Thoughts on USED gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFTechGeek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just came back from a vacation where I got in 5 dives. Nothing very strenuous. The reason for the dives were to get my 2 boys their open water checkout dives. I now have 2 PADI dive buddies and I'm looking at doing more dive trips in the future. I'm completely outfitted but my 20 year old boys only have mask, fins, snorkel. Having all ScubaPro equipment, I'm under the impression that they are the "cadillac" (is that a good analogy?) of dive equipment.

I'm wondering what the thoughts are of purchasing used equipment with the thought of upgrading in the future, purchasing new gear, or renting gear. I prefer to own my own gear and be completely comfortable with my own gear. And specifically, if you buy a used BCD, how does one ensure the bladder is sound and can it be repaired if needed?

Hoping to get major trip a year to Caribbean, Southern Asia, etc.

Thanks, welcome any constructive discussion.

John

if you plan to start diving monterey regularly, buying gear can make sense, otherwise just keep renting. maybe consider getting wrist dive computers. highly recommend looking at dgx/deep 6 for sheer value if buying new. buying used can be somewhat problematic if you aren't the DIY type as servicing costs will eat into savings such that you may be better off just buying new.

You can forget about SE Asia for a while unless you are talking Maldives at the moment. Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand have huge problem with "delta" right now.
Computer is highly recommended.

If the boys are growing up then BP/W would be a better option then jacket. Not that easy to out-grown a BP/W set up. Just replace the harness if you did not cut it too short in the beginning. Harness is dirt cheap to replace anyway.

Used Scubapro regs seem highly sought after. Analogies to car brands--which regs are the Mercedes/Cadillac, which are the Honda Accords, etc.--has been the subject of much spirited debate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy just about any brand of reg in used condition. (You'll have to have them serviced to replace the wearable parts, of course.)

A BC (or wing, if you're interested in the backplate-and-wing configuration) is the only item of gear I would NOT buy used. (Well, okay, no peed-in wetsuits either.) Leaks can be hard to repair. I get the impression many dive shops don't want to mess with repairing leaks, and if you look at some of the DIY threads you will see that repairing a wing bladder can be tricky. I'd buy a BC or wing in new condition, for the peace of mind knowing how many years of life it has left on it. But that's just me. If you look at the SB classifieds, you'll see plenty of wings come up for sale and be snatched up, so it's apparently quite common to buy used.

Buy good used gear and you’re good for a long time and for the cost of mediocre new stuff (think regulators) you can get great used stuff and not worry about upgrading, it’s all used stuff eventually.

back plate advice is good.

It depends on source etc.

You can get really good prices on gear sometimes. I got my halycon half normal because it had 2 dives on and was therefore used. For all intent it was new. By that same token people have gotten junk as well.

It's just like anything else just be careful.

In the past, my problem has been that most of the time I have bought things used, they end up costing me almost as much as just getting new in the first place. I have several friends who always buy used, happily and successfully.

I’d go Deep6 regs. And backplate and wings and be done.

Having all ScubaPro equipment, I'm under the impression that they are the "cadillac" (is that a good analogy?) of dive equipment.
Well, that’s certainly what ScubaPro dealers would like you to believe. Don’t get me wrong, they make great gear, but so do many other companies. The only shops I’ve been in that badmouthed other brands were ScubaPro shops.

ScubaPro is pretty much worldwide, so you’ll have a better likelihood of obtaining service while on vacation than many other brands, but unless it’s a 5 minute fix, it’s probably just as easy to rent in that case.

You can expand your search to include other brands and as long as they are well known, and still in business, you can be reasonably certain that they make decent gear.

I'm wondering what the thoughts are of purchasing used equipment with the thought of upgrading in the future, purchasing new gear, or renting gear. I prefer to own my own gear and be completely comfortable with my own gear. And specifically, if you buy a used BCD, how does one ensure the bladder is sound and can it be repaired if needed?
Nothing wrong with buying used gear if you know what you are looking at, but there are risks.

For regulators, factor the cost of servicing in to see if it’s a deal. I’d want a service done before using it. I’d also want to pop off a couple port plugs and have a look inside. If they don’t come off, or are crusted with salt, that’s an indicator of neglect. I’d also want to put it on a tank and cycle the purges to make sure air is flowing when it should, and not when it shouldn’t. If I were selling my regs, I’d have no problem giving the new owner the service history, as I have that from new for each.

BCs can be tough, but at a minimum, I’d want to fill the BC to completely full and listen/feel for air. It could have a slow leak that you might not detect, but larger leaks should be detected. For small leaks, you’d really need to leave it full overnight, but that’s not feasible before the sale. I’d also want to unscrew the dumps to look at the threads and internals as much as possible.

If you are certain that your boys are committed to diving and will not lose interest in a year or so, get them their own gear as soon as you can. If you are unsure that they will be diving long term, stick with rental gear for now.

My personal preference is to not buy used BCDs. You can check to see if they hold air overnight without leaking, but you never know if there is a weak spot in the bladder because it got pinched in the past or if a plastic part got hit with a tank that weakened it enough that it could fail at any time in the future.

Used regulators and computers could be a good buy or you could get a lemon. If you do decide to take a chance on used, make sure it is a brand that your local dive shop can service.

A good place to take a chance on used gear is at your local dive shop, in the fall, when a lot of shops sell off their rental gear or unsold older gear. If you get a lemon, there is a better chance that the shop will repair at no cost or give you a refund for a return. Sign up for your local shop's email list and watch their web site and facebook page for announcements.

The best time to buy new gear on sale is Black Friday. Both local shops and online dive gear sellers usually have great discounts that week.

Used gear? I have never purchased a new regulator. I have purchased a couple new BC's, mainly because that's the only way I could get the size I needed.

That being said, I am comfortable servicing my own gear and that makes all the difference. There are plenty of excellent used regulators out there that only need a service kit and a good cleaning if you're willing to take a little risk. There are a few problems like nicked knife edges or pistons and scratched housings that can make a regulator unserviceable, or close to it, but regulators that are generally lightly used, well maintained, and in good cosmetic shape usually don't have those issues. I have never gotten a bad first stage. I did get a bad AIR2 once but that's ok because they say I'll die if I try and dive with that.

Scubapro gear is good and easily serviceable. There are a couple tools that make the job much easier and you can get those from herman on this forum (other sources too but his tools are great). If you REALLY want to be comfortable with your gear, self servicing is the way to go. You'll learn how it works, why it works, and be able to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it if it breaks.

If I'm buying used gear it's been Scubapro Mk5's or 10's and 109 or G250 seconds. I think (just my opinion) a MK10/G250 is about as good as it gets. I have 4 sets now. I dive one and have the others rebuilt and ready. I travel with 2 and I can let a friend use one if they don't have their own gear. I'm working on the 109's because I like the looks I get when I'm diving classic chrome. People think you'll die diving that old thing.

Also I've bought a couple old double hose US Divers DAAM regulators. Those really get weird looks at the beach. Haven't been really burned yet purchasing used.

One last thing. Used is not always cheaper once you include shipping and rebuild kits. If you factor in time and tools you could spend more. But this a hobby right?

Good luck if you decide to go used. You can get good equipment and sometimes a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom