Question Thoughts on OMS Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For whatever reason, OMS has always seemed to be more popular in the UK and with the N.E. wreck diving community in the U.S., not so much in cave country.

For the NE region, I vaguely remember that their HQ (or warehouse) was in NY but this was way back before OMS was sold to DUI and its partner, BTS. Their LP steel tanks were very popular with wreck technical divers in NY/NJ.

Looking at getting a bp/w setup soon, had a look at some OMS gear and looks good, seems kinda difficult to get in the UK. Was also looking at Apeks gear. Only going to use a single tank at the moment but I am soon to strap some doubles on. Aluminium preferably because i would like to travel with it 😀. Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Many of their designs aren't my personal favorite, but I have never had any quality issues with anything from them. What they make is built well, if you like it, it will last you a long time.

@Cammy3761

This is a generic response first.

Backplates are generally just backplates. As explained to me by the owner/founder of Helium Dive Gear, the main cost differentiator is time on the machine, as steel and aluminum are cheap. How well rounded are the edges? There's also the finish. Deep 6 made the most beautiful backplates before Covid killed one of their suppliers. If someone is very tall or short, they may want to look into Halcyon as I don't know anyone else who makes tall/short backplates.

For cold water drysuit diving, you may want to consider the 10lb bp from subgravity. For my rebreather, I like subgravity's adjustable harness, though I can't mount backup lights to it the way I can with a single piece of webbing.

Halcyon makes the best webbing in terms of durability and "just right" stiffness, but I still go with webbing from my local fabric story or DGX for Hogarthian harnesses. I don't have enough time with the Deep 6 harness to judge its durability (absorbs less water, so I suspect it will last much longer, but that is a guess only).

Wings all depend on the quality of the bladder and the protective fabric.

To your question. OMS makes perfectly good wings. The red to me is heinous, but other people like it. No one should care what my aesthetic tastes are but me.

From just cursory glances, the wings seem to be covered with a durable material.

In general people are happy with the gear they buy.

In general people are happy with the gear they buy
Generally.... yes,
but still annoyed that I bought a Tulsa liberator jacket bcd 20ish years ago.
Should have just bought a BP and wing and been done,
Not bitter about it at all 😉
Next time I know what not to buy.

Also never buy something that doesn't have user replaceable batteries...
Just a tip,

Why would you say that?

If the priority is diving, choose the plate to match your diving, if not, an old plastic backplate will be even lighter than the aluminum. Of course all of this soul searching is over a few pounds.

Not to put words into the mouth of happy-diver, as I would have to be more cryptic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom