Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairbanksdiver:
Might be 22, but I can defend myself =)
No. You are only kidding yourself.

well...all I know is the Europeans definitely wear speedos in Hawaii.

My general rule of thumb:

ANYONE who performs a service for you, but is getting little (minimum wage) or no wage or salary, should get a tip of at least 15%. That includes all dive instructors, DM's, boat drivers, guys who fill the tanks, clerks at the dive shop, etc.

Same thing applies at any other non-dive places. When I'm at McDonalds getting a Big Mac, I'll usually tip the girl at the counter and the kids cooking my burger in the back. And of course the drive-thru guy that takes my order. Also any service personnel at the mall (shoe store clerk, etc. etc.). Starbucks kid at the counter and the coffee maker guy? Tip 'em. And if you drive thru, tip the drive thru guy.

If I'm not sure how much the service personnel get paid, and therefore whether I should tip, I ask 'em. If it's more than minimum wage, I'll ask 'em how they're doing financially (eg. single mom who can't afford the rent, etc.). If they're having problems, I'll still tip.

It really bugs me how many people only tip waitresses, DM's and the people they deal with face-to-face. What about all the others that serve them behind the scenes?? They also have families to support, school to pay for, and rent each month, don't they?

well, because I cannot afford to tip Everyone and still pay my child's tuition.

Well, some people tip, others do not. I guess it is the matter of culture, a state of mind, a principles...but, most of all it is the matter of good (or bad) manners and appreciation of other people's work and efforts.

"A bad career choice"? Well not all people can be lawyers and surgeons. Who would teach diving then? Some jobs are paid more, other less. It doesn't mean that the ones who have lower wages should not expect some sort of gratification if their services have been outstanding. A lot of people rely on the tips to make ends meet. Employers give lower wages because they know that their employees will get tips from customers. In many areas, tips make a difference between whether a person will have money to cover all his expenses or not. Usually, diving instructors do not have big expenses. In most cases it means food and something to eat...maybe a beer or two after a hard day's work. Maybe little something to put on the side for rainy days.

And do not think that the work that diving instructors is less hard than the work you are doing. I am sure that it can be even harder, and not just in a physical way. There is much more "behind the scenes".

And think about responsibility!!!

Having a boat full of people of different ages and abilities, people whom you have never seen before in your life and people who all depend on you not just to show them a good time and provide the service they have paid for, but also people you have to care about in many different way and bring back to the resort alive and happy, puts a big strain on shoulders od Divemasters and Instructors. This is a stress that can easily be compared to the one pilots are experiencing, a stress that diminishes a bit over time and with experience, but never vanishes completely. This is a stress that is hidden behind that emphatic smile each time you ask us to check out your leaking regulator (which you serviced last time 10 years ago, after your last diving trip and before you put on extra forty pounds). This is a stress that deserves a tip!

There was a plaque on the stern section of our boat SUNCHASER when I was working for Sunchaser Scuba in the BVI ,with: "The wind and seas may tip the boat, but ONLY YOU can tip the crew" written on it. Next time you go there, check if it is still there and make sure you tip your guides.

They deserve it!

JeffG:
Yes..."Its not me...its them". Makes the problem much easier to deal with on a personal level. Thats the insidious thing about the line between prejudice and discrimination.
Well, yeah, at least part of that makes sense.

Having an understanding of different tipping cultures does make it easier to accept why one table tipped you $2, and the other $20, when the service was the same between the two of them.

JeffG:
They are not true. But that doesn't change the fact that you think they are true.
Big deal if I think they're true, or if I think they're based on truth.

The problem arises when if I let prejudice or stereotypes influence action, only then can you have discrimination.

I made it abundantly clear that while I may have prejudices, I do not discriminate.

Re-evaluate yourself... I'm sure you have prejudices of your own (everyone does). Do you discriminate based on them? I hope not.

JeffG:
No. You are only kidding yourself.
If you say so.

-Brandon.

catherine96821:
Hey Brandon, I am not sure but I think Dennis just called us Americans bad divers!

No, it was a group of divers from an Asian country that were being stereotyped as bad divers. I did not participate in the thread but there was a problem with singling out and naming the country.

fairbanksdiver:
I made it abundantly clear that while I may have prejudices, I do not discriminate.
Then why do the foreigners tip you less?

JeffG:
Then why do the foreigners tip you less?

You're serious?

Some cultures tip less than others!

Didn't I say that half a dozen times?

-Brandon.

fairbanksdiver:
You're serious?

Some cultures tip less than others!

Didn't I say that half a dozen times?

-Brandon.
You can lead a horse to water.....

Back
Top Bottom