Tip share with crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cptnemo

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Are tips shared evenly on your boat amongst captain, crew, and divemasters, or do you split by a percentage?

When I worked on a liveaboard (for 8 years) it was always split equally among all crew. Now that my operation runs day boats, it is split evenly among captain and DM.

Old thread, but good to compare...

As a DM, Instructor and Captain (only one at a time, generally), we split tips amongst working staff on the boat evenly...

We also dive for free on our days off, and I give our people the option to either tip at $10 / tank, or to work to load / unload the boat just as if you were working... Of course, the benefit is that you get the free ride to the site, and do not have to be part of the group underwater...

In our operation, the captain does just as much heavy lifting as the divemaster/instructor does - it is not an easy job due to some circumstances we have to deal with as far as getting tanks on to the larger of our boats...

If the Captain is also the boat owner, he typically doesn't get a cut of the tips,
that would be considered a double dip. He makes his money off the price of the trip.

If the Captain is also the boat owner, he typically doesn't get a cut of the tips,
that would be considered a double dip. He makes his money off the price of the trip.

This is very true...

My boat mates that are licensed get paid and they keep all tip money.

If they are not CG licensed, then they get free diving and all the tip money. As the owner and Capt, I do not take a cut of any tips, so at the end of the average day I think they make more than I do...

I work for a company and as Captain, I split tips evenly with all crew members. As for the boats that are operated by the owner here, the crew usually gets paid and they also split tips evenly among crew and captain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom