, but it sounds like they still owe you ten and anything above that we can call a tip.:wink:

We did AOW... we tipped the boat crew every day and our instructor was in on that tipping. Additionally, when we finished up the class we gave her an additional tip privately.

We didn't tip the instructor for OW because it was the shop owner and he got plenty of our money via the purchase of our equipment.

For a dive course just a 20$, bottle of wine, some chocolate and etc. is a very nice way to say thank you and that you appreciated the work and patience.
DM's working dive trips are more often than not splitting tips with the captain, crew and any others who may be hauling your gear behind the scenes. If you leave them 3.50$ or 2$ per dive think about what you are actually leaving each person, maybe a dollar.
Yes some of us just make a 'lifestyle choice' but the majority (not talking about the USA or Europe) DO NOT have a choice of just saying 'Hey, this job is not paying so well, I think I'll go to medical school'. Please consider this on your next vacation, when they are clearly making an effort try to leave 5$ a tank. Just add it in when you make your calculations as part of your costs, it's really not a hard thing to do. Your DM will be happier and therefore ideally so should you.
Really, a few dollars means a lot.

Back
Top Bottom