Three thoughts on the night between open water cert dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correction. @ 10m. Just checked my log book.
Well, 30s from 10m is 20m/min, that's way too rapid indeed, especially since volume is doubled in the last 10m.

The max ascent rate should be around 15m/min at depth and about 6m/min in the last 5m.

That’s a little scary. Since I am pretty confident in the time stated. May be off a little, but sounds like my ascent should’ve been around twice as long as I ascended.
Maybe my recollection of events is wrong, but I really don’t think so. Certainly wasn’t off that much.

That’s a little scary. Since I am pretty confident in the time stated. May be off a little, but sounds like my ascent should’ve been around twice as long as I ascended.
Maybe my recollection of events is wrong, but I really don’t think so. Certainly wasn’t off that much.
Were you taught, or is it your goal to exhale continuously on an ascent?

Are you talking about a CESA or a regular ascent? I suspect confusion.

Are you talking about a CESA or a regular ascent? I suspect confusion.
It was a skills thing in my OW course. As I remember it, I took a breath of air, removed regulator and, while continuing to exhale, returned to the surface. I know I'm getting kind of old and it was a few years ago, but I remember that being something they had me do.

I guess it was CESA. Had to look up the abbreviation.

Yes, that was a CESA. Taking 30s to do that from 10m is perfectly fine.

Yes, that was a CESA. Taking 30s to do that from 10m is perfectly fine.
I guess that depends on the diving agency.

The maximum ascent rate is 18m/min for PADI and 15m/min for CMAS.
Most non-customisable diving computers are set to an allowable ascent rate of 10-12 m/min.

Yeah... I think quibbling over seconds when talking about a CESA that happened years ago seems ridiculous. Maybe it took 33s, maybe it was from 9m, maybe he was 3s "too fast", maybe the point of a CESA is just to be controlled anyway. I stand by my "it's perfectly fine". I'd be surprised to see anyone following their computer ascent recommendation when doing an actual CESA under the circumstances it's required.

Thanks for the input. Would hate to think I did something wrong and wasn’t corrected. Based on all I have read and learned, it’s slow ascent good, fast ascents bad. Not that I’m a wealth of dive knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom