Time to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got my NAUI certification last year and have had 13 dives since (really, 12 since I aborted one early into it). My next dive will be either SeaWorld or the Florida Aquarium's shark tank dive - neither of which allow you to bring your own gear as I understand it.

I've been renting Tanks+Reg+BC+weights each time. I really like the rental gear and had planned on waiting until the dive shop (Bill Jackson's) put it on sale as they replace the gear every year. I finally got a date for the sale, and I'm not sure I want to wait until the end of may. So I think I might just buy new gear.

I thought I'd tackle regulator/computer first, I've been using the Sherwood wisdom 2 computer with the aqua lung legend first and second stage and same branded octo. I like them, but I thought I'd ask around here if there was other equipment I should be looking at before spending so much. I'm curious about the wrist mounted computer gauge setups and if they are considered reliable enough to replace a regular computer. I just got my nitrox card so I need to make sure everything I get is compatible with nitrox as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by regular computer. If by that you mean a console or air integrated console there are some of us who will never go back to using a console or choose an air integrated computer over a simple brass and glass spg and a wrist mounted computer that is not connected in any way to the air supply. I dive what I consider to be the best computer on the market today. A Shearwater Predator. It is not air integrated. And it has no annoying audible alarms. It is however incredibly simple to learn, easy to update, and the support is second to none. But truth be told for a new diver a $200.00 computer from any manufacturer will work. And do so reliably. Don't fall for the expensive is better lie.

As for regs same story. Any reg will work at recreational depths. I prefed sealed regs with adjustable seconds. But you don't need to spend five hundred bucks to get a high performance reg suited for anything. You can in fact get a complete reg set with hoses for five hundred easy. If you know where to look. Don't fall for gimmicks like auto closure devices. Not needed and all they do is add $100.00 or more to the price. Get a reg that you don't need tools to take the face plate off.

And don't equate a name with value. No mfg is going to sell junk with so many lawyers still running around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was air integrated computer connected to the first stage via hose vs one that used a wireless transmitter. Along the lines of the Mares Icon HD or Oceanic Atom. I've seen a few of the wireless ones for sale, but have not used them.

Also, thanks for the input on the less expensive gear. I'm not sure if I'll even get to the advanced open water cert until 2014; I'm still having lots of fun in shallower water. I do want something that I'm not going to want to replace for at least a couple years, though.

Thanks for the reply. What I meant was air integrated computer connected to the first stage via hose vs one that used a wireless transmitter. Along the lines of the Mares Icon HD or Oceanic Atom. I've seen a few of the wireless ones for sale, but have not used them.

Also, thanks for the input on the less expensive gear. I'm not sure if I'll even get to the advanced open water cert until 2014; I'm still having lots of fun in shallower water. I do want something that I'm not going to want to replace for at least a couple years, though.

I have recently found that I need to upgrade my computer to start tech training. I'm not going to advise to go the most expensive computer you can get but you may want to make sure the computer you get has a guage mode. If I had done that I would not need to buy a new one now. BTW the Sunnto Zoop is a fine recreational computer (though a little on the conservative side) but it does not have a guage mode.

The SubGear SG-100 w/ a XP-H dive computer might just suit your needs.

I've been using the Sherwood wisdom 2 computer

That is the computer I own and if mine gave out today, I'd go right back and buy another one. I've owned 4 different computers and it's the best one I've had. Large and easy to read numbers and never once a problem with mine or the one my wife owns in hundreds of dives. As a matter of fact, I've never had any computer fail in 21 years of diving.

My mind is blown that you've been renting/ training on AL Legend gear, it's cool but that stuff is expensive, there's not much difference between the AL Titan LX series either, if you're wanting to save 50% of what you'd spend on a Legend setup. I just bought myself a AL Titan and a ABS Octo backup, fraction of the cost for what you're currently looking at/ using without much difference. By the dives you're describing it doesn't look like you'd even need cold water functionality any time soon.

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your plan, but if you're only diving shallowly and not coming near the no decompression limits on the tables, a computer isn't going to do much for you. Matter of fact with under 20 dives total to date I'd suggest you NOT use a computer yet and get experience with the tables and develop a better "feeling" for them.

If you're not willing to do the advanced yet (but I suggest you reconsider and do advanced before buying gear), I'd suggest getting a BC first so that you have more time to get comfortable in and with it. Then start thinking about regs or a computer.

Of course if you do start diving deeper or find the tables are limiting you, get a computer, but make sure you learn to use it properly. As mentioned, any Nitrox capable computer will do.

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your plan, but if you're only diving shallowly and not coming near the no decompression limits on the tables, a computer isn't going to do much for you. Matter of fact with under 20 dives total to date I'd suggest you NOT use a computer yet and get experience with the tables and develop a better "feeling" for them.

If you're not willing to do the advanced yet (but I suggest you reconsider and do advanced before buying gear), I'd suggest getting a BC first so that you have more time to get comfortable in and with it. Then start thinking about regs or a computer.

Of course if you do start diving deeper or find the tables are limiting you, get a computer, but make sure you learn to use it properly. As mentioned, any Nitrox capable computer will do.

It's not that I don't want to do advanced really, but the instructor I did OW and Nitrox with wanted us to have 25 dives logged before we took AOW. I'll get there this year easily, but I thought it would be best to get maybe a few more than the minimum before I moved on.

I've done two dives with analog gauges, and I always do a dive plan before I dive. I want to buy gear that I'm going to be happy with for several years and not wanting to replace next year...

My mind is blown that you've been renting/ training on AL Legend gear, it's cool but that stuff is expensive, there's not much difference between the AL Titan LX series either, if you're wanting to save 50% of what you'd spend on a Legend setup. I just bought myself a AL Titan and a ABS Octo backup, fraction of the cost for what you're currently looking at/ using without much difference. By the dives you're describing it doesn't look like you'd even need cold water functionality any time soon.

I don't see myself diving cold water for a long time, if ever. Maybe if I somehow get bored of all the great dive sites in Florida and for some reason decided to go north rather than south (unlikely). As for the rental gear, the shop has class gear, which is available for rental. They don't have a variety, just a whole bunch of the one setup. They sell it all and get new gear every year. I'm sure it's at least partially a sales tactic.

I wish I could find a local shop that had some of the less expensive stuff for sale so I could check it out in person. Around here there's Mac's Sports, Bill Jackson's, and Tackle Shack.. all of them tend to sell only the more expensive stuff - especially Tackle Shack. I passed "divers supply" last week on a business trip to Atlanta, but didn't have time to stop in. Might be worth a drive back up (~5 hours) given that their website seems to have a lot more variety than my local stores. If I buy the cheaper stuff, I'll have to order online (best I can tell) based on recommendations here. I order lots of non-scuba related stuff online, but usually I only do that when I *KNOW* exactly what I'm after and what else is available. I'm not even familiar with all the various brands in scuba gear yet... For example that subgear brand that was mentioned earlier - first I've heard of that. Online reviews I've found are mixed - although pricing sure is hard to believe (low).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom