Tides and shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds about right. Early morning tides work well for Destin jetties since it allows you to get there early enough to get a parking space near the public entrance. And it leaves enough time in the day to do a few dives there, go get some lunch, then head to the springs to wash off the gear.

High tide is almost always prefered for diving. If currents are an issue then timing the dive to straddle the high tide in slack water is important. In other cases high tide get's you over tidal rocky areas with ease and gives you more depth to play in on she sites. How much it matters really depends on the site.

There wil be 2 high and 2 low tides in most days. The cycle is a little over 12 hours making it creep around the clock. The exact timing and magnitude will forever change based on lunar and solar positioning.

Tides are available online in regionally published tables. If you are way up in a tidal river or bay some amount of lag will be likely. Local knowledge or other published tables can apply the correct time offset to the general tide.

Tidal swing varries with lattitude (or is it longitude?) In the tropics it is slight. Perhaps 2-3 feet in FL. Here in southern Maine it's usually in the 8-9 foot range. Farther north in the state it is much more. This can dramatically alter the terrain of the site during a 1 hour dive.

A friend from Destin was visiting last summer and he said that for all intents an purposes Destin only has 1 tide per day! He is a knowledgable dive profesional so without my knowing the locale I'm thinking that it some confluence of the lunar cycle and a bay or estuary that levels the lesser daytime tide. Be sure to ask about this phenomenon.

Pete

Thanks for all of the info. So, based on the table below, I should probably plan on some early dives. For example, if I were to dive on July 1st I would want to hit the water at about 8:15-8:25 a.m. Then, I should talk to an LDS about dive sites once I get closer to my trip date (in June/July), and once I decide on the sites get the current information within a few days of the dive. Sound about right?

Su 29 High 7:02 AM 0.8 Low 6:12 PM -0.1
M 30 High 7:55 AM Low 7:22 PM -0.2
Tu 1 High 8:55 AM 1.0 Low 8:31 PM -0.2
W 2 High 9:57 AM 1.0 Low 9:32 PM -0.2
Th 3 High 10:54 AM 1.0 Low 10:23 PM -0.2
F 4 High 11:46 AM 1.0 Low 11:02 PM -0.2
Sa 5 High 12:31 PM 0.9 Low 11:25 PM -0.1

I'd say get there (to the water) a little before 8:15. maybe 8am. and see what the conditions are. The earlier you are the better your parking chances are.

In destin, a good "from the car check" is to drive over the hwy 98 bridge and look and see how far over the can buoy's are leaning. IF they are leaning pretty hard, the tide table is off and the tide is still coming in.

as for when you're closer to the date, just post a thread in the FL Conch section or the Deep Dixie Diver section of when you're wanting to go. Chances are they'll be several other Scubaboarders there to dive it about that same time. (or look for exisiting threads for your date range.) It's dove often by SB'ers.

If you want to try a few different shore dives, try the St Andrews jetties, about an hour east at the state park. Or the Navarre Pier. Or the springs that Reefhound mentioned. (aobut an hour or so away).

Thanks for all of the info. So, based on the table below, I should probably plan on some early dives. For example, if I were to dive on July 1st I would want to hit the water at about 8:15-8:25 a.m. Then, I should talk to an LDS about dive sites once I get closer to my trip date (in June/July), and once I decide on the sites get the current information within a few days of the dive. Sound about right?

You're defenitly right, aslong as you do Ocean diving.when you dive estuary's like we do over here,you also have to considder position of the sun/moon and the dive windows for a given site.Some are long, some short.Some have to be done at high and some on lowtide.Tidal diving dificult,no not realy but you do need the local info.
Tidal diferences go from 10 to 15 feet,site depending ,20 feet sun/moon/tide depending.

I think you'd be fine hitting the water on the 1st at 8 am.

As one of the other posters mentioned, you might want to think about diving either Morrison Springs or Vortex springs--both approximately an hour from Destin. They are nice springs.

With regards to Hawaii, the ocean is 17,000 to 25,000 feet deep around the islands and that is probably the reason our tides are only one to two feet (three is extremely rare). Most shore diving is better early, no matter the tide. Only a few dive sites need tide watch, and most tourists would be there without a guide or captain that knows.

Our shore dive schedules in South Maui are pretty time set, not tide set. There are some days and some operators who make decisions based on tide, but it's not necessary for most shore sites here.

Understanding tides comes from understanding the relative positions of the moon and sun relative to the earth as this plays the biggest roll in how tides are generated and therefore affect diving conditions to a greater or lesser degree. The tidal swing; i.e. the maximum difference between the low and high tides, is either increased (when the Earth, moon and sun is in direct alignment - spring tides) or decreased when the moon is perpendicular to the sun's alignment with the Earth (neap tides). The reason neap tides have lower tidal swing is because the sun's gravitational force cancels out some of the lunar gravitational force to some degree (about half of the moon's "pull") when the moon is at 1st or 3rd quarter.

Since the Earth's orbit around the sun is elliptical the distance to the sun during the calendar year also affects the tides - so we see greater tidal swing during the winter (January in Northern hemisphere) when the Earth is closest to the sun (perihelion,) while the tides are less affected by the sun in summer months (July in Northern hemisphere) when the Earth is furthest from the sun (aphelion).

The same thing applies to the moon's slightly elliptical orbit around the Earth. There's generally a "higher" spring tide when the moon is closest to the Earth (perigree) and a "lower" spring tide when the moon is furthest from the Earth (apogee).

For a pretty nice explanation of the workings of tides check out: NOAA National Ocean Service Education: Tides and Water Levels

So what you are looking for is when the tides are not swinging drastically - neap tides therefore generally offer better diving conditions than spring tides because there is normally less surge. Of course storm systems in the world's oceans also make for greater wave activity and this can also affect diving conditions through near-shore wave activity. Generally if the dive depth is less than half the wavelength of the waves you will experience swell and surge as the waves pass overhead. Diving to deeper than that should bring you past the wave bottom and you should be less affected by it.

Taking all this in consideration you'll want to dive during slack high tide, as most have already posted here, and also during neap tides for lower tidal swings.
For checking tides in US waters you could look at: 1-1 WaveCast
For checking storm systems check out:
1. Weather Underground
2. Wetsand's Tropical Center
3. NOAA's Hurricane Center

For swell forecasts check out:
1. Wetsand's Swell Forecast service
2. Surfline
3. Magic Seaweed

If you are really interested in learning a bit more about water conditions in the ocean I would recommend you start with Nathan Todd Cool's Wavecast Guide to Surf Forecasting (see: details here). He covers all the basics in pretty easy to understand language.

:coffee:

That was a good one,but there is one more variable,when sun and moon are in line.
Don't know how you call this in english.(we call it springtij / jump tide)
This is when you get the strongest currents in a tidal cycle.

Yeah I kinda missed that one coz I got sidetracked with work. :11:
Thanks for the addition. :D

[edit: are you talking about when the earth is at perihelion and there is a new moon (moon between the sun and the Earth)? I guess one could call that a super spring tide - it does happen yes :D)

So looking at this table...how much current are we talking at max ebb?

Where I dive if had exchange like this I wouldn't even worry about timing. :confused:

Believe or not when the current is ripping 13+knots at the Narrows we dive a wreck in a bay 1/4 mile away with little or no effects.

This is what is really neat about tides and current.
Location...location...location

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom