Thoughts on where to do DMT in Southeast Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenniferC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m looking into doing my divemaster somewhere in Southeast Asia. I am very interested in Blue Planet Divers in Koh Lanta, Thailand. They have a full/partial internship available, but I have been warned about internships where you’re more of a dive shop slave than an actual DMT. I was just wondering if anyone has done one of these internships with Blue Planet?
Another dive shop I was thinking of was Scuba Junkie in Borneo (I like that they’re very eco-friendly, and a friend really recommends them, but I am travelling alone, and I think I would get a bit bored on such a small island). I was also thinking about somewhere in Boracay in the Philippines as well, it would have more of a social scene, but I don’t think the diving would be as good.
Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated! (I would prefer not to go to Koh Tao, although I know it would probably be the cheapest)

Check out Koh Phi Phi too (Barakuda), also Lanta Diver run good DM courses...

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

Or Lumba Lumba on Pulau Weh...

Check out Koh Phi Phi too (Barakuda), also Lanta Diver run good DM courses...

---------- Post added December 4th, 2013 at 11:26 PM ----------

Or Lumba Lumba on Pulau Weh...

I'm thinking about doing my DMT in Koh Lanta.. What makes the DM program at Lanta Diver good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have the best facilities on the island (best boats, nice classrooms and their own pool). Also their DM programmes are well structured, and taught by very experienced instructors. Lanta has a steady flow of students coming through, and Lanta Diver is always busy with courses to assist on.

because the diving in koh tao SUCKS!!! not to mention the island has been destroyed and over crowded with millions of backpackers and dive shops.

If you get bored in Sipadan I think it's time to quit diving! as a DMT you will be doing lots of stuff at Scuba Junkies, and they certainly don't stay around Mabul island.

I stayed there 9 days and very much enjoyed it. the dive operation is pretty good there. Not as slick as others I've seen but it's certainly a professional outfit.

I’m looking into doing my divemaster somewhere in Southeast Asia. I am very interested in Blue Planet Divers in Koh Lanta, Thailand. They have a full/partial internship available, but I have been warned about internships where you’re more of a dive shop slave than an actual DMT. I was just wondering if anyone has done one of these internships with Blue Planet?
Another dive shop I was thinking of was Scuba Junkie in Borneo (I like that they’re very eco-friendly, and a friend really recommends them, but I am travelling alone, and I think I would get a bit bored on such a small island). I was also thinking about somewhere in Boracay in the Philippines as well, it would have more of a social scene, but I don’t think the diving would be as good.
Any input or other suggestions would be appreciated! (I would prefer not to go to Koh Tao, although I know it would probably be the cheapest)

Hi JenniferC :)

It’s great to read in your post that you want to continue your dive education! It’s the best way to improve your diving skills and gain more confidence!

A few years ago I was an internship candidate in Borneo, at Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures’, and my professional dive education began at their premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island. I’ve come a long way from my internship program, as I am now one of the PADI Instructor Trainers and member of the Go PRO team who oversee all professional dive training.

Get To Know Our GoPro Staff Team | IDC Asia

I’d like to share with you the experience of high standards in quality dive training I received as an internship candidate.
All our professional internship programs are fully inclusive of private en-suite accommodation, which is based in Kota Kinabalu city centre and very convenient with amenities close by. There’s a lot to offer in the city, so it just depends on your interests and travelling by public transportation is very simple and cheap too!
Our licensed minivans will transfer you to and from your accommodation and the marina, where you will be transferred to Gaya Island in the morning and back in the afternoon.
Our PADI 5 Star ID beach house is located in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park on Gaya Island, only a 7-minute fast speedboat ride from Kota Kinabalu.
An attractive benefit of the internship programs is the UNLIMTED scuba diving included! Within the parameters of the protected marine park, there are 49 stunning reefs with incredible biodiversity, and we schedule 3 dives a day, every single day of the year!
Everyday that you are at the island, during surface intervals there are free flow refreshments available and you will be provided with a buffet-style lunch.
All of this comes in a really fantastic value-for-money package!

PADI Divemaster | IDC Asia

Ask me any other questions you might have after browsing our Go PRO website, because I’ve had the first-hand experience as an internship candidate, so I can offer valuable advice :)

The standard of professional dive training is of a high quality and total adherence to PADI standards, as the Go PRO team are dedicated and highly experienced within the dive industry to counsel you to become the confident dive educator you can be!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow
Twitter: https://twitter.com/divedownbelow
Tumblr: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures
Pinterest: Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures on Pinterest

Add us on these various social media networks to get a glimpse of what goes on at our Gaya Island Dive Centre, as well as our KK Times Square HQ, so you keep up to date with what you have to look forward to in Borneo!

Anyone except Koh Tao. Really. Don't even consider the place!

The quality of DM courses is highly variable everywhere though so there's a chance of getting a terrible one just about anywhere if you're not very careful researching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom