Tingling after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bee123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, newbie question here. I have noticed on the last couple of dives I have done (max depth 18m/60ft) that I experience a brief tingling in my left foot after I get back on the boat. It's very brief, not more than 30 sec, but it's always in the exact same spot on my big toe. I am not sure whether I should be worried about DCS as I have completed my safety stop on each dive and it would be weird for the tingles to occur in the exact same spot each time. Any input from anyone who might have experienced something similar?

How do your booties/fins fit you in that spot?

DCS is typically diagnosed by an appearance of very specific signs and symptoms in relationship to the dive profile or by a combination of signs and symptoms.

Numbness in your toe, if that is the only sign/symptom you experienced, particularly if it occurs in the same spot each time would most likely not be indicative of DCS. It could be how your wetsuit fits, how your booties fit, how your fins fit, the position of your legs in the water, any flexibility issues you have, nerve/blood vessel compression from wearing heavy gear that your body is not used, nerve/blood vessel compression due to standing around with heavy gear on your back/hips in footwear that is not very supportive (neoprene booties, for example), just to name some possiblitites.

Try working on increasing your lower body flexibility and strength to see if that helps.

Bottom line though....if you are ever concerned about something related to the health of your body, seek competent medical attention!!!...then discuss your experience on the internet for others to learn from.

-Z

I'd call DAN's non-emergency line and have a chat with them. I have used them before and they are most welcoming and very helpful.

(You are a DAN member with dive insurance, aren't you??)

My guess, as a stranger on the internet with no medical training, would be that something is pressing on that point during the dive either as you fin or within your gear elsewhere (reducing blood flow to that point).

I doubt it is DCS or anything related but it would be worth discussing this with a doctor who is familiar with diving to eliminate the issue.

+1 to both points

I'd call DAN's non-emergency line and have a chat with them. I have used them before and they are most welcoming and very helpful.

(You are a DAN member with dive insurance, aren't you??)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom