Suggestion Thread Revival Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Love Scubaboard but one thing that makes me boil is going into threads with new posts, reading all the way through them only to find out that the thread was started 4 years ago and someone revived it by essentially bumping it with summary advice for someone who no longer browses the forum. While I have no doubt the archive of posts that we have on this forum are invaluable, can we add an auto-lock system for inactive threads dated a year or longer? Adding to some threads is an important process which I understand but there's a good few I read through and can't help but think "why was this revived".

Hawkwood:
In reality, sometimes an "accidentally" resurrected post can be very informative if someone has not seen it, is looking for similar information, or has not thought of the subject matter. It's not a "rerun" to you if you haven't seen the episode before.

Again, no
issue here but when we focus on telling people so heavily to search for their topics, there's no point in resurrecting posts of any age because they're sitting there waiting to be read anyways. Again, remarking upon the usefulness of a discussion that has run its course. It's funny how such a true phrase has been "rerun" so often by those on the opposing side here. People are most willing to participate in new topics, it doesn't matter the age or redundancy, you'll always have a few trolls much like who show up in threads like these or who have gathered so much experience answering the same redundancies, but the general population doesn't mind rehashing existing topics with actually new information. One could say with diving it's actually important to let legacy items die as we learn new information because sometimes, it could be a better life preserving method. Is this meant as a general rule for all threads? Not at all, just one of thousands of possibilities since there's such positive diversity.

Fun to see that people who don't dig my idea can't just maturely post that they prefer another path without resorting to their inner 11 year old selves because someone is from whatever country. It's actually alright, I won't take offense to you for being "that guy" (or lass) who doesn't side with me. Ironic that there are certain subforums here that say this is a no flame zone, yet you try and merely suggest something and get accosted as a harlot or noob by trolls for trying to change the life of others. Suggestions can be just as countered logic and preference as any other topic (or ignored), sad to see so many pent up in talking about mature life/death topics they have to just "let it out" "somewhere". No harm in purchasing an online game and blowing some steam off, oh well. Close the thread, this won't go anywhere further. Thanks for those who replied with any sort of serious tone.

Oh, Zack.... lighten up, man! The banter about Canadians was just friendly teasing! (Even I can see this, and I'm famous for my lack of a sense of humor.)

To be fair to those who haven't taken a serious approach to your thread and "can't just maturely post," you did start right off by saying that the revival of old threads makes you, and I quote "boil". Hyperbole, my friend, invites hyperbolic responses--you cannot blame the respondents since you yourself set the tone in your opening post!

Coming online to SB is very often a way to pass the time, and perhaps the time you yourself have available for the pursuit of the SB habit is so limited and valuable that you can't waste a single minute discovering that somebody has revived an old thread, but the rest of us are not so constrained, and in fact we sort of enjoy the banter and get a kick out of the occasional zombie thread.

Relax a little and you might find that your boiling point isn't so easily reached, and you actually have more fun here!

(PS As you can see from the links I listed in post #15 above, this is not a new topic. In fact, you probably could have done a little search :wink: and saved yourself the time and aggravation of posting this suggestion yet again and getting nowhere with it.)

I started reading this thread, and then skipped to the end, and it still seems like a solution searching for a problem that only exists in the mind of the would be problem solver.

so he is a democrat?

(PS As you can see from the links I listed in post #15 above, this is not a new topic. In fact, you probably could have done a little search :wink: and saved yourself the time and aggravation of posting this suggestion yet again and getting nowhere with it.)

This is worth repeating, as it sums up the entire "maturely posted" content. Nothing new here. Just like starting a new thread on split fins or spare air, the arguement has been hashed out, both sides made their points, and no one had their opinion changed.

. . . One could say with diving it's actually important to let legacy items die as we learn new information because sometimes, it could be a better life preserving method. Is this meant as a general rule for all threads? Not at all, just one of thousands of possibilities since there's such positive diversity.
. . .

Yes, avoiding a "general rule" is the key. But if I recall from your original post, you suggested a general rule of "auto-locking" old threads, and that's what caught my attention. If I misunderstood your original post, my apologies.

Sure, if the beginning of a thread reflects information that is well accepted as being outdated--maybe even dangerously outdated--there's a possibility that people could fail to read the whole thread before taking the earliest information to heart. But I would guess those kinds of threads are uncommon. Equally uncommon might be an old thread that gets legitimately posted to only once every year or two, such as a trip report about an off-the-radar destination. In the latter case, it would make no sense to force people to start a new thread every time.

I'm afraid the only "solution" is for each of us to look at the date before posting a reply and make a decision whether to start a new thread or tack on another post.

Until the next time someone starts a new thread on doing away with old threads, I bid you adieu.

Back
Top Bottom