Time to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that I don't want to do advanced really, but the instructor I did OW and Nitrox with wanted us to have 25 dives logged before we took AOW. I'll get there this year easily, but I thought it would be best to get maybe a few more than the minimum before I moved on.

I've done two dives with analog gauges, and I always do a dive plan before I dive. I want to buy gear that I'm going to be happy with for several years and not wanting to replace next year...
Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure you'd at least considered the advanced class and it seems you have.

I still think a BCD is a better first investment than a computer or regs. Like I said, I think you'll be better off using the tables over a computer for a while and really getting to know them. Not just how to use them but develop a gut level familiarity with them. Regarding the reg, as a novice I doubt you'll really notice the differences yet and they'll all seem pretty much same when you're using them. The BC is where biggest configuration differences can arise: rear inflate, jacket style or BP-W; integrated weights or not; Where and how to attach the console and octo. In the end it's not going to matter which console or octo you have on your reg, even if your using a rental, as you should know exactly where they'll be and can find them without fumbling around when you need them. The only way to get that familiar with it is to dive the same BC and fine tune it to your liking. Besides if the shop is going to sell a reg that you already like in may, get the BC now and wait for the sale to get the reg.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to borrow a back inflate bcd from someone tonight to try out. I don't know anyone with a BP/W so I think I'd have to take a plunge to try one of those.

My mind is blown that you've been renting/ training on AL Legend gear, it's cool but that stuff is expensive, there's not much difference between the AL Titan LX series either, if you're wanting to save 50% of what you'd spend on a Legend setup. I just bought myself a AL Titan and a ABS Octo backup, fraction of the cost for what you're currently looking at/ using without much difference. By the dives you're describing it doesn't look like you'd even need cold water functionality any time soon.

We rent a couple AL Legends here. They share a lot more in common with the Apeks XTX series than the Titan series...The Titan is more reminiscent of the old Conshelf series.

For future deep water diving, I would probably go with a Legend or an XTX-series regulator.

+1 on the Zoop, it's a fantastic computer for the price. I would go with it as a wrist mount as opposed to a console mount though... or you could spend a little more and have the Vyper which has a backlight, as well as gauge mode.

Oorr you could go the ultra cheap route: For my first 10 dives, I rocked an analog console, Casio G-Shock, and NAUI air tables.

What do you guys think of Zeagle? I found a smaller local shop and they were pushing this brand. It sounds nice in that the manufacturer is only about 100mi from my house, and apparently there is a lifetime warranty. Reliable gear? I think I've decided I don't want subgear, but HOG looked interesting. I saw a lot of older threads mentioning it might be hard to find parts for HOG - is that still the case?

Well, you asked for input, and will get quite a bit, most of which reflects the subjective / personal preferences of those of us who respond. So, here are my subjective thoughts:
kelemvor:
I've been renting Tanks+Reg+BC+weights each time. I . . . had planned on waiting until the dive shop (Bill Jackson's) put it on sale as they replace the gear every year. I finally got a date for the sale, and I'm not sure I want to wait until the end of may. So I think I might just buy new gear.
Take a course in patience. First, waiting until May, and renting until that time, is not a big deal – you mentioned you like the gear you’ve been renting, and considering the frequency of your diving, you are not looking at a lot of extra rental expense. Second, it is only 3 months until May. Third, whether you buy from the shop having the May sale on used rental equipment or not, patience is always a good thing in buying gear.
kelemvor:
I'm curious about the wrist mounted computer gauge setups and if they are considered reliable enough to replace a regular computer. I just got my nitrox card so I need to make sure everything I get is compatible with nitrox as well.
I prefer a wrist mounted computer – for time and depth - and a simple ‘brass and glass’ SPG for gas supply information. I have several 2- and 3-gauge consoles sitting in my closet which I no longer, or at least seldom, use. I use a wireless, air-integrated computer simply for the convenience of checking my gas supply with a slight turn of the wrist, and downloading gas use data, but I personally don’t dive without a SPG as my primary pressure data source. So, I guess I do not consider them ‘reliable enough’. I wouldn't own, or use, a console-mounted computer.
kelemvor:
What do you guys think of Zeagle? I found a smaller local shop and they were pushing this brand. It sounds nice in that the manufacturer is only about 100mi from my house, and apparently there is a lifetime warranty. Reliable gear?
VERY RELIABLE gear, great equipment, both regs and BCDs. Zeagle is a great company that stands behind its products. I have 9-10 Zeagle regs (mostly 50Ds, with a couple of DS-Vs and an Envoy included), I service them myself, and love them . Zeagle markets a good line of regs which will easily meet your needs. I personally like my DS-V for recreational diving. Get an adjustable (ZX) second stage. Zeagle makes a BCD, the Express Tech, which is worth a serious look, given your stated diving preferences. It is a simple, light weight, very functional back-inflation unit. A word of advice – many shops seem to sell newer divers on a Zeagle Ranger. It is a terrific BCD, and completely unnecessary for the recreational diver. It has A LOT of padding and material, which simply adds to your weight requirement. It has >40 lbs of lift, far more than you need for single cylinder diving. The Ranger is a wonderful BCD (I own one), but simply not an optimal unit for a warm water, single cylinder diver, and costs a good deal more than an Express Tech.

I ended up getting one of the ScubaPro S600/MK25 setups from scuba.com for $425+$20 for overnight shipping. A lot cheaper than some of the other stuff I had been looking at. I'm thinking of putting an XS alt air on it (I like the clip attachment on that octo). Any potential problems with the XS alt air and the MK25?

Now it's time for me to start looking at computer/gauges/BC I guess.

The suunto zoop is a pretty good entry level comp for air/nitrox a bit conservative but when your starting out odds are you'll be air limited not NDL. guags I use a simple suunto pressure gauge with a built in compass some like wrist other don't I didn't care one way or another. BC eh I love my knighthawk from scubapro but I also dive in on a good day 46f water with a drysuit and about 40lbs of lead+tank(AL80 getting steels once I get a car here) so the lift could be needed if **** really hit the fan.

Check out the S/P knighthawk if you like back inflates. For the new diver, it takes a while getting used to on the surface especially when switching from a full jacket BC. Underwater, it's a charm. A bit pricy but I think well worth it. We started out with a basic MARES PUCK integrated comps with the intent to upgrade at a later time if there is a need to do so and we have mastered some of the technical complexities/challenges associated with deeper and multilevel diving.

I'm renting a back inflate (although not the knighthawk) this weekend to try out. I've been using primarily the AquaLung axiom (rental). I tried a friend's back inflate and didn't like it but it didn't really fit very well, so I'm hoping a better fitting back inflate will be a better experience. Several people have recommended back inflate or bp/w. The scuba-pro classic is on my list to consider, as is the axiom. I definitely like lots of D-Rings; they've been invaluable on the axiom for carrying a bag for shark teeth and clipping a "just in case" strap for my gopro camera onto. I've read a couple articles (recent one on this site for example) where divers kind of poo-poo using an octo in favor of a spare air canister. I might end up carrying both; and a DIY cansiter light is on my todo list since I enjoy tinkering with that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Rather than waiting until May, I would start cruising Craig's list. A lot of gear comes available at a good price and will have much less wear than used rental gear. I picked up a almost new Nighthawk w/ Air 2, MK25/G250hp reg for only $300. You have to be careful to look at the amount of wear on gear like a BCD, but quality regs should last decades with proper service. Lots of people start diving with great enthusiasm and then drop out after a couple of season and then want to get the gear out of the closet. If you come across gear that you are interested in you can get a lot of reviews and opinions here and at the leisurepro.com other retail sites. Quality gear will last you a long time. I have gear I still use after 30 years(the reg I bought in 1980 still works great).

I would say a computer is a good investment because it will give you a lot of data in less space than a set analog gauges (depth, time, temp, etc). It will also keep you honest when it comes to the NDL. As an OW diver, you won't come close to them, but eventually you will and you are better to be comfortable with the gear and its functions sooner rather than later. Continue to plan with paper tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom