Tipping in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a good rule of thumb? For instance, here in the States 15 to 20% of the cost of a meal is considered appropriate when tipping the waiter.

Belize is such a poor country, and I like to reward people in the service industry who do a good job. From my limited perspective, the cost of living there is high and wages are low.

And remember at least $5 per person per dive for the DM and boat crew, more if it's really good service.

The people in Belize may not make the most money but mostly they seem content and happy, and why not they live in paradise. I'm not really sure who is better off, us or them.

Thanks to everyone.

Turneffe Island Lodge has a sheet with a suggested range of tips for the entire island staff from the dive masters and boat captains to the landscape crew. You can pay in cash or put it on your credit card tab (or be a jerk and pay nothing at all, I suppose). Makes it easy.

I was wondering more along the lines of the three tours I'll be taking when we get to Belize, all arranged through TIL.

For example, I did the Zoo tour two years ago. TIL made the arrangements, and I paid by putting it on my tab on the island. Cost was something like $100.

A guide picked me up at the dock at 9 am. At my request we swung by his house to pick up his little boy, then drove the 30 miles or so to the Zoo. We toured the Zoo together, talking about the animals. I bought lunch for the three of us at a roadside stand in Hattieville. We were back at the dock around 2 o'clock.

I had no idea what to tip the guy. Obviously, he was paid to be my guide, but I assume TIL got a cut for making the arrangements and I don't think they dealt with my guide directly so there was probably a middleman as well. In other words, two other entities took a bite out of that $100 apple.

Under the circumstances, tipping him 10% of the cost of the tour, i.e., $10, seemed too low. My impression from my short time in Belize City was $10 wouldn't go very far. I think I tipped him $40 or $50 plus gave the kid a small tip, too (he was thrilled).

To paraphrase Goldilocks, was that too much, too little or just right?

On the day of our departure, my wife and I along with another couple did a tour of Altun Ha. Again, TIL made the arrangements, and I assume went through the same middleman. A different guide picked us up. After doing a quick tour of Belize City at my request, including a stop off at St John's Cathedral, we spent several hours at the ruins before heading in to the airport. Again, the guide showed us around, explaining the history and so forth. I can't remember the cost but let's say it was $150.

When we were dropped off at the airport, I tipped the guy around $50 or $60. The other couple didn't tip him at all, which I found surprising.

Again, too much? Too little? Just right?

And while I'm asking, what's cab fare from the airport to the Ft George area? Two passengers, dive luggage and carry-ons.

Growing in the industry as a DM/Snorkel guide I was happy getting anything. There is no rule as to how much or even if you have to tip. I was thought in my tour guide class that tipping is a happy coincidence, unfortunately, many guides go to work expecting tips and if you do not look like someone who may tip you might not receive the best service from some guides. I remember once I had a group for a week and everyone tipped me then a while later one of the divers called me a side and apologized to me for not tipping me enough and gave me extra because he had seen others give me more than he had given. I felt bad and explained to him that there is no wrong way of tipping and everyone has a different budget. In Belize some operators pay more than others and at resorts service charge is not shared with guides since they get paid more than regular staff. Tipping is a good incentive for guides and mainly an American treat though recently I have seen some Europeans, Asians, and Australians tipping. Not every paying customer is comfortable with having to tip and several operators including ourselves do not allow a "tip jar" or even guides soliciting tips during briefings which sounds rude. Any tip obtained should be shared evenly among the boat crew and guides. Remember professional service is included in the package/tour a customer is already paying for. A freelance guide like you are inquiring about would be thrilled to get $50 as tip for a zoo tour. I figure for a day tour $20.00 from a couple is fair but don't feel bad if you can only give $10. Waitstaff at local restaurants hardly see tips so 15-20% of your bill is very generous. Taxi drivers don't expect tip since most of them own their cabs and their expenses are covered in the price they charge you.

Last time I checked a cab from the Int'l airport to downtown Belize City was $35 for 2 persons. With the escalating rise of fuel over the last year it may be closer to $50 now or they might have a "per person" charge. We, and several operators, include airport transfers in packages.

We are also on Facebook and on the cover of this month's Dive Training Magazine.

Last time I checked a cab from the Int'l airport to downtown Belize City was $35 for 2 persons. With the escalating rise of fuel over the last year it may be closer to $50 now or they might have a "per person" charge.
:dropmouth: Wow, that's a lot more than I was thinking!
What's the current price of gasoline in Belize? Here in Portland, it's about $3 a gallon, which is higher than most of the US.

We, and several operators, include airport transfers in packages.

We miss the transfer because we're arriving a few days early. I'm tempted to call the Lodge and whine about it, although that's not really my style.

Hey all, skip the taxi and fly to Placencia from the International Airport. We will cover your flight to Placencia and pick you up at the Placencia airport if you book your diving with us and you can come early if you want to. You can check us out at Splashbelize.com. No tip expected in return for this tip!

Gasoline is around $5 a gallon.

:dropmouth: Wow, that's a lot more than I was thinking!
What's the current price of gasoline in Belize? Here in Portland, it's about $3 a gallon, which is higher than most of the US..

Belize fuel cost is now over $10.00 a gallon over $5 US per Gallon so its right up there.

Gaz

Hey all, skip the taxi and fly to Placencia from the International Airport. We will cover your flight to Placencia and pick you up at the Placencia airport if you book your diving with us and you can come early if you want to. You can check us out at Splashbelize.com. No tip expected in return for this tip!

Gasoline is around $5 a gallon.

Where do we sign up!?! My wife and I are looking to do a couple days of 2-tank diving July 5-8. We're likely staying in Placencia the 4th-6th and Maya Beach the 6th-9th.

Can you explain what packages you can offer or would the pricing be the same as listed on your website? I tried PM'ing you but I don't think it worked because I'm a rookie on here. If you were joking about the airfare, please pardon my gullibility!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom