tight neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misterguy

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just completed my ow
now i want to get my own gear, so i want to start with a 7ml wet suit but the one piece back entry gives me a choking feeling in my neck
it seems to be the same no matter what brand or size i put on
my LDS tells me to deal with it, that i will get use to it
my question is if anyone else has this problem, and will it get better in the water
or should i find a jacket style suit
thanks

You don't want anything too restrictive around your neck. If the suit is too tight on your neck there is a risk of "carotid sinus reflex" which can possibly lead to unconciousness which is a very bad thing underwater. Shop around until you find something comfortable. If you want a rear entry wetsuit look for one that has an adjustable velcro collar. If you still can't find something that suits you go with a front zip, you can always leave the zipper down an inch or 2 for comfort.

I prefer a Front zip because I can leave it unziped about an inch or two and have a little more room in the front.

Get one that is comfortable. You may have to select a style that your shop does not carry. Don't try to "get used to it". Blood flow to the brain can be constricted by pressure on the carotids. Tight suits can lead to CO2 buildup and if you aren't comfortable you won't enjoy the dive. It reminds me of those gals in the National Geographic magazines with the brass rings around their necks. They are used to it but their necks look like a giraffe. Do you want to swim around with a tight wetsuit and end up with bulging eyeballs the rest of your life?

You definitely don’t want the neck too tight. It is not only uncomfortable and will make the experience less enjoyable but can be dangerous. I am not sure about Connecticut but in the Pacific Northwest we have several people that do wet suit repairs and customizing. I have a hard time finding wetsuits that fit me well everywhere; so I take my suit to a lady in Hood River and she can modify the suit and make a fit that is perfect. You could have material added in the neck. I haven’t done it for a while but her prices always seem to be pretty reasonable for what I got. I know of several people (including myself) who have purchased a used suit (mine was an old rental suit) and had it modified. This way, for less that the price of a new suit you can have a custom fitted suit.
So my recommendation is to talk to your LDS or a shop that sells kite board, surfing, windsurfing, or kayaking gear to find out whom in your area repairs wetsuits.

You don't want to feel like this --> :eek_2:
Good luck,

Soggy

Yes, of course you don't want the neck too tight. However, your LDS could be right. With scuba diving you have things covering your face, your head, restricting movement, plugged into your mouth, and more mummification-ish gear all over you. People don't naturally enjoy stuff up firm around their neck, and it's natural for it to feel foreign and uncomfortable.

You may just need to get used to it.

Either your LDS is a bunch of no-nothing, uncaring jerks, or they're right.

Again, this assumes the correct, snug neck - not one too tight.

One thought: Henderson Hyperstretch. Might be loose enough to help. Just a thought that may or may not help... but trying on a suit in a store is free. :)

Thanks for the replys
i did try henderson, i think i am just more sensitive around the neck i shouldmention i cant were ties
thanks

I am assuling that this is a shoulder / shoulder zip with integrated hood. If it's a hoodless fullsuit with a vertical back zip you may be a long torso person and need a suit sized accordingly.

So is it fit or perception?

Have you had any of these in the water for a dive? Did it feel better when wet and prone in a dive posture? That can change a lot.

Does your face get red with the thing around your neck? I know that's a "red flag" for a tight drysuit neck esal and this could be the same situation.

We are all unique, do you have a big neck? How are your dress shirts sized. A good neoprene tailor can add a relief patch to make some extra room if needed. Inflating a basketball in the neck and letting it stand for a few days can also help when repeated a few times.

Understand that for warmth the suit needs to fit close and with a hint of compression. If it is truly tight on your neck it is (as mentioned by others) a dangerous sutuation. Many divers do not fit off the rack suits so you need to be true to yourself here. A well fit suit will be like a comfortable second skin predive and disappear in the water.

Pete

Are you the type person who just can't stnad to wear a turtle neck sweater? If you answer yes to this, you need to look at getting a front zippered suit. You could send i6t to me and I would install a little 5 inch zipper at the neck. (for a fee, of course)
Carolyn
800-785-8362

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom