Thumbs Down to Adventure Scuba at CSSP Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I have been observing this thread, one thought has crossed my mind. The students...

What a instructor does during a class leaves a significant impression on the students and given the situation under discussion the most important thing not addressed throughout this thread is what impression is left on the students both on the platform as divers descend unexpectedly on their head and the students instructed to descend on divers they know are below. What story are these new divers sharing about their first experience in the open water and how they must feel about the shops/instructors/dive site in question. Is this how we welcome new divers to the sport?

Just an observation.....

Now, time for the shameless plug:

When you want a private platform for you class, come out to dive from Giant Stride with Lake Travis Scuba and I will put you on a location with no other divers to interrupt your class. :)

Hey Robert - how was your vacation?? Was it worth it to miss the Fling??

Now, time for the shameless plug

:rofl3::rofl3:

Nice....:D

Hey Robert - how was your vacation?? Was it worth it to miss the Fling??

Over three foot long turtle plus more turtles, the elusive hammerhead I have heard about for years, reef shark, capture/kill a invasive lionfish, eels, lobsters everywhere, scorpion fish, normal cast of caribbean characters, great night dive, NO wind on North side, 100' vis, 84* at 100', a bonus dive at Stingray City, couldn't ask for more except 5-10' of vis with a bunch of Texas swampers. Pics posted on my Facebook page.

The trip was great but I would have enjoyed hanging out with the Swampers (don't tell my wife :no: ). Glad to hear you all had a great time and enjoyed the diving from Giant Stride with guest skipper Neal.

I disagree

they SHOULD be marked under water, surface is not good enough as I've stated before I'm not going to surface when I find a platform just to see what color marker is on it, thats insane.

If you come across a platform underwater and it has a clean float line on it. Obviously a line that hasn't been underwater for several years what assumption do you think it's safe to make?

If you come across a platform underwater what are you going to use it for? How long are you going to be using it?

If you come across a platform underwater and it has a clean float line on it. Obviously a line that hasn't been underwater for several years what assumption do you think it's safe to make?

I think it's safe to assume that I won't get dirty doing CESA.

If you come across a platform underwater what are you going to use it for? How long are you going to be using it?

Quick skills review and verifications, 10 mins, then we're outta there doing the tour and diving.

I don't understand the first part, what assumption do you think it's safe to make?

Second part, what does it matter what I'm going to use it for or how long I will be using it? My first reaction is "none of your buisness becasue it doesn't matter"

My time on the platforms will vary depeding on who I am with, if I'm scootering I usually just buzz it and move on, if I'm swimming, I may stop to check gear/make gear adjustments, I do remove gear on the platforms, adjust it, put it back on etc. One good example is re stuffing my long hose on sidemount, while wearing full 108's its easier if I have a platform to do it on. Moving the tank bands on sidemount, a lot easier on a platform. House routing adjustments, lots easier on a platform.

When I take my daughter I usually do skill review on a platform, any time i'm with my OW buddies that need to make a gear adjustment I take them to a platform, any time I am working with anyone for say their kicks, trim etc I take them to a platform.

Any time I'm pulling the "hey surpise I have your reg" stuff on people I'm usually on or near a platform

Any time I'm practicing drills I'm usually on or near a platform

any time I'm practicing with extra bottles, stages etc with me and/or with someone new, thats always on a platform.

My question for you is, why are you opposed to having the platforms marked under water? seams like 99% of this thread would be null if they were marked under water.

Over three foot long turtle plus more turtles

Turtles rock!!! :) Glad you had a great time. My June trip to Austin got sidelined by topside activities, but I have a firm resolution to be on the boat in July. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom