Tipping on a boat checkout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great to hear all went well and that a high school (in CT?) is running a dive program. When we were in GC last June we ran into a HS group from the CHI area doing a trip, some completing their open water others returning for the dive.

Yes, CT Prep School. We do a number of learning/adventure trips during break. National Parks, boat building, space camp, etc., This was the first time we did Scuba, but are planning on making it a regular program.

That's great. I spoke with a couple of the teachers/parents on the CHI group, sounded like a great program. They had a group of about 20 students.

Just back from a great trip. When I got there, I asked the manager of the shop what the protocol was for tipping in a referral class. He said the tips were included in the price. He went on to say if we thought the instructors went above and beyond, an additional tip would be appreciated.

I felt the instructors went above and beyond, so I added an additional tip.

Note: Some mentioned that the students should pay the tip, not myself. To clarify, this was a school trip, and the students paid an all inclusive fee for the trip, food, lodging, transportation, etc.. They would not have known nor expected something like this. The organizer, who is not a diver, would not have thought about this tip. I took the tip out of the "emergency" money we had in the budget. I will be sure to add it in to next year's budget.
Emergency budget money is a good idea--we've done stuff like that on our many Band trips when I was teaching. The money for such expenses didn't come out of one person's pocket to tip for each member of a (large) group. I assume your emergency fund was not out of your own pocket. My concern was the leader paying everyone's tip out of the leader's own pocket. Which is why I suggested to check on what the protocol was beforehand--so you have a plan--maybe charge the tip to each student as part of their all expense paid trip. Then tip the instructor from that.

My apologies for going off topic, but in his reply to this thread Wookie said "If (like any dive) you have 3200 PSI fills, your instructor has all of the tanks on the boat, gear there and set up......"
I am just intrigued about students on a checkout dive having their gear setup for them. I would have thought the checkout dive would have been the place for students to demonstrate their ability to set their own gear up, or reinforce how to , if they have problems. Is this normal for checkout dives?

Cheers

My apologies for going off topic, but in his reply to this thread Wookie said "If (like any dive) you have 3200 PSI fills, your instructor has all of the tanks on the boat, gear there and set up......"
I am just intrigued about students on a checkout dive having their gear setup for them. I would have thought the checkout dive would have been the place for students to demonstrate their ability to set their own gear up, or reinforce how to , if they have problems. Is this normal for checkout dives?

Cheers
No, of course not. But there are extras the DM/Boat crew can do to earn a tip. If on a checkout dive, the crew wouldn't be expected to set up your gear, but they may be on tourist type dives. I personally don't let anyone touch my gear, and the DM earns a tip for leaving it alone after I ask. But I do like fresh cut fruit between dives and a good solid fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom