Time For Some Industry Standards for Dive Computer Alarms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... And computers, like most other gear, are getting better.....
I agree on you on this one (and I know a bit about different dive computers .... we have almost 50 dive computers in our simulators) .... and there will be even better products down the road :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I are waiting for ICM based models to appear in real life. Theoretically sounds like a 'best' model relative to VPM-B and RGBM based on ZHL-16 still as a primary algorithm?

Uwatec's/Scubapro's PDIS seems to operate a little like ICM though it doesn't say so in the manuals? Anyone knows?

First off, Let me say that I appreciate everybody's input. Concepts and ideas need to be scrutinized by people who know what they're talking about. There's no doubt you guys are good divers.

In the perfect world, everybody would be a great driver (of an automobile), we wouldn't need seat belts, air bags, etc. but we all know that's not how the real-world works. In life, a lot of people forget, or simply decided not to follow the rules. A hypothetical couple on vacation, that hasn't done a dive in 2 years, are more than likely not going to be calculating SAC rates or have a solid dive plan. I'd say that they're more likely to get distracted too. These are the people who need to be targeted for better safety (idiot proof) gear.

First off, Let me say that I appreciate everybody's input. Concepts and ideas need to be scrutinized by people who know what they're talking about. There's no doubt you guys are good divers.

In the perfect world, everybody would be a great driver (of an automobile), we wouldn't need seat belts, air bags, etc. but we all know that's not how the real-world works. In life, a lot of people forget, or simply decided not to follow the rules. A hypothetical couple on vacation, that hasn't done a dive in 2 years, are more than likely not going to be calculating SAC rates or have a solid dive plan. I'd say that they're more likely to get distracted too. These are the people who need to be targeted for better safety (idiot proof) gear.

No matter how idiot proof you make something... there will always be a bigger idiot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry. Someone beat you to the stupidity that is alarms and safety devices!!!

http://www.diverguard.com/

Diverguard - aka the Blood Foamer!!

I know you have good intentions I just think it's very misguided. In your example maybe the couple doesn't even use a computer, they only dive every two years, maybe they figure they'll just follow the DM. There's just way too many holes in your idea. Scuba is relatively safe, spend that money where it will have a bigger impact. Auto fatalities have been trending down for decades in large part becasue of what you mention. But we still have over 32,000 auto fatalities every year. 150 scuba deaths is a drop in the bucket.

Don't worry. Someone beat you to the stupidity that is alarms and safety devices!!!

DiverGuard saves lives!

Diverguard - aka the Blood Foamer!!

The idea is a good one -- too make a "fail safe" rescue device when the recreational diver is in trouble, but the diverguard can easily cause more harm than good, as inflating the BC at depth may be the last thing you need.

First, if someone could design a device to inflate the BC such that a controlled rate of ascent is achieved you may have the start of something. It would have to be coupled to the dive computer and use servo control. The computer could decide that you don't have enough air to continue to stay down and safely bring you up passively to a depth that matches the air supply. It could be overridden by the user or shut off.

It would be analogous to the fail safe computer that skydivers use, that automatically deploy the parachute for you if you're dropping too fast and too low.

The problem is such a device would be quite expensive to develop and sell with the size of the scuba market, which is why we're seeing something simple but inadequate like the diverguard.

The idea is a good one -- too make a "fail safe" rescue device when the recreational diver is in trouble, but the diverguard can easily cause more harm than good, as inflating the BC at depth may be the last thing you need.

First, if someone could design a device to inflate the BC such that a controlled rate of ascent is achieved you may have the start of something. It would have to be coupled to the dive computer and use servo control. The computer could decide that you don't have enough air to continue to stay down and safely bring you up passively to a depth that matches the air supply. It could be overridden by the user or shut off.

It would be analogous to the fail safe computer that skydivers use, that automatically deploy the parachute for you if you're dropping too fast and too low.

The problem is such a device would be quite expensive to develop and sell with the size of the scuba market, which is why we're seeing something simple but inadequate like the diverguard.

Or......

Use your training to bring your buddy to the surface....

It's like the original request - technology for technologies sake. It solves no issues.

And even with that very complicated and expensive technology added to scuba gear some improperly trained diver would let the technology take them to the surface only to find that they have surfaced far away from the boat or shore and they still find a way to die.

This statement may be controversial, but frankly, if you want to make diving safer... you should require that people who dive are in good physical condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom