Time to replace my 30 years old Suunto EON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eyal K.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

After 30 years of reliable service, I think it's time to retire my (still working perfectly) Suunto Eon integrated computer and upgrade myself. The EON visited many dive sites over the past 30 years and never shown any issue.

Obviously I am leaning towards an integrated computer although I am still debating between a console with a hose (as my current EON) vs. a wrist computer with transmitter. As an older diver (I have over 30 years with about 1k dives), I always believed in less technology = less potential issues. less dealing with batteries and fewer points of failure which could spoil a dive trip....

On the other hand, it looks like the transmitters have reached good level of reliability and are pretty popular among many divers and maybe it's time for me to open my mind and give in :surrender:

As for budget, I would like to stay very close to $1K and I don't care much about the watch style of computers. I prefer the larger format screen underwater

I do underwater photography and video so obviously I am chasing my subjects and often my dive profile would like a rollercoaster ride :snorkel::narcosis:

So i did the initial research and am contemplating between these computers with leaning towards the Suunto but would love to hear some thoughts....
  • Suunto EON Core
  • Mares Genius
  • Shearwater Peregrine
  • Oceanic Proplus 4 / X
  • Scubapro G2 console
  • Aqualung i770R

Peregrine doesn’t have AI capability.

Well one off the list..... I must have missed it. Thank you

Peregrine doesn’t have AI capability.

Do you really need or want AI capability ? I just wanted a screen I could read, that was main goal buying a new one.
My back up has AI, bit it's hard to read.

Shearwater Peregrine is easy to read..It's not AI....they make others that are by Shearwater

Put the Perdix AI on your list. Its under a grand, has AI if you decide you want it, has a large screen, and the AA battery keeps battery maintenance/availability a breeze.

After 30 years of reliable service, I think it's time to retire my (still working perfectly) Suunto Eon integrated computer
Are you certain of the 30 years or that you actually have an "Eon"?

Scubapro G2 console
I'd go with the G2. There is also a G2 "hoseless" with AI that will be my first choice.

Are you certain of the 30 years or that you actually have an "Eon"?

I was thinking the same.

My first Suunto was a "Companion" back in the mid-90s, then I replaced that with the "Solution". Neither did Nitrox.

Yeah those two and at the end of the dive they would flash all sorts of useless information
when all you wanted was your depth for doing that little bit of deco that you weren't doing

I was thinking the same.

My first Suunto was a "Companion" back in the mid-90s, then I replaced that with the "Solution". Neither did Nitrox.

Yes, I started with a solution in early to mid 90's. No EON then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom