Time for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They feel about the same level of stiffness as my Jet fins, maybe a little stiffer because they are quite a bit shorter (about 4" shorter). They do look the same as the Poseidon fins although from the descriptions I've found it looks like the Poseidons and HOG fins are both negatively buoyant. The UTD Neutral/Postively buoyant fins are definitely not negative, although the spring strap makes them pretty close to neutral in salt water.

I didn't consider the HOG/Poseidons because I was looking specifically for a positive fin.

with springs they are slightly negative in fresh, about neutral in salt water. They don't float, but they certainly aren't like the Hollis F1 or Jet fins that sink like a brick. They are comparable to the OMS Slipstreams which with spring straps are about neutral

I'm interested in getting a pair of the UTD neutral fins. Can anyone advise on sizing when compared to Jetfins for example. I use XL Jetfins and am wondering what size Precision fin I should go for, I kinda sit between the L and XL when looking at the sizing chart

Check the size chart on the UTD website. They give the actual dimensions of the foot pocket. I measured my booties and compared against the measurements on the chart. I found the chart to be very accurate.

Ok could you help clarify the Length and Top Depth measurements. I know there is an explanation on the size charting but just wanted to be 100% clear before I order.

Also out of curiosity what size Jetfins do you have and what size Precision fins did you end up getting.

Thanks

It's pretty much what is stated at the bottom of the sizing chart. Length is from the end of the foot pocket to the spring strap. Of course, since spring straps can stretch a bit, you want the fin to be just a little smaller than your foot-in-bootie length. The Top Depth measurement is basically the same as the length of your instep. Measure from where the instep meets your shin to where your toes bend if you were to flex them upwards. If this fin measurement is way too long, you may have discomfort where the top of the foot pocket rubs your upper foot/lower leg when you flex your foot.

I use a size XL Jet fin, but a size L UTD fin. However, this is partly because I only use the Jet fins with my drysuit which has slightly oversized Turbosoles to accomodate a couple pairs of thick socks. I use wetsuit booties with my UTD fins and they fit perfectly. I'm just guessing but I would say the sizing between Jets and UTD's are pretty close.

Diver 43, I live in your neck of the woods and will offer another suggestion: The Cressi Master Frog (NOT other versions of the Frog). Much of my diving is drift diving along reefs or wrecks (hot dropping). I also do macro dives and reef dives from anchored boats. The Cressis are "high tec" in that they took the fiberglass/plastic material from their truly great freedive fins, shortened the blade a few inches, and widened it a inch or two. They are very light (due to the high tec material), have a lot of "snap" for power, are very durable, have a great foot pocket. They give really strong power in a current, much more than traditional jets. They are very lightweight, much more so than jets, but are still slightly negative in the water which is good for light wetsuit booties. They excel at maneuverability. The blades are very thin, and sideslip effortlessly for a frog kick and helicopter turn. They back-kick well, also. I teamed mine up with some Mares bungie straps and it is just an ideal set-up. For Florida ocean diving, I would rate it as the best all-around scuba fin I have ever used (I am a single-tank diver without needing to propel a massive double rig). I moved to these from freediving fins (still my ultimate preference for strong current situations) for their smaller size, lighter weight (good for travel) and maneuverability.

These are about $80.00 at Leisure Pro and with their return policy--nothing to lose!

Coming from heavy, stiffer blade fins I think you will be very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom