Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairbanksdiver:
Did some copying and pasting, and compiled a list of various cultural tipping traditions throughout the world.

Have a look see, pretty interesting:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=128931

-Brandon

Australia

In Australia, tipping is traditionally not common and, beyond the hospitality industry, almost all service providers will never expect a tip. Employers pay a sufficient wage and do not expect employees to supplement their income with tips. However tipping is becoming increasingly common at some establishments (particularly restaurants, cafes, upmarket hotels, and nightclubs) in cities such as Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne, for good to exceptional service. In recent decades, tip jars have increasingly become common in hospitality establishments, even in suburban areas of these cities. However, even in these establishments, tipping is often still seen as being an optional personal choice.
ok, tipping is becoming popular here because the hotel industry folk have figured out that the US people have the idea of tipping so inbedded that they hand over a few bucks out of habit and the aussies arent silly enough to knock it back.

i do not encourage it - i do not tip, even when in the US UNLESS i receive service that is worthy of a tip.

when diving in the tropics, i leave good quality but upgraded gear & clothing as a thanks.

when diving within australia, at the end of a trip i might leave a slab or 2 of the dive shops choice of beer or bottle of fav to the DM as a thankyou, again - it all depends on the service i received.

Tipping the instructor? ... I had the same outstanding instuctor all the way from OW to Rescue, his enthusiasum was so great that he never seemed like he thought it was work, and I never thought of it. I did say enough good things about my experiences with him in the PADI questionare that they notified him. he said that was the first time they ever did that, so I feel pretty good about that, but now thinking about it, I wish I had done more. (I do know that I'm not the only one who feels this way about this instructor)

.... "poor career choice" GlazierB ? ... wow, makes me wonder who all you think is beneath your high level, or for rewarding for good/exceptional service
And here, food servers pay taxes on that expected tip, wether they actually get one from you, or not

Side note - If you don't tip the maid service (not sure the pc name for maids) in hotels, you will probably start to notice things "missing" from your room. Never has happened to me (probably because I tip), but it has happened to a few people on the trip with me.

"Tipping in the US is theoretically optional, but has become so ingrained in US culture that it is in practice mandatory."

This must be the reason why I always feel bad when I dont leave a tip. So I always leave a tip. When I was in Thailand and was eating out with other people (Europeans) they would give me the dirtiest look or look at me like I was the richest guy!.

Basically there are tipping jars EVERYWHERE now in NY. For crying out loud..even Subways has tipping jars, my deli has tipping jars. Any cashier has a tipping jar.
It's getting RIDICULOUS.. and now the DMs want tip too? what's next? my preacher??

BikerManiac:
It's getting RIDICULOUS.. and now the DMs want tip too? what's next? my preacher??

Isn't that what tithing is? That pays the preacher his salary, among other things. So he is already in on this conspiracy too.

D_B:
.... "poor career choice" GlazierB ? ... wow, makes me wonder who all you think is beneath your high level, or for rewarding for good/exceptional service
And here, food servers pay taxes on that expected tip, wether they actually get one from you, or not

I don't believe anyone is below me in the grand scheme of life. But yeah if you RELY on tips to subsidize your income you are basically looking for hand outs. Your "Waiter/Server" job is to do what the title entales wait or serve on people. It is there job and we as a whole are to reward them for doing there job? No. The cashier at your local Walmart makes roughly the same as a server but has anyone gone up to a stocker and drop them a $5 because "I was happy to see you stocked a supply of Crabs-B-Gone" No.

I work hard in my trade and I dealy directly with my customers and do I get tipped? No. Yet I work on a fifth floor window off a ladder, carry up a 75lb window and install it. I am in situations that demand my full attention otherwise loss of property and life could happen. I do my job well, when I leave my customers are happy. If a customer does try to tip me I always turn it down and if the guy/gal persists then I let my apprentice/labour take home that tip.

Here too we have to pay taxes on Tips. My roomate who gets roughly $1000 a month in tips ONLY claims about $125 a month.

I WILL tip if I discover the restaurant does have a tip pool where all the tips get split between everyone, including the dishpig and buser... If my meal was tasty yum yum great I hope the cheif gets the larger portion of the tip.

Just my 2 cents, B

... Wait gimmie back my two cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom