Tipping in Key Largo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No more outstanding than the waitress who:
1. Brings you water
2. Takes your drink order
3. Brings your drink order and takes your food order
4. Brings your food order in a reasonable time
5. Checks back shortly, refills your water glass, asks how your meal is
6. Comes back and clears your plate, refills your water, asks if you'd like dessert
7. Brings your check
That's still about 5 times as much assistance as I get from a Key Largo DM. But I get your point. My problem is that I don't agree with the whole tipping idiocy to begin with.

In all areas of endeavour that include tipping, there are absurd differences in what is done to deserve the tips. So what is the expected job of a DM? In Key Largo, my dive would be almost no different if the DM did not show up. I usually carry my own fins on board, so they don't even have to reach down and take them from me. The only time I am aware of their presence is when they give the dive briefing. In the Pompano Beach area, with the dive operator I use, they will also put a DM in the water in case anyone wants to be with one. (I don't, so it makes no difference to me.) In many places where I have dived, the DM carries your gear onto the boat, sets it up for you (unless you don't want it), leads the dive, pointing out critters and sights you would otherwise have missed, switches your tanks over between dives, and takes your gear off the boats afterward. In some places they even clean it for you. The cost of the dive is about the same for each--should the tip be the same as well?

I see the same thing in your waitperson analogy. In some restaurants the waitperson does a heck of a lot between courses, recommends the best wine for your meal, refills your wine glass when it empties, picks up that dropped fork, etc. In contrast, when I get a cup of coffee in a coffee bar and stand in line at the cash register and see the tip jar, I just shake my head in wonder.

Owners should pay their employees what their work is worth and not rely on customers to supplement their low pay.

That's still about 5 times as much assistance as I get from a Key Largo DM. But I get your point. My problem is that I don't agree with the whole tipping idiocy to begin with.

In all areas of endeavour that include tipping, there are absurd differences in what is done to deserve the tips. So what is the expected job of a DM? In Key Largo, my dive would be almost no different if the DM did not show up. I usually carry my own fins on board, so they don't even have to reach down and take them from me. The only time I am aware of their presence is when they give the dive briefing. In the Pompano Beach area, with the dive operator I use, they will also put a DM in the water in case anyone wants to be with one. (I don't, so it makes no difference to me.) In many places where I have dived, the DM carries your gear onto the boat, sets it up for you (unless you don't want it), leads the dive, pointing out critters and sights you would otherwise have missed, switches your tanks over between dives, and takes your gear off the boats afterward. In some places they even clean it for you. The cost of the dive is about the same for each--should the tip be the same as well?

I see the same thing in your waitperson analogy. In some restaurants the waitperson does a heck of a lot between courses, recommends the best wine for your meal, refills your wine glass when it empties, picks up that dropped fork, etc. In contrast, when I get a cup of coffee in a coffee bar and stand in line at the cash register and see the tip jar, I just shake my head in wonder.

Owners should pay their employees what their work is worth and not rely on customers to supplement their low pay.
We got a long hill to push a boulder up. No pun intended.

We got a long hill to push a boulder up. No pun intended.
Maybe. Some restaurants are now advertising a no tipping policy.

Hi @boulderjohn

You should go live in Switzerland, like I did for 2 years. Everybody makes a livable wage, people are, in general, very happy. Of course, dinner for 2 of salad, pizza, and a bottle of wine costs about $100. You don't leave a tip unless the service was extraordinary and you want to, not expected. You get what you pay for, in many ways.

I would also be in favor of a system a bit more like Switzerland. I would be willing to pay more for activities that now are associated with a tip. Of course, the two systems evolved separately and are not interchangeable.

Best, Craig

Back
Top Bottom