Time to help another noob pick out a wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krtismo,

To get back to your original post : I've got about 50 dives on my 7mm Neosport FJ/Jacket. So far it seems to be holding up very well and I'm not gentle with it. If you are going to be learning to dive in Michigan you will see water temps below 50 deg. I don't think you'll be comfortable in a 5mm jumpsuit - especially since you say you're kind of thin.

I don't think you can beat the Neosport for the price, and if you decide to go dry later on you won't feel like you've wasted a lot of money on the wetsuit.

I tried on Henderson, Akona & Pinnacle fullsuits and none of them fit me. Pinnacle even has short sizes and the amrs and legs were just too long, or if the arms and legs were right, I couldnt' breath (my chest is an XL but my arms & legs are a M-S or ML-S on most size charts) ....

I ended up ordering a Pinnacle 3mm Long Sleeve Shorty & John combo for warm water diving that I had "customized" to my measurements at the factory. I went with the 2 pc becasue that really gives me 3 options to cover a range of "warm" water temps: 1)the John with a dive-skin shirt, 2)the shorty by itself & 3) the 2pc's combined. Long term, if I pcik up a hooded core warmer, I can use that in combination as well

The "customization" added 40% to the total cost, but that was becasue I went with a 2pc suit (they charge a "customization fee" for each pc); had I gone with a fullsuit it would have only added 20%. It did take nearly 5-6 weeks & I haven't dove it yet, but I will be next week (West Palm Beach here I come:D).

I can tell you that when I picked it up on Saterday, I couldn't stop grinning :D while trying it on .... It really fits like it was made for me .. oh wait, it was!!! :wink:

Actually in this kit, the wetsuit comes in a large-long, which I think should fit me well.

Henderson 5mm Neoprene Jumpsuit Mens Package

The one thing that you should learn from this thread is that there is no one who can tell you what suit is right for you. You cannot "think" this is the right suit, you have to try it on. There is just no other way of going about getting a suit.

Hit some shops in your area and start trying them on.

Krtismo,

In the areas you see yourself moving to almost nay diver will have use for a wetsuit if not a drysuit so you wont be overbuying to go with the full blown 7mm set. On the other hand the 7mm will be too warm for some diving, especially summertime skin diving.

I am partial to full suits and vests as opposed to Johns 7 jackets. In your case if you get a good fit on the 7mm jacket you may be able to wear it alone. This does usually poses a compromise since you are seeking a good fit with and without a 7mm bottom layer on your torso.

Other thoughts on wetsuit selection can be read here. In the end the combination of climate change and water sports will lead to a wardrobe, not a single suit. If you have to make a choice then being prepared for the coldest is probably the best idea.

Pete

I think your best bet is to find a dive shop that will let you try one befor you buy it, My dive shop just ordered me a 5 mil, turns out they sent a 5 mil bottom and a 7 mil top, this was way to stiff and uncomfortable for me, the dive shop took it back. I'm back to diving lake michigan in my 3 mil. just did an Ice dive with the three mil, mouth was cold and under my arms got cold after about 15 minutes. So it all depends on your tolerance and the fit and what not. Check out your LDS and see if they will let you try one out.

Thanks for the links and info guys, I got the henderson 5mil and it was really small on me.

So time for some more research and reading, and time to hit up the LDS's next week

Thanks guys!

BTW...anyone have any good websites for wetsuit shopping online?

I've been shopping on Leisurepro and scubatoys already, I just don't really see too much in my size. I'm guessing I might need a Large Long or XL-Long.

Thanks for the links and info guys, I got the henderson 5mil and it was really small on me.

So time for some more research and reading, and time to hit up the LDS's next week

Thanks guys!

I've been shopping on Leisurepro and scubatoys already, I just don't really see too much in my size. I'm guessing I might need a Large Long or XL-Long.

You just don't get it.

Thanks guys!

Leisure Pro has a "Pressure Free Fit" guarantee program that may allow you to exchange your wetsuit for another size. You can look at the details on LP's site, but the short of it is it has to be unsued, and they have a courier pick it up and send the new size at no additional cost to you. The catch is the new size has to be of the same SKU# as the item you ordered. So, going with a different brand for this exchange is not eligible for the program.

That being said, I think many others in this thread have recommended actually trying on different brands in person at various dive shops. Check the fit, do all the bending and reaching that you will need to do to make sure it really fits. If the price is good there, buy it. If not check online and give the dive shop a price to try to match or beat.

Another thing to consider is buying last year's suits. I've even seen new wetsuits that were manufactured 2 years ago for sale online. I don't think the technology really changes that much from year to year and you will get a really substantial discount for taking something off their hands that works perfectly fine even though it is not the fancy new model or new color scheme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom