thoughts on St Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pepper484

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to scubaboard...

I've done a couple of snuba dives in Maui (which probably doesn't count!) and then a resort dive in Grand Cayman...and got the bug! I absolutely LOVED it!!! The GoPro footage I shot is something I still go back and watch!

I'm looking at getting certified. My wife and I are planning on either Grand Cayman or St Lucia at the end of August...would really value your opinions and thoughts on best diving companies, best diving, etc.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

I only did two dives on St. Lucia, but I could do Superman's Flight for six dives in a row. It's awesome.

St. Lucia is a little unreal. Driving is on the left and the ride is like a video game. I loved driving it, but it wore me out. The switchbacks are incredible. The people and the food are great. There's a lot to do, but I do not recommend hiking the Piton unless you do half marathons in the mountains every other day.

If you want to dive Superman's Flight, I recommend staying near Soufriere. I have a great recommendation, if you're not looking for a resort.

Anyway, lots to do topside. And the diving is a hidden gem. Message me if you want to know more.

I've been to St. Lucia twice and while the diving isn't terrible in my opinion it's not great. However the sites to the south and those around superman' s flight are the best. For whatever reason the current was slow on all dives both times and including superman's flight (once in late August). It's been a long time since I dived Grand Cayman (15 years?) and based on what it was then, I would choose Grand Cayman for diving. I have seen some posts saying Grand Cayman diving has changed so maybe those that have dived it recently will comment.
Topside St. Lucia is very nice but can be very hot and humid in August/September.

If you are willing to spend the time which it appears you are in order to go to St. Lucia and you are there for mostly diving, then maybe consider LIttle Cayman or Cayman Brac.

That being said, there is a big difference between snuba and diving in a current which you should experience in St. Lucia at superman's flight under usual circumstances.

I dove Grand Cayman last year. I found the coral life to be very nice, but the it seemed almost devoid of fish life. I would easily choose St. Lucia over GCM, with the exception of Stingray City. That's an awesome 30 minute dive at 12' deep.

Did 18 dives over a ten day period in St Lucia this pst February. The reef is alive and vibrant, lots of fish and other life.
We stayed at Sandals Grande , which is up to the north of the island. It was a 45-60 minute boat ride each way to the good dive sites on the SE part of the island.
I have not dove GC yet, but gotta say SL was awesome.

Here are some threads with discussion that might help:

Pros and Cons of Cayman Brac vs. St. Lucia
St. Lucia and Reasonable Lodging.
St. Lucia Recommendations.

Both have a reputation as pricy, I think people drive on the left in both, factor in airfare cost when comparing trip costs because it'll likely differ, and the topside aspect of GC vs. SL is way different and GC is a very popular scuba destination, including a repeat destination, whereas St. Lucia seems, from what I infer from forum threads, more of 'the road less traveled' dive-wise (I don't recall threads from people who make several dive trips there), but that might make it 'special.'

I have no opinion on which is 'right' for you. Any thoughts on what you guys prefer to do when not diving?

Richard.

We stayed at Sandals Grande , which is up to the north of the island.

I've seen a Sandals discussion in the past talking about 45 minute dive time limits; hopefully that's not common, but it sounded like it might be. Did you dive with Sandals, and if so, what was your experience with them? I believe with Sandals some diving is included, but overall, even with 'special' Sandals looked pricy to me (but is obviously worthwhile to many people).

Richard.

As far as the resort itself goes, I love the sandals brand. I like the idea that meals are a la cart and not buffet. Well supper is I should say. I do find they go a little over on the service side as well. Even tho it’s big $ I would go back in a minute if I could afford to lol.
The diving was good at the Grand can’t say about the other two. We had a couple dives up almost to the 60 minute mark. It all depends on who is in the group. They don’t want you back on the boat with less than 1000 psi ( yes they are a little overly cautious) . Diving is completely included except for night dives for certified divers. The course however cost extra. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lot of leaking “o” rings on tanks.

I went to St Lucia for my honeymoon in July 2015 and my wife and I did 4 dives while we were there. I could easily have done another few days of diving, but that wasnt the point of the trip. I still remember the colors and fish life being amazing (granted my prior experiences were in Koh Tao and Monterey, so a little different). We dove around the Soufriere area and I really liked staying there (though we also stayed 3 other places on the island). We dove with a little op on the beach called Action Adventure Divers, run by a local named Chester. He was great for us, as we maxed at four people on a dive and he has a ton of experience working with newer divers.

That being said, there is so much to do on that island that I can see why it isnt well known as a dive destination. We hiked the Piton, and it was hard but doable. Lots of snorkeling. Marigot Bay is still one of the more beautiful places we have visited and one of the few we have seriously talked about returning to. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I went to St Lucia for my honeymoon in July 2015 and my wife and I did 4 dives while we were there. I could easily have done another few days of diving, but that wasnt the point of the trip. I still remember the colors and fish life being amazing (granted my prior experiences were in Koh Tao and Monterey, so a little different). We dove around the Soufriere area and I really liked staying there (though we also stayed 3 other places on the island). We dove with a little op on the beach called Action Adventure Divers, run by a local named Chester. He was great for us, as we maxed at four people on a dive and he has a ton of experience working with newer divers.

That being said, there is so much to do on that island that I can see why it isnt well known as a dive destination. We hiked the Piton, and it was hard but doable. Lots of snorkeling. Marigot Bay is still one of the more beautiful places we have visited and one of the few we have seriously talked about returning to. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I can't tell if you are saying that you snorkeled in Marigot Bay or that it was a beautiful place (which it is) and you didn't snorkel. When we were there on one trip we did an SI in Marigot Bay. The water very murky and we saw alot of barracuda close to shore. We were warned not to swim or snorkel near the small piers and beach on the north side of the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom