Tides and shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the time corrections may look like on your table:

Seaside park 0:00
Barnegat Inlet H +0:20 L +0:18
Barnegat (back bay) H +2:28 L +2:00
Normandie beach H -0:07 L +0:05

And again, some tables may give you predictions on tidal flow with corrections for a given location, but as there are so many variables with that it isn't worth it to consult the table that far. The main prediction will give you an idea of what to expect.

Didn't know about slack tides. I've read visbility is better at high tide. I'll plan future dives with both slack and high tide in mind.

Slack tide occurs (in the Gulf of Mexico) for a period of about an hour before and after the high (or low) tide. The best visibility is the slack high tide.

Tides and current vary depending on the location. As has been said, bottom contour, channel width and the exchange (the difference between high and low tide), and moon phase are all factors. Anytime I dive or surf in a new location I always grab a tide guide and if they have current tables I grab one of those too. Wander into a shop and discuss what, when, and where with the locals.
Safety first...
If you can find a local that wants to show you around, always offer to pay for air or lunch.

Have fun

I'm currently learning about the tide tables here in the NY/Long Island area for some shore diving, and this discussion has been most helpful...Thanks!

All the best,
Geoff

Hey,that's why we all joined :sblogo:

To have FUN-to learn- to have some more FUN.:D

Tides and geography have a big effect on currents. The further south you go toward the equator the less the tidal exchanges. In Hawaii they are usually only a foot or two.

True, Hawaii has about 3 feet max on tides but I don't think it's because it's nearer the equator. As that tidal "wave" passes by Hawaii and hits SE Asia it has much different effects. The Philippines gets 2.3 meter tides and farther to the southwest, Sarawak, Malaysia, on the southern tip of Borneo, the tides are over 5 meters. And this is practically ON the equator.
What all this means is, talk to some local divers or surfers and find out the scoop. Even if you read a tide chart, it won't tell you all the little quirks and oddities that 5 miles of coastline can change. Good luck. (to the OP) :D

Hey,that's why we all joined :sblogo:

To have FUN-to learn- to have some more FUN.:D

....LOL...

300bar, any chance you know the divers who work with the Scapino Ballet out of Rotterdam/Amsterdam? If so, they were in NYC this past week, but we had no time to dive...all work...but nice guys!

All the best,
Geoff

....LOL...

300bar, any chance you know the divers who work with the Scapino Ballet out of Rotterdam/Amsterdam? If so, they were in NYC this past week, but we had no time to dive...all work...but nice guys!

All the best,
Geoff

Sorry don't know them,can't do ballet on splitfins.:rofl3:

O btw they are from Rotterdam.:)

Thanks for all of the info. So, based on the table below, I should probably plan on some early dives. For example, if I were to dive on July 1st I would want to hit the water at about 8:15-8:25 a.m. Then, I should talk to an LDS about dive sites once I get closer to my trip date (in June/July), and once I decide on the sites get the current information within a few days of the dive. Sound about right?

Su 29 High 7:02 AM 0.8 Low 6:12 PM -0.1
M 30 High 7:55 AM Low 7:22 PM -0.2
Tu 1 High 8:55 AM 1.0 Low 8:31 PM -0.2
W 2 High 9:57 AM 1.0 Low 9:32 PM -0.2
Th 3 High 10:54 AM 1.0 Low 10:23 PM -0.2
F 4 High 11:46 AM 1.0 Low 11:02 PM -0.2
Sa 5 High 12:31 PM 0.9 Low 11:25 PM -0.1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom