Tipping not a city in China?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hotel charges me a small fee for the maid, staff which includes groundskeepers, security, bellboys, pool, energy (water/electric) and wall safe in the room. What it works out to for all of that is about $2-3 per person per day. My maid is awesome. We have had the same lady work our floor for the past 5-6 years at least. We leave $1 per person per day on the end of the bed each day with a note that says maid. I do it daily in case the maid we want to tip is off the end of the week. Plus if she sees a pattern of getting money every day you will see an increase of going that extra mile WHILE you are there, not after you're gone. Its not really the amount of the tip that matters as much as the fact that your tip shows you respect and appreciate their hard work. We also offer her a cold beverage out of the service bar on the really hot days. They have long days and go out of their way to accommodate our schedules which change daily. We also like a few extra towels. We are always taken care of and I never feel worried about items missing from the room. I trust her. Bellboys we usually throw $10 at check in, $10 at check out, and stop at the lobby bar and put a credit of $20 for the bellboys and a $20 credit for the front desk staff so they can get soft drinks or snacks. Taxi drivers - it depends on their personality. If they're friendly a buck or two. But I have had an occasional grump driver where I didn't tip them. Our hotel has a hot brunch buffet included, but we also leave $1 per person as a tip. One last possibility is the baggage handlers at the airport. Usually a buck or two per bag. As for divemaster and captain, we take care of them too. We go back quite often and they do remember you. We usually invite them to lunch before / after a dive trip and then throw $5-10 to a DM if he is helpful, a little more to the captain if he hits some really cool spots, less if he goes to what is quick and easy just to get the dive over with. Hope this helps

Tipping of resort & restaurant staff at major tourist locations in coastal Mexico should be done in the same manner/level as in the US.

As for dive personnel, the following is the un-edited version of the piece which appeared in edited form in my "Ask RSD" column of the Oct '99 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"How much, when and whom do I tip on a day dive boat?

As with tipping in other situations, dive boat gratuities are a personal matter, although local customs should be respected. For example, tipping is not yet customary in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other countries.

In many locations, including the US, Mexico and greater Caribbean, however, it does seem generally agreed that tipping for good service on a dive boat is appropriate. Keep in mind that some crews derive much, and occasionally nearly all, of their income from gratuities, regardless of whose “fault” this is. Repeat customers of a dive op can well vouch for the value of recognition of crew effort.

For those interested in tipping, guidelines for day dive boats include: (1) Gratuities are just that, something given voluntarily and beyond obligation for a service rendered. They are not mandatory; (2) An appropriate amount is somewhere between 10-15 percent of the cost of the diving expenses, not including gear rental, park or chamber fees, and other incidentals. This amount should be adjusted so as to fit the level of service, with a range of 0 to 15 percent being acceptable, although some generous divers do leave more; (3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified; and (4) If your crew changes every day, tips will probably be most fairly shared if given daily. If your crew is stable and you desire to consider tips at the end of the trip, let the DM know. Of course, human nature being what it is, the immediate rewards of a tip at the end of each diving day may result in the best service.

Finally, if in doubt about tipping, ask around. Local divers can tell you about their customs, and the consensus of your fellow divers will give you a good idea of what is appropriate."

Given decent service, an appropriate tip for most dive crews would be ~US$5-6 per tank.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

on this same thread- what do you normally do about the actual giving. I get uncomforatblehanding moeny to people, so I usually put the money in the jar. But if the purpose is to get good service, then how does the crew know who has tipped?
should I get over my embarassment and tip directly?

munkispank once bubbled...
on this same thread- what do you normally do about the actual giving. I get uncomforatblehanding moeny to people, so I usually put the money in the jar. But if the purpose is to get good service, then how does the crew know who has tipped?

I usually hand the DM the tip as we leave the boat at the hotel dock.

As it both encourages good services and rewards hard working people. Anytime I'm in doubt, about whether to, or how much, I remind msyelf how lucky I am in life, born an American, good health, good job, etc. And I never miss the money.

munkispank once bubbled...

And I really like T.H.W. and Doc V's suggestions on how to tip. But I can agree on Munkispank's concerns, as a tip jar is more tasteful. If there's not one on the boat, I hand money to the DM, no problem, but I like the jars. Yet I carry small post-its and large paperclips in a dry pocket of my boarding bag:
(1) Some hotels will not let maids pick up money out of a room unless it's noted, so I can write "maid" on the post-it for that tip; and
(2) This will also work in a dive boat's tip jar, maybe with "Thanks for the great diving (your name)" in the paperclipped money fold. I actually have sales promo ballpoint pens with my name on them, so I'll stick the money fold in those, but most people don't. Jumbo paperclips and small post-its.

Now, a question for Doc V and T.H.W.

I'm returning to Cozumel with a group that has us booked in the Reef Club, and I've been advised that our fees "include all hotels tips." Is the hotel really covering this, or is this a gimmick, with the poor wrokers not getting any more? Again, when in doubt - tip more than expected, sure, but any suggestions?

Thanks, DON

As regards who to tip, to quote from my article above:

"(3) In most situations, you need tip only one crew member, often the DM who primarily attended you. The tip will be shared among the crew according to their internal agreements. If a particular crew member rendered a special service which was above and beyond the call of duty, e.g., brought a piece of his personal gear from home for your use, cleaned up after you following an episode of sea sickness, etc., then an individual gratuity could be justified."

Of course, you can give all of your tips individually if you like, and I think this makes sense in some situations.

In any event, most Coz dive boats do not have tip jars/slots/envelopes, so direct tipping may be your only choice.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Yes, the staff do get the promised/charged gratuities.

A number of folks do tip a bit extra, but IMHO it's best to keep that to a minimum and then for especially good service, kindness or attitude.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I still would fear that hard working servants may not get all that much, so I'll be that I'll be inclined to add a little now and then. I always take $50 or more in $1 bills and that much in $2 bills (my bank stocks them for me) on trips.

Dive operator employees aren't covered under the hotel deal, so I'll be sure to carry some bucks in my boarding bag. I can see why Coz operators wouldn't allow tip jars, but it never bothered me to just hand the DM money.

:eek:utahere: DON

DM $5 per day and $25-30 more at the end of 5-6 days if I have had the same DM for the week, or $10 a day for good DMs if I realize I will not be with them the next day.

I don’t tip skippers if they own the boat; I pay them to dive off it and return. Some places the DMs are living off their tips so I tip reasonably well. If a DM has been poor I don’t tip, I also talk to the owner and make sure I’m not with that DM again. I’m paying to dive so I expect some level of service.

Back
Top Bottom