Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlazierB:
Sorry but I've never travelled outside Canada/States so telling me people's kids won't eat in India or wherever, doesn't phase me. I understand their situations and "if" I was in "that" part of the world I would most defentialy tip.
Dive instruction in the third world still often has the same price as in the developed world and often higher since there are fewer customers. (US dollars) $200 for an OW or Nitrox course, $500 for a DIR-F or Adv. Nitrox with Deco, etc. in a country where the average person makes about $10 per day.

Zippsy:
I would have bet (and lost the bet I see) that you were living in Singapore or peninsular Malaysia. Instructors and DM's don't get tipped at all around here, at least that I ever heard of.

God...To think how far I am from Singapore:)

As a professional Divemaster I can tell you face-blank, Canadians are horrible tippers. Period. But, most of them are so happy go get out of that cold Winter for a while and go warm-water diving, that they make up for it with friendliness and ease.

Most DMs do it for the free diving, and tips enter into it as gravy (this is for daytrip DMs, not liveaboard DMs, and certainly not Instructor slaves). Also, I learned long-ago, that if I were to make a living at DMing, I would have to own the dive-guide business myself; the right way to do it.

daniel f aleman:
As a professional Divemaster I can tell you face-blank, Canadians are horrible tippers. Period. But, most of them are so happy go get out of that cold Winter for a while and go warm-water diving, that they make up for it with friendliness and ease.
Do you have a C-card to prove that. LOL Your angry is clear to all in your post. So I would say that your attitude and prejudice has more to do with your tip than anything else.

You guys have got to be shanking me here....tip an instructor????? I'd faint if a student handed me a tip! LOFL I must be teaching in the wrong state?????

Well Daniel, they can't be worse than most of the Europeans, who don't tip at all or some of the Americans we see that will tip 20 pesos for a 2 tank dive. (about $2)

JeffG:
Do you have a C-card to prove that. LOL Your angry is clear to all in your post. So I would say that your attitude and prejudice has more to do with your tip than anything else.

There are six grammatical errors in your post.

daniel f aleman:
There are six grammatical errors in your post.
Thats the best you can do?

Diver Dennis:
Well Daniel, they can't be worse than most of the Europeans, who don't tip at all or some of the Americans we see that will tip 20 pesos for a 2 tank dive. (about $2)

Oh, I know. That's why I bought my boat and tanks, I don't work for tips anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom